Do you have a "breed"

Moobli

Visit site
German shepherd owners, in general, are a very passionate lot when it comes to this breed and own the breed for life.

My breed is the German shepherd and I cannot imagine a time when I won't share my life with at least one. I have also owned (and love) border collies, but they are not "my breed". I currently have two shepherds with another planned for the end of the year. I also own an elderly retired sheepdog (border collie) but I am not sure I will have another once he has gone. Whether that is due to the simple fact my OH will always own collies so I can get a fix from them or not, I am not sure.

I am curious to know whether others are fanatical about a single breed or whether they have owned a mix of breeds and enjoy the diversity of owning several different types/breeds.

I could possibly be tempted by a Malinois or Dutch Herder, but that would be alongside a GSD and not instead of.

peanut

Visit site
I'm a terrier person, probably as I was brought up with them. I just love their bright eyes, perky little faces and attitude that they can take on the world :).

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
German shepherd owners, in general, are a very passionate lot when it comes to this breed and own the breed for life.

My breed is the German shepherd and I cannot imagine a time when I won't share my life with at least one. I have also owned (and love) border collies, but they are not "my breed". I currently have two shepherds with another planned for the end of the year. I also own an elderly retired sheepdog (border collie) but I am not sure I will have another once he has gone. Whether that is due to the simple fact my OH will always own collies so I can get a fix from them or not, I am not sure.

I am curious to know whether others are fanatical about a single breed or whether they have owned a mix of breeds and enjoy the diversity of owning several different types/breeds.

I could possibly be tempted by a Malinois or Dutch Herder, but that would be alongside a GSD and not instead of.

Not really a dog person

but we had 2 GSD crosses now stupidly we bought a NID (big mistake) not again

I also like lassie dogs and Irish Wolfhounds

Should have stuck to the original plan and wait for a GSD

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I have had Border Collies, Dobermans, a Retriever, a rescue mix .....
I have a 10 year old Border Collie who has been THE best dog ever, but I now also have a 12 week old Great Swiss Mountain dog, and I already think this is going to be my special breed! :D

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've never met a dog apart from a GSD that made me think 'I really want one of those'.

I have admiration for Afghans, English Bull Terriers and a couple of pther breeds but never wanted to own one. Although I may have a Dachshund when I am old and decrepit.

I've only owned one non GSD, was a lab x JRT x foxhound mix and I didn't gel with her at all.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Whippets and sporty little whippety type lurchers. I've had all sorts and grew up with Irish Setters and springers but now I've had a whippet I wont ever be without one :)

TGM

Visit site
Over the years, I've shared my home with a Westie, Golden Retriever, Bichon Frise, GSDxRottweiler, GSDxCollie, Weimaraner (never again!), Springer Spaniel and a collie x lurcher, but now I have my whippet I'm a total convert to the breed! Would definitely have another one!

{97702}

Visit site
I had a cavalier when I was a kid - only because my mum bred them, would never have another!

Then as soon as I was allowed a proper dog (at 17 years old, so a looong time ago :D ) I had 2 whippets....when they became elderly 15 years later I got a lurcher.... then my first rescue greyhound in 2002 ensured that I would never have another breed :)

I adore EBTs and have been very tempted at times, but greyhounds are the ultimate dog for me and I can't understand why anyone would want any other breed :) :) :)

I know you will all be surprised about that.......

Last edited:

Karran

Visit site
I grew up with labradors and my grandparents who I was very close to took in retired police dogs, so there was a constant stream of GSD's passing through my life (and one dobie unceremoniously kicked out the force after failing spectacularly in his tests), so I always thought that I'd end up with either a lab or GSD and couldn't imagine getting another breed.
However I'm totally taken in by Mrs Spaniel and her various dramatics and obvious joy for life, so def thinking about another WCS when time is right.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I grew up with mutts and then as a teenager we had GSDs-nothing could persuade me to have one (sorry GSD fans) even though I accept that my parents GSDs were not trained at all. I've had BCs and BC crosses (with beardie) and wouldn't go there again either. Loved my terrier mix rescues and my irish setters but decided against more of those.Love my working goldie, would definitely have another but the next dog will be something different.

Chiffy

Visit site
My dogs of a lifetime are Flatcoated retrievers. I have had them for more than 30 years now.
I started married life with a whippet, bred a litter so had two for a while. We graduated to lurcher S in the days when they were proper working/sighthounds and not just anything with a bit of running dog in them. We bred a litter of those and kept one. They were great dogs but in the end I wanted a dog to train for obedience competitions.
Thought I wanted a Goldie until I found flatcoats. I just adore everything about them. They are willing, intelligent, friendly and fun.
I do have a lurcher about too and often a rescue mongrel or as at the moment an obese Goldie!
I am just beginning to worry that I may be getting a bit old for another flatcoat puppy in the future and am considering a Smooth Collie who doesn't require quite so much exercise.
Time will tell!

Laura2408

Visit site
I am 100% a GSD owner and have had several fantastic dogs in the past. I love the breed and can't imagine owning anything else however the current one is really really hard work and has made me wonder if I should go for something easier next time as I'm scared of getting another 'bad' one!

I bet when the time comes though I will still go back to what I know. I would love to find a breed that is basically a GSD but more chilled out (and maybe a bit bigger as I do love the giants!)

satinbaze

Visit site
Had mini poodle as s child that we inherited when my grandmother died. He never really bonded with anyone as he was so much granny's dog. Looking back I feel so sorry for him being launched into a family with young children. Later we had cavaliers which I still adore. However when j was able to have a dog of my own there was only ever one choice. A flatcoated retriever. 23 years later and 4 FCRs I am still smitten by the breed and cannot imagine a time without them. They are fun, willing, active, trainable, bright, friendly, beautiful to look at and in short practically perfect in every way.

Widgeon

Visit site
Chiffy, have you found cancer to be a problem in flatcoats? I'm just curious as they are gorgeous dogs but I've always been led to believe that they are far more disposed to cancer than Goldens - would you say that's true or is it being successfully bred out?

madlady

Visit site
I have always loved collies, we had a rough collie when I was a child and I now have a border - OK she's a bit asbo as she is trial trained so not very sociable but she is getting better. She is so very very intelligent though and I love her to bits. I don't know if I'd have another though - at least not until I retire anyway.

I've always liked JRT's and I think I would have one for a next dog - either that or a rescue.

Snuffles

Visit site
Gordon Setters, had 4, would have another if I could, but hard to come by, Also of course Clumbers.
At present have collie x corgi which was my late husbands choice after letting me have my setters. He is a little star but not a dog I would ever have personally chosen !

paddy555

Visit site
GSDs. Had 3 then moved onto BC's. however the next will be a GSD. The only other breed I love are black Newfies. Jumping into a flooded quarry and having a newfie swim in to rescue me would be my idea of heaven. Unfortunately not OH's who has promised a divorce if a Newfie arrives!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
deerhounds are my favourite breed but i have only owned one and she was very special....i havent had another because i am in a very small cottage and they dont have a long lifespan. my last few lurchers were whippet crosses as i love long dogs...i still have my 3/4 border collie and although she is great and much easier and more obedient than my last lurcher i have been window shopping for another smallish lurcher and feel that i may weaken when the summer is here even though i know i shouildnt...

Snuffles

Visit site
Someone mentioned a poodle, was wondering recently that so many crosses now with poodles, labradoodles, etc but I cant actually remember the last time I saw a poodle !

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
Lévrier;13481118 said:
I had a cavalier when I was a kid - only because my mum bred them, would never have another!

Then as soon as I was allowed a proper dog (at 17 years old, so a looong time ago :D ) I had 2 whippets....when they became elderly 15 years later I got a lurcher.... then my first rescue greyhound in 2002 ensured that I would never have another breed :)

I adore EBTs and have been very tempted at times, but greyhounds are the ultimate dog for me and I can't understand why anyone would want any other breed :) :) :)

I know you will all be surprised about that.......

You shock me to my very core!:D;)

I have had mainly collies and latterly Dalmatians and would have either of these breeds. There are some breeds I would never have but some I have a soft spot for so may be tempted by sometime. My sister has an EBT who adores me( much to her chagrin) and I find myself daydreaming about getting one but I may break his heart and that wouldn't do lol!

planete

Visit site
I have had GSDs, various terrier mixes, a border collie, a deerhound x and various saluki crosses. Basically I like the mindset of dogs bred to work. I found the GSDs easiest to train and the most challenging dogs have been the saluki crosses but I like their independence. I am fond of the terriers but am still slightly baffled by how bright and trainable they can be during training sessions only to forget everything in everyday life! My favourite? The border collie though I would not have one now as I could no longer give one the stimulation they need. I find their intelligence totally awesome.

seaofdreams

Visit site
I grew up in our house with Bearded collies, my Grandparents always had cockers, we then had two JRs after my riding instructors dog had a litter of pups when we were kids.
I always wanted a greyhound, for as long as I can remember, not sure why, I just loved them.
When I got my first dog in 2010 I got a working cocker, he is fab and truly my best mate, I think I will always have spaniels but I still wanted to take on a retired greyhound, finally this time last year I was in the position to do so and she is just lovely and couldn't imagine life without her, so I think I will always be a spaniel/hound person.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I got into sibes without a clue what I was letting myself in for and it should never have worked out - but it did, somehow, and now I can't imagine having anything else.

My mum has a cocker spaniel that I care for often and I love him to bits but I wouldn't choose to have one. His unquestioning loyalty and biddability feels alien after the sibes. :p The same would apply to labradors, border collies etc. Thinking about it I grew up with JRTs so am used to stubborn, high prey drive dogs.

Although there will always be another sibe in the pipeline there's a limit to how many large dogs I can cram into one house and so I'm also considering a schipperke as a small agility dog. Time will tell if it turns out to be the portable mini black sibe I'm after.

Chiffy

Visit site
Replying to Widgeon about cancer in Flatcoats.

I lost my very first flatcoat to bone cancer at the age of 8. Since then all have lived till at least 12. I was requested to send my X-rays to the FRS Health investigation which I believe is still working on Cancer in flatcoats.
I don't believe it's especially worse in the breed than others. On a Facebook group I belong to there are as many living into ripe old age if not more than the sad stories of ones that are lost when younger.

pippixox

Visit site
I'm only on my second dog- my first was my darling GSD rescue. He had his issues (reactive with most dogs) but he loved people and was great company. He was pretty hyper and dumb at times, but wouldn't of changed him.

We did contact rescues with the view of getting another GSD as we love the breed- we like bigger athletic dogs and a know numerous lovely shepherds. Although all unique. I had not really considered border collies as just known friends agility collies, who were raised with her small child, but always seemed manic and not overly people friendly. But we were asked about taking our new dog sky, a 2yo border collie, as she was raised with small children (we have a 5 month old baby) and we could meet her needs for exercise (poor thing has hardly been out her house in 2 years)
It is still early days- but she is a sweetheart and trying very hard- got a bright brain and despite 2 years of no training in sure she will pick up fast.

In a way we are people who want an active, friendly rescue, so if they meet our criteria I would consider another breed in the future. But I still can't help spot GSDs in the distance and long for one (although that may be that I long for my boy back, taken too young)

bobble

Visit site
No, most of mine have been crossbreeds. Dalmatian x, lovely dog very willful from the farm i had my pony at. GSD rescue very neurotic, although i do like them I wouldn't have another. Lurcher rescue, staffie rescue and Staffie x rescue. i shall probably have another when i have reduced my numbers. Currently got four. Will go for another rescue.