Do you give nicknames to your dogs??

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Having very recently lost our ancient (and utterly fabulous) Labrador, Spot, I'm looking for something to take my mind off my sadness, so I've been on a little nostalgia trip.
Each of our dogs has had a short name so why do we then give them longer nicknames? Or is this just us??
Our JRT named Sam was usually addressed as Mr Terrier, but was sometimes known as Hamish McTavish, Monsieur Terriere (In a french accent, obvs), The Terrierist.
Our Lab, Spot, was mostly addressed as Spotster Doggle but was also known as Spotty Dog, Mrs Creaky Feet, Spotster Dawg (with a Texan lilt), Mrs Chicken (she did love chicken), Creakster Feetster and Old Wobbly.
Our Lab, Jake is usually addressed as Jakey Jakey Jakey (so good they named him thrice), Jake-o, The Boo and Booster Bear.
Then Boo (already named when we got her, which kind of ended some of Jake's nicknames), our youngest Labrador turned up, she is known by me as Peril (shortened from The Yellow Peril), La Perillo (Spanish accent required), Ginger Ninja and some other names that would be considered unprintable!
So, go on, don't be embarrassed, I've told you mine, now you tell me yours!!☺️😊😊😊
I should add that I think the reason behind this is that their importance to us warrants more than one syllable, so we lengthen their names to reflect this. 🤔

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
Are you my sister by another mister? o_O:D:p

We have Brandy (11 year old lab)... Pandy Wan the Dandy San
Tawny (5 year old lab) Dobby Dog or Pongo Wiffy
Penny (2 year old lab) Nif the Wif...or Wiffilous...
Ffee ( puppy lab) The Poley Bear
That is only a limited example of nicknames, and they answer to whatever you call them, even on the shooting field I hear OH say 'Nif, here'.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Are you my sister by another mister? o_O:D:p

We have Brandy (11 year old lab)... Pandy Wan the Dandy San
Tawny (5 year old lab) Dobby Dog or Pongo Wiffy
Penny (2 year old lab) Nif the Wif...or Wiffilous...
Ffee ( puppy lab) The Poley Bear
That is only a limited example of nicknames, and they answer to whatever you call them, even on the shooting field I hear OH say 'Nif, here'.
Clodagh, I could well be! Ours answer to all of their pet names too, in fact The Yellow Peril will sometimes only recall if I I shout "La Perillo" in my best (shockingly bad) Spanish accent. Oh , the embarrassment☺️

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Daisy is (much to my OH’s embarrassment) called LuLu by me (he thinks I’m referring to her lady bits. I am 😆. It somehow happened after her first season when her poor lulu was so swollen).

He calls her Fluffer Pants if Love, which is far more appropriate 😇

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Daisy is (much to my OH’s embarrassment) called LuLu by me (he thinks I’m referring to her lady bits. I am 😆. It somehow happened after her first season when her poor lulu was so swollen).

He calls her Fluffer Pants if Love, which is far more appropriate 😇
Love that ! This is cheering me up no end, thanks guys!

{97702}

Visit site
Well I always thought this was just me 🙄

Amy.... Aimey Shmaimey.... Shamameless.... Shameless

Millie.... Milliepops (after the HHO user!).... poplet.... popsicle.....

Marty.... Smartie Marty... (sung tunelessly) “only Smarties have the answer”

Ace.... acelet (when he is being good).... Aceh**e (when he is being a pest, courtesy of CC 😂😂)

Stiff Knees

Visit site

Ace.... acelet (when he is being good).... Aceh**e (when he is being a pest, courtesy of CC 😂😂

Ace.... acelet (when he is being good).... Aceh**e (when he is being a pest, courtesy of CC 😂😂)
Love Ace's nickname - Does he get that a lot??😂😂❤️

oldie48

Visit site
What a relief, I thought i was the only one! However, I do it with everyone, people, horses, dogs the lot. Stanley, the BT get called Stanoid, Stanley Manley and tbh lots of other things too embarassing to mention, Rose is Rosy toes, Bisto was always called Bistoid (bit of a theme there) or Bistaluss, My lovely daughter (Lydia) gets called Lyd to her face but Slidey and Lyola when talking to my OH, who thinks I am a bit odd tbh but is used to it now. so pleased others have this odd way of naming!

{97702}

Visit site
Love Ace's nickname - Does he get that a lot??😂😂❤️

Not that much so far but it is early days 😂 I’m a pretty intolerant person generally but thankfully I have quite a lot of patience with new rescues, I suppose it’s because I’ve been there before and seen them settle 😂😂

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Yep always have, at the moment I have

Twink- Twinky Mcwinky

Panda - Pandarama

Mcgregor -Mr Mcgregor

Wallace - Wallace Pooha (he is of multiple mixed breeds and quite unusual, if anyone asks what he is we say he is Pooha

Whimsy (one of my horses) The Whimsasaurus.
This is an International phenomenon!!

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Yep always have, at the moment I have

Twink- Twinky Mcwinky

Panda - Pandarama

Mcgregor -Mr Mcgregor

Wallace - Wallace Pooha (he is of multiple mixed breeds and quite unusual, if anyone asks what he is we say he is Pooha

Whimsy (one of my horses) The Whimsasaurus.
I think I'm going to add The Jakeosaurus to my list !

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Nobody knew the puppy's name for months because he is variously Sharkpup, Schiplet, Buglet, Doobug or The Doo.

Bigdog #1 is Daxable Noot, bigdog #2 is Big Boney Baba. Spaniels are Roscoe Cockerpants (R.C. Pants, Esq.) and Rippers or Wips.

At work we've just adopted an office canary, name of Cluster...

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Nobody knew the puppy's name for months because he is variously Sharkpup, Schiplet, Buglet, Doobug or The Doo.

Bigdog #1 is Daxable Noot, bigdog #2 is Big Boney Baba. Spaniels are Roscoe Cockerpants (R.C. Pants, Esq.) and Rippers or Wips.

At work we've just adopted an office canary, name of Cluster...
Heavens, I need to get more creative, I'm lagging behind here!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Aled used to get called Mr Bones as in Aled Jones.

Luna is usually, for some strange reason called, whoa whoa Loony as in shaking Stevens whoa whoa Julie! No idea why.

Bo is Mr Bo Man, sung as in stop, wait a minute Mr Bo Man. Again, no idea where from.

Is a little embarrassing now I’ve put it down in writing, especially as I cannot sing for toffee 🤣

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Aled used to get called Mr Bones as in Aled Jones.

Luna is usually, for some strange reason called, whoa whoa Loony as in shaking Stevens whoa whoa Julie! No idea why.

Bo is Mr Bo Man, sung as in stop, wait a minute Mr Bo Man. Again, no idea where from.

Is a little embarrassing now I’ve put it down in writing, especially as I cannot sing for toffee 🤣
No! Don't be embarrassed, embrace it, we're all as mad as each other!🙉