Do you go places in your horsey clothes?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Places I think come into 2 catagories!
1- dentist/dr/ friends (not horsey) clean places etc
2- shops/ bank/ post office

I don't- not in a million years and tbh it's a hassle. It came up in conversation with some friends who were stunned I was racing home from work (yard) to shower and change for a dr apt only to chuck old stuff back on to go do my own horses after.
They all agreed they go places in the clothes they are wearing ? I'd be mortified!
I can just about handle a quick trip to a cat 2 place ;) but then I feel self conscious in case I smell or am considered dirty!
Really just me??

Highlands

Visit site
Occasionally pop into supermarket in jods and boots but totally agree anywhere non horsey shower and change. Even A+E!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would not go to the dentists or doctors but I would go to post office local shops etc but this is a rural area and it's ' normal ' for lots of people to do this on non horsey friends good friends yes I would if it was just dropping in .
I am not happy in th supermarket " horsey" so always change for that.

Firewell

Visit site
I try not to! I have clothes I use just for horse stuff and they're minging.
I always hate it when I have to stop at the petrol station on the way home from the yard or the shop to pick up something. I feel like a poor stinky tramp and that people are looking at
me!
Likewise I never wear my nice stuff at the yard. I like to relax at the stables and enjoy my horse without worrying about getting dirt on my nice clothes. When I'm all dressed up I hate dirt and hairs sticking to my coat ect.I'm like 2 different people..lady and the tramp lol.

Clippy

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of getting changed to go to most places! Doctors possibly, but anywhere else, well, I have horses and am expected to smell.

Oddly enough, the woman on the till at Asda said to me the other week "I used to have horses and I really miss the smell", so there!

debsg

Visit site
Supermarket and the bank, and I have gone to get my hair cut in jodhs, but my hairdresser is a friend :)
I wouldn't go to the doctor or dentist, or anywhere else really. And probably not even the supermarket if I was really filthy. I've never had anyone object though.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Shops ect,, I popped into work once cos of a problem, and work colleague told me I ming of horses ... So I said ok sort your problem out yourself , and I went back to my mucking out!!!

jenz87

Visit site
Yup, I work 7 days a week with horses and 8am till 6pm every day. So if I go anywhere it's in my lunch hrs so I go everywhere in horse clothes. In an ideal world I wouldn't, but it's the case of not going if I had to change because of time...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Places I think come into 2 catagories!
1- dentist/dr/ friends (not horsey) clean places etc
2- shops/ bank/ post office

I'm the opposite: dr/dentist/ shops "unclean" and don't want to sully my nice muddy horsey clothes with people's unsavouryness :D

I do stop by post offices / supermarkets in horsey gear though as I'm too lazy to change :D

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I get changed for places that matter, or where non-horsey people are likely to be in close proximity (i.e. doctors), but I regularly go tramping round shops in old hoodies, jodhs, muckboots and mud.

It's slightly worrying how many people still invade personal bubble space when in a checkout queue - apparently the smell, mud, and trail of horsehair isn't enough of a deterrent...

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's slightly worrying how many people still invade personal bubble space when in a checkout queue - apparently the smell, mud, and trail of horsehair isn't enough of a deterrent...

Perhaps you could try the old "oh my ringworm's playing up again, don't get too close" routine :D

Jazzy B

Visit site
yep I go to the pub in my horsey clothes all the time and the other day went to the pub for lunch in my horsey clothes (that wasn't planned) and I thought we were going to be asked to leave! I probably would't go to the hospital/doctors or dentist in my riding clothes though unless it was A&E :)

ladyt25

Visit site
I regularly go to the garage in horse clothes as is on the way/way back from the stables. Have been to Tesco/Asda in chaps, jodhs etc but try and not be too filthy! Never been to Docs or Dentist but then rarely go to the Docs anyway and if I did it's likely to be an appointment already booked so would have time to get changed.

Did got to A&E in semi-horse clothes as I really didn't want to go in ridiculously skanky. Managed to change my boots and remove my smelly jacket but as I had just broken my collar bone, it started getting sore by that point and I thought best just go. They had to cut my jumper off me when I got there as by that point my arm was too painful to move! :(

3OldPonies

Visit site
Local corner shops, garages and the local supermarkets, tack shops, etc., not a problem - horsey clothes it is, and loads of other people do it too - it's a pretty horsey area so no-one bats an eyelid. Just make sure that my boots are clean cos I think trailing mud is taking things a bit too far. Having said that though, when I do go to the shops horsied to the hilt it is usually because I'm either on my way to or from the stables and the shops are on the route home. Life is too short and fuel too expensive to keep popping home to get changed and re-tracing my steps. Wouldn't go to the Drs, dentist or A&E (except if I was the accident) though in horsey gear.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Shops are on the way home from the yard so usually stop on the way home. I do make sure I don't have boots covered in mud and am not usually too filthy, however where I live we have tractors etc going through the centre of town regularly (and escaped cows in centre of town on one occasion :D) so a lot of folk are rural/farmers, plus the shops are right opposite the farmer's market.

Doctor's etc I do try to take clean clothes with me to change before going but certainly don't have time to go home first

Orls

Visit site
I don't mind going anywhere in my riding clothes but then I don't wear particularly scruffy clothes to the yard and I always keep a pair of Ugg boots in the car so I can change out of my riding boots, don't want to be tracking mud in anywhere :)

Pippity

Visit site
I'm currently getting the bus to and from the stables, so, yep, civilians have to put up with my stinky clothes all the time. And the bus goes right past the supermarket, so I'm not going to go home, get changed, and then pay for another bus to go right back and get my shopping. And I will (and have) gone to A&E in my horsey clothes. (I'm pretty sure I got seen quicker just to get me out of there. ;))

I wouldn't go to Cat 1. places stinky though. With the possible exception of my squeaky clean, 'urgh, all animals smell, YOU'VE LEFT A PIECE OF HAIR ON MY CARPET' sister's house. (We've never grown out of the pulling each other's hair stage of sisterhood.)

Annagain

Visit site
The corner shop and petrol station is about it and even then I feel very self conscious, especially if I'm buying food with dirty hands (no washing facilities at yard other than and outside tap, so it's a wipe with a baby wipe before I leave). I think people must think I'm going to eat it with those dirty hands!

ReggiePerrin

Visit site
If I'm not going out I spend the whole weekend in yard gear. I've waited 38 years to be able to walk around in my jods with good reason, so love going to the supermarket and usually emphasise my glee with a dirty big smile! I do have a pair of old trainers in the car though, so get changed into them to add to the ridiculous look and reduce the mud! Horsey and Happy :)

Emma_H

Visit site
We all know that us horsey people are normally running late!

I've been to hair appointments, nail appointments, the dentist and the doctor in my jods!

Visit site
Our local pub has a side bar that they open up to us on a Sunday when we phone ahead for lunch so we dont stink the rest of the place out. They are more than happy to do this as the owner has horses too.

Annagain

Visit site
Every summer I go on a riding weekend and we tend to stop at the same country pub for lunch. The pub also has a function room where they do weddings so I feel particularly scummy waiting to be served in the bar with all the wedding guests in their finery having a pre-wedding drink around us. We eat outside so it's just while we're ordering, but that's bad enough!

nostromo70

Visit site
I don't see it as being much different than a manual worker e.g. builder, gardener or road workers. I'm sure they don't go home to change before they go and do a bit of shopping at the supermarket. Probably if they're going to docs or dentist they will. The supermarket we use is on the way back from the yard, We always make sure our feet are
free from mud.before we go in.

sandi_84

Visit site
I tend to go places in my horse clothes as it kills two birds with one stone and it saves precious time :) I was mortified once standing in my local shop going *sniff sniff* "what is that smell?"......"OMG it's me!" :eek: I'd been at the haylage and got rained on - yeucky! :D
I get the train to my OH's every week in my horsey stuff because it's highly likely we'll be out doing something outdoorsy like fishing/shooting etc and I like to be warm and knowing that if I get manky it doesn't matter really..... Also my country boots are the comfiest (sp?) things EVER! Even when they are muddy ;)
I do try and make sure that any appointments and that are done whilst clean and non-horsey though but I was sent to the hospital once in full horsey get up coz they thought I'd damaged my back (ripped ligaments) and I kept apologising to the poor nurse and doctor :eek:

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
No way. Only horsey things I wear out are my Dubarrys which I think is allowed although they are well used, usually filthy Dubarrys (not like my mums which are always immaculate!).

RunToEarth

Visit site
No, I go as little places as possible in anything horsey, at the least I am allergic to horses so festering in horsey clothes is just not an option. It isn't the appearance for me, but the smell. I would hate to be stood behind someone with poor personal hygeine in a shop waiting to be served, and having stood behind smelly horsey people the effect is just the same, I think it's quite anti social.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I can't remember that last time I went in to the supermarket/garage etc in non horsey clothing. I pass the supermarket on my way to/home from horses, if I wanted to get changed to go I would waste an hour/fuel/money etc.
I try not to go to the drs etc in my horse clothes, I had to once as it was an emergency appointment and I did have any time to change, I took my wellies off at the door as they were muddy and walked around in my socks :eek:

Becky&Ollie-x

Visit site
oh lordyyy im such a scruff. I practically LIVE in my horsey gear and will go nearly everywhere wearig l'odre de'orse.

Saying that where I live you cant go shopping without seeing at least 15 people wearing hunters with straw hanging from their hair. :D