Do you go to shows alone?

Trules

Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[I often go alone and love it. don't get me wrong its nice to have company but sometimes I'm easily distracted so going alone helps stop that.

highlighted perfectly on sunday when on the way to Eland Lodge. too busy chatting. missed turning off A50, 30minute detour, far too late for dressage warm up!

alainax

Visit site
I remember going to shows with a girl on the yard when I was an early teenager as a groom. Even though it was Bsja and I didn't jump, I loved her horse and loved going to shows! I remember her giving me a fiver for it, and I really didn't want it, the day out itself was brill!
I did this too! Ill need to find me a teenager :p
I take my horse out all the time and compete with him. I don't mind, even though I may not have a helper or groom I have made friends with people I compete against regularly.

I make sure I have everything organised and in order before I leave. I find I relax a lot more if I know where everything is. I organise it so My dressage stuff is at the front or on top and easily accessable. Then SJ and finally XC (as that is the order my classes normally run in).

I leave my horse at the float by himself most of the day. We tend to use float yards over here. They are like portable pens that attach to the side of the float. The horses can be left by themselves with have and water. They can move around and roll and see other horses without you worrying that they will get themselves into trouble when tied up. They get stored on the side of the float when not in use.
floatyards_zps35d433b1.png

capel1_zpse55e86cd.png

Those are clever things! Never seen them before. He'd never stay inside the pen though :p but still, great idea :)

I do everything on my own. Show, dressage and endurance ride.

If I'm taking out a young horse for the first time, I'll leave it in the float while I go get back numbers etc, and then hang around to make sure they stay tied up ok.

But once we are past that then - no problem.

The only time I ask for help is if I'm doing a really big endurance ride and feel I need a strapper. :)
Yeah I think ive came round to the idea that he will be on the trailer till ive registered etc :) and just not to worry if he causes a fuss about it. Be safer on there than tied to the side causing a fuss.
highlighted perfectly on sunday when on the way to Eland Lodge. too busy chatting. missed turning off A50, 30minute detour, far too late for dressage warm up!

:eek::D

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I never used to as my Dad always towed the trailer but he's too far away now so any future outings will be on my lonesome. Am dreading it as my horse grows at least an extra 24 inches while out :rolleyes: but we can't stay home forever :)

blackislegirl

Visit site
I too do everything on my own and I am out most weekends and have loads of fun. At my age, there is no-one I could reasonably ask to give up their scarce free time come with me - mother is over 80 and non-horsey and partner is also non-horsey and does not live with me...yet I have even sometimes gone out with two ponies on my own (though that was hard work, and I wouldn't do it more than once a year!) My trips are mostly fairly local and I usually meet people I know at least vaguely when I am out, so it is not lonely.

My main tips are
1. well-behaved ponies who stand calmly and load well
2. my trusty lightweight plastic stool for mounting at the trailer
3. the bucket in the lorry for a quick pee
4. having food and drink with me
5. being always ready to ask someone politely to hold my pony whilst I walk a course (note point 1 above )

But, I have taught my non-horsey partner to drive the little lorry so that about once a year, if I want a special, longer trip, I can gently lean on him to come with me to drive me home. He mostly then sits in the front and reads when I am riding, which keeps him safe and lets me get on with things. :)

chels

Visit site
I often go alone, dressage now but I used to event.

So interesting about leaving horses unattended, EVERYONE here (NZ) ties to trucks and trailers, hardly anyone leaves them in the box, usually only stallions, or a few (including me!) if it's raining.

elsiex

Visit site
I go on my own probably three times out of every four! If the boyfriend comes, he ends up whining like merry hell that he is bored, and I usually end up detouring on the way back to the yard to take him home!

I have a little 3.5t box, my horse travels really well and he is easy as anything at shows. I usually leave him tied to the side of the box if I need to enter/the loo etc as he kicks merry hell out of my box if left on it! I try to get there early to park close. Usually sling him at a spectator to hold if I need to walk the course and the lorry park is miles away!

I find it quite relaxing and therapeutic to go alone, usually tag on to someone else's warm up etc when doing fences. :)

Llanali

Visit site
It's actually illegal in terms of rules to leave a horse or pony tied outside a box unattended- and this includes if you walk the course and can still see your trailer/lorry at a BS show.

I don't know about other organisations, but once you have seen a horse PTS after getting stuck under the tow hitch you'll never leave then outside again.

bounce

Visit site
I nearly always go by myself. As with all the other comments, be prepared, make sure you have everything to hand. Mention to the person parked next to you that you are by yourself and I'm sure they will lend you a hand if required.

The only time I struggle is when parking is very tight which doesn't allow room to tie up to the side of the lorry which means I can't hold horse and do studs at the same time or nip back in the lorry to fetch something I may have forgotten. This is where you need to politely ask whoever has parked next to you.

I always put the horse back on the lorry when going to walk the course etc and he only comes out to be tied up when I'm about to get on and for untacking. Otherwise I tack up on the lorry and bring him off when I am ready to get on.

opinionuk

Visit site
I would love to take her to a show on her own but she can sometimes be a bit quirky to load, will trot in on the way there but unless she is really tired she will hesitate on the way back, so strange if you put a lunge line on the floor almost make a runway, don't have to lift lunge line and she will go on, how bizarre! havent tried it when on my own though!
i agree people are helpful, i also forgot my dressage test and didnt have a copy, a very nice lady offered to call it for me!

On the other side a lady arrived at a xc not realising she needed £5 for a number bib and didnt have any money on her so i gave her £5 and off she went, i didnt wait around for the return of the money as id like to think somebody else would do the same if i were in that situation :)

castella

Visit site
NaeNae I love the idea of the pens on the side of the lorry and trailers, my boy would love it ! I can imagine the looks I would get setting that up here in the uk !!!

j1ffy

Visit site
Here in HK it's bliss as the yard take the horses up to the comp centre and there are always plenty of people to help and advise!

In the UK however I was almost always on my own. Similar to others, I'd get as much prepared as possible, leave extra time for everything and wear over-trousers to keep my breeches clean so I could quickly get ready after I'd sorted the horse out. I never had any problems (except the one time that I foolishly took off my over-trousers before taking off P's travel boots and ended up with a pooh stain on my breeches :eek:). People are generally very helpful and friendly.

Muddyboots

Visit site
I went eventing for the first time on my own towards the end of last year. I put a post on here to see if anyone else was going and ended up arranging a course walk the day before. Two out of the 4 people who walked the course together came and found me at some point during the day to make sure i was ok and one was waiting for me at the end of the xc to help me cool off and get sorted.

I am eventing on my own this sunday. The times have gone on line and i recognise a fair few names. I have FB'ed a few people (who know where i live and keep my horse) and have said (Jokingly - i hope!) if anything happens, will you make sure my horse gets home safe - im not bothered about me. My husband is working but i know that if i needed him he would drop everything and come in the event of an emergency.

Just because you are travelling alone does not mean you will be alone when you get there! I always find an excuse to get chatting to the person next to me!

Walrus

Visit site
I've just started competing my lad and so far, the last 2 weekends we've been on our own (well, may parents met me at the dressage last weekend but turned up after my test - dad still bought me a bacon butty though!).

Organisation is the key, mine will stand on the box and stuff his face forever so I just make sure I take mountains of hay. I'm also discovering that the more organised your packing when it all goes in the easier it is at the other end!

Fortunately I have a short native so I can hop on him off my water container.

Last week at the dressage my main concern was the lack of reader but I found a really nice lady who was reading for someone else to read for me which definitely helped!

Bizarrely one of the most useful things I found is central locking on the horsebox - one click and the whole thing is locked from on board as I invariably forget to lock it before I get on!

I've only been to small venues to local shows and dressage so far so it'll be interesting when we get going to some other places. I need to get a laminated card with my phone number on to leave in view.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I enjoy competing on my own sometimes - Less people to shout/get moody at!

You should see the look on my Mare's face when I pee in the trailer! :rolleyes:

I do have a lovely decorator's step to get on from - Really high, long and wide - makes a cracking table to lay things out on when getting ready - then hop on, lift it up using attached bit of bailer twine and post into the back of the trailer :D

Standing on the trailer is much quieter when she has a haynet and a 'window' to look out of (i.e. top half of ramp folded back)

http://www.tooldiscountcentre.com/step-platform-work-plate-ladder-bench-decorators-hop-up-526-p.asp

ajf

Visit site
Basically just repeating all the things other people have said!

If he's young you need to teach him to stand quietley in the box. Do this when loading at the yard (i.e. load, then leave him for 2 minutes, then come back and drive off, and work up). If he is too excited when you first arrive to 'test' this do it when you have finished working him. So load. Hide behind trailer/out of view. If ok, wonder further away etc etc. Go to the loo. Check him. Then wonder off again. Having some hay will keep them quieter and I find they learn pretty quickly to stand quietly.

If he's a fidget bum, see if someone has a chilled horse/pony that he can practice with!

Also everyone has said about prepare before riding, well also make sure you prepare everything for when you come back! For example have water buckets ready and wash bucket and any cooler rugs to hand. Also never chuck your headcollar in the trailer, leave it somewhere to hand! Learnt this the hard way ;)

Best of luck but you will be fine :)

helencharlie

Visit site
If you compete in your local area alot, then you will find that you see mainly the same people at each show. In my local area at most showjumping shows, I know the majority of people, and if I have had to go on my own leaving supergroom behind then they have always been more than happy to help. Usually with dressage I find that the same people will call tests and will be asked by lots of different people to call for them. When I have competed on my own I have really enjoyed the experience. I tend to arrive early just to make parking easier. Charlie is more than happy to stand in the box all day just munching on his hay. Will happily load between classes. If it is sj I try to walk the course prior to unloading and tacking up.

alainax

Visit site
Wow these replies are great! what a font on knowledge and experience you lot are :D

I definitely dont feel as daunted by the idea, and have lots of good advice now to give it a go! Thanks :D

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Mounting on your own is easily solved with a mounting block.

I have a folding two step one so it is space saving. I have my name written on it as my boy likes to move around until he is ready to let me get on him, can mean the steps are several metres away from my vehicle!

I run the risk of my steps going walkies but so far have only had a neighbouring trailer borrow them, and they have then moved them back to my lorry as a way of helping me out so it works well! Even with a helper its better for me to get on this way anyway as I mount using a block at home so its routine.

:)

alainax

Visit site
Mounting on your own is easily solved with a mounting block.

I have a folding two step one so it is space saving. I have my name written on it as my boy likes to move around until he is ready to let me get on him, can mean the steps are several metres away from my vehicle!

I run the risk of my steps going walkies but so far have only had a neighbouring trailer borrow them, and they have then moved them back to my lorry as a way of helping me out so it works well! Even with a helper its better for me to get on this way anyway as I mount using a block at home so its routine.

:)

Currently he gets knids wedged between the arena wall and the block :eek: stops him getting the idea into his head that he could spin around :p But I guess I could use the trailer in the same kinda way.

But yeah, like you say, once your up you cant exactly do anything about the block! I may write my name all over it :p but I guess its just a matter of hoping there are no nasty thieves around :(

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
This is a great thread :) I was really worried about venturing out alone with the bargy gingerness but all the tips have made me realise that forward planning is everything :D

Thanks op this should be a sticky.

pipsqueek

Visit site
I have gone showjumping on my own ever since I learned tow, not long after passing my driving test (a long, long time ago!) My Dad was like 'off you go now!!'. My OH is a farrier & doesn't want to spend his weekends by people talking 'horse cr@p' (his words!) as well as all week, so I still go on my own!! There are usually people I know & even if not someone will hold my horse if I ask them nicely if I want to walk the course etc etc. I am just used to it now & on the plus side there is no-one giving you grief if you have a pole down etc (my friend's husband goes with her & she has this to put up with!) I take the dogs for company instead :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Have everything within reach and boxed, I love my saddle box as I put everything for horse in the middle saddle and bridle over the top and them my things are in a flat box that the whole thing sits on in the boot :) Hat and boot bag hanging in the boot and showjacket hacing in the backseat of jeep :)

I also if travelling one horse take out the partitions so that I can tack/boot up in the trailer then all pony has to come off for is when we are ready to mount.

If travelling two, they travel in bridles, with saddles on jacks, are brought off to be tacked/booted up then popped back on the trailer again whilst i go get myself ready :)

I use the bit of the trailer that normally has my waterbutts on it (behin the lights infront of the wheels arch) for mounting :) Trained all mine to stand at this for me to get on :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
People leave their horses standing in trailers?? :eek:

I used to show all the time on my own and invariably would end up with a dressage test at 9am and another at 4pm. My horse would stand tied to the trailer with a haynet all day. As did everyone else's. I think the way we looked at it, no one in their right mind would leave the horse IN the trailer all day. If someone did, we'd presume they were a bit mad, or their horse was. But then again, we are talking about a climate where the average temperature on a show day was 30+ degrees. Can't leave a horse standing in a trailer for long periods of time when it's like that.

I have never had a horse who I couldn't trust to stand tied. If I did and I wanted to show, I'd probably pull every TTEAM and "natural horsemanship" style trick in the book out of the hat to fix it.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Addendum:

When is this show? For beer, I can be persuaded to do all sorts of things. The next few weekends are all kind of busy, though. So depends when it is.

helencharlie

Visit site
Another tip, is to prepare the trailer for re-loading before you mount. I tie Charlie up to the side of the trailer, I then replace the breast bar and remove the breach bar. If I need to put any rugs on afterwards I place these over the breast bar ready for use. I then put the ramp down ready. I also use the ramp as my mounting block. I always drive in forwards to a space to park, as reversing in on your own may mean that you may not have enough space behind you to get the ramp down.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
On a hot day I would leave my horse in the trailer and I'd leave the front and back ramp down You can get a nicebreeze and they are in shade

Not that I need to do that in Scotland! It's always cold!

Llanali

Visit site
Caol Ila: yep, it's not legal to leave them outside tied up! I guess our trailers are different to the "floats" or other countries, they are smaller and have more areas the horse could access to be caught on.

Lyle

Visit site
I'm sitting in my truck eating dinner as I type! I mostly go to events on my own, lucky for me my current horse is pretty reliable, despite being green! I'm currently staying over night, so horse is in good solid portable yards that I brought with me. He's been in it all day, as I got here early to get a good park. I actually enjoy going on my own, I'm kicking back with some good food and a movie tonight with no-one to bug me! I have some quirky routines too, and it can be difficult if there is someone else. Not that I would say no to some company though!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Sometimes I'd LOVE to be able to go myself - need to get this trailer test passed!

When I compete I've dragged friends along, and also- I've volunteered to go with friends. I have a friend who often takes two horses (one young and a bit of a idiot at times) away for the weekends and I love going with her. She gets an on call groom, and I get a couple of nights away, gain some more experience watching, and copious amounts of wine and yummy food at night :D

One time after reading said friends test 4 people in a row after asked me to read theirs - I didn't mind at all.

I have always found people so kind at shows to give you a hand, and its a great way to meet people. In return, I always try to help others.

On you go!