Do you hang on or let go?

stormox

Visit site
When I learnt to ride it was an absolute crime, the worst thing you could do, to let your horse go if you fell off! If you felt yourself being bucked over the horses head you hung on for grim death. Riding young horses we always rode with a headcollar under the bridle and held the rope as well as it was easier to hang onto especially if you had a running martingale. Being dragged a few yards was preferable to a long walk home as well!
But recently I've heard instructors tell their pupils to let go- What do you do?

Damnation

Visit site
Personally I let go.

A) If I fall off for whatever reason I don't want to sock my horse in the gob on the way down.

B) If horse has thrown me, I do not want to be anywhere near those legs whilst I am vunerable and winded on the ground. I'd rather a long walk home then a kick in the head!!

asterope

Visit site
When I learnt to ride it was an absolute crime, the worst thing you could do, to let your horse go if you fell off! If you felt yourself being bucked over the horses head you hung on for grim death. Riding young horses we always rode with a headcollar under the bridle and held the rope as well as it was easier to hang onto especially if you had a running martingale. Being dragged a few yards was preferable to a long walk home as well!
But recently I've heard instructors tell their pupils to let go- What do you do?

I let go, but then I started riding at a riding school about 15 years ago. I think instructors telling pupils to let go is probably a health and safety thing - they won't want to risk children getting dragged due to something they've told them, especially when in an arena where there isn't really any immediate need to hold on.

Zoe67

Visit site
If I was out hacking I would hang on because I wouldn't want to risk my horse running out onto a road, or bolting somewhere that I had no idea where she'd gone! If I was in an enclosed space like a manège I would let go

Annagain

Visit site
Depends on the horse.

I let go of mine because I know he'll just be standing there looking confused. The one time he did run off a bit (or rather it took him that long to stop after he tripped!) he trotted straight up to a dog walker (about 30 yards away) and asked to be rescued.

My friend's horse galloped 2 miles home down a fairly busy road so I think I'd try to hang on to him!

Bernster

Visit site
Hmm, I'd say the chances of me being able to consider the options and choose what to do are pretty slim, whilst I'm on my way to meet the floor !

Merlod

Visit site
I keep hold of the reins. Even in an arena - gets them into the habit of stopping if you come off.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Well I hung on and ended up with a damaged collar bone and shoulder requiring two operations and it's still not right now. So, on balance I think if I was in a position to think about it I'd let go. It really depends I think on how it all unfolds though and my instinct is still to hang on.

Palindrome

Visit site
I let go if in arena or fairly close to the yard. I'll also often give a pat before getting back on, just to say no hard feeling/nothing to be worried about (unless horse has deliberately had me off which fortunately has never happened with mine).

muckypony

Visit site
I try to hold on to my boy, only because if I fall off I'm usually half way round a cross-country course! He hates me falling off though and spooks at me.. Last time I ended up being dragged a few feet and had to let go before I got kicked. If I were out hacking I would do everything I could to hold on though as I'm not sure what he'd do!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Wish I'd hung on my horse when I fell off last year- she proceeded to buggar off at a flat out gallop and jumped a five bar metal gate, which resulted in an expensive vet bill! Learnt my lesson the hard way- don't fall off! 😉

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Personally I let go.

A) If I fall off for whatever reason I don't want to sock my horse in the gob on the way down.

B) If horse has thrown me, I do not want to be anywhere near those legs whilst I am vunerable and winded on the ground. I'd rather a long walk home then a kick in the head!!

If my horse has ditched me, I'm less bothered about a sock in the teeth! I'd keep hold, but only cos my first pony would take 2 hours to catch as kids if I fell off and let go, I was under strict instructions to never let go after that!

But then there's keeping hold, and being reckless, if a horse was pegging off, I'd let go if being dragged. The best one I had was my horse who dropped his shoulder to ditch me, then stood on the back of my leather boot pinning me to the floor, that was his equivalent of keeping hold of me! He was a toerag though

Michen

Visit site
Definitely hold on. Ive come off B hunting, XC schooling, SJ comp... Always held on.

Antw23uk

Visit site
If i was out and depending on the fall and if I have reins in my hands as I hit the deck, I am of the era of holding on for dear life but I think naturally I would let go if I was being dragged down a road! Luckily this one just stands there looking confused so we have a cuddle and usually I laugh and get back on :)

I would probably be the same in the school .. in fact I know I am. Its been ingrained into my head to hold on! 'Kick on and Hold on' .. I can hear the screeching now!! *shudders*

Damnation

Visit site
If my horse has ditched me, I'm less bothered about a sock in the teeth! I'd keep hold, but only cos my first pony would take 2 hours to catch as kids if I fell off and let go, I was under strict instructions to never let go after that!

But then there's keeping hold, and being reckless, if a horse was pegging off, I'd let go if being dragged. The best one I had was my horse who dropped his shoulder to ditch me, then stood on the back of my leather boot pinning me to the floor, that was his equivalent of keeping hold of me! He was a toerag though

My last mare used to rodeo me off. The one time I tried to hold on, I saw her back foot land two inches from my knee.. (Undiagnosed back problems)

Current mare would just bolt. Touch wood I have never fallen off her, but I know I would have no hope of being able to hold her or get back on her after that. Such a stress head.

pennyturner

Visit site
I would always let go. I've seen people dragged underneath due to trying to hang on, and whilst they walked away, it was close.

Happily mine all pull up and wait nicely (usually stuffing their face with the nearest plant), so there's no good reason to try to keep hold.

Orca

Visit site
I always had it drummed into me to hold. I do in tumbles but never have in serious falls (it's nigh on impossible to drop and roll holding reins!). They never go far and always come back to me (even the one who tried to kill me on the ground once he'd ditched me - but at least he didn't run off :D ).

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
I actually am surprised anyone has the time to think 'where am I? what horse?' before they hit the deck! Im usually 'sit back its bucking.... aah im going..crash'and it all happens so quickly I dont have time to decide. Its instinct makes me hang on (though sometimes its impossible). I really wouldnt care if I socked my horse in the mouth after it had just bucked me off!!! And rather that than it got loose and hit a car....

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am of the era where we were told to hold on, I don't think I could let go as I sail off! The last time I came off I went through the reins and still held on :) A friend came off xc and knocked herself out, she was on top of a brush fence and the bystanders had to prize her fingers off the reins! This was a long time ago, bit I'm guessing she would do the same again :)

Orca

Visit site
I actually am surprised anyone has the time to think 'where am I? what horse?' before they hit the deck! Im usually 'sit back its bucking.... aah im going..crash'and it all happens so quickly I dont have time to decide. Its instinct makes me hang on (though sometimes its impossible). I really wouldnt care if I socked my horse in the mouth after it had just bucked me off!!! And rather that than it got loose and hit a car....

I know I don't have time to think! For me, it's more about the mechanics of the fall. In a slide, slither or gentle tumble, hanging onto the reins is manageable. In a catapult (in any direction), my instinct is to curl up and roll (another thing drummed into me!). It's near impossible to land safely and hold onto reins at the same time.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I am of the era where we were told to hold on, I don't think I could let go as I sail off! The last time I came off I went through the reins and still held on :) A friend came off xc and knocked herself out, she was on top of a brush fence and the bystanders had to prize her fingers off the reins! This was a long time ago, bit I'm guessing she would do the same again :)

Hahaa I know I shouldn't laugh but that made me laugh. Knocked out and still holding on .. now that's hardcore :)

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm a let go person now, I didn't used to be but after two black eyes a broken nose, being knocked out cold on a road, severe concussion and a neck injury that plagues me still years later apart from deciding that falling off is not to be done I've joined the let go camp. All of those injuries could have been lessened if not avoided altogether if I'd not been dragged by trying to hang on.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Hahaa I know I shouldn't laugh but that made me laugh. Knocked out and still holding on .. now that's hardcore :)
She is indeed :) Virtually born in the saddle and has point to pointed in the past, used to give her mother heart attacks with what she rode :) Mind you her mother points out that both the friend and her mother hunted in utero! :D :D :D

planete

Visit site
I always used to hang on until I was dragged at a gallop after a mega spook, ending up under the horse' s feet and got two very visible hoof prints in my kidney area. The second I let go she stopped dead! I would not have hung on so long normally but she was a pony in transit staying in our yard for a couple of days, did not know me or where she was, and I felt responsible for bringing her back in one piece. For me, it would depend a lot on the speed of the horse at the time of the fall. Galloping, let go and roll, idiot managing to bronc me off, keep hold if possible. Thrown at lightning speed a fair distance, no choice.