Do you have a school where you keep your horse?

StarFell

Visit site
As title
smile.gif
I'm thinking about moving my lad. I've never been happy where we are now; the fencing in the fields is atrocious, my stable leaks in and there is a LOT of bitchiness. My friend recently moved his horse to a farm about 2 mins from my house (it takes 15 mins to get to my current yard) and he says theres a stable there for me if I want it. Its a LOT cheaper at £12 per week (I am paying £20 per week at the minute) and the hacking is lovely whereas I'm on main roads a lot now. The only downside is that there is no school, and I'm used to having two, including a floodlit one! It means I won't be able to ride much during the week in winter, but to be honest I've only been riding maybe once during the week and at weekends over summer anyway. There is a school near the new farm, but I'd have to pay to hire it. If you were in this situation would you move?

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Yes I'd move. It is perfectly possible to school while out hacking but if you save the £8 a week that you won't be paying out to your current place you will have money towards renting the school nearby when you need it. I don't know how much that costs but you would have £32 a month towards it.

StarFell

Visit site
Yeah thats true
smile.gif
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go, I'm just wibbling a bit! I'm a bit worried incase I dislike it even more than my current yard, if thats possible!
crazy.gif

The_snoopster

Visit site
I have never had the use of a school i rent 4 acres and built my own stable and feed shed in a fenced off paddock. I pay £50 a month , must admit i would proberly ride more if i had a school but as i,m a hack out on my own type of person my setup is perfect for me .

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Fencing atrocious, leaking stable & bitchiness, that in itself are reason enough to move. The safely & comfort of your horse is paramount. If you compete regularly then not having an arena could be an issue but id you mainly hack out then it's not so much of a problem. In any case with the cheaper livery you could use the difference to hire one occasionally.

BFG

Visit site
Will you have constant turnout? I only ask because if you are not able to ride as much then turnout becomes more important so your horse can get enough exercise.

If the answer is yes then i would move.

tibby

Visit site
Hi, I keep my horse at home and a have paddock to school in, but this summer in Norfolk it has been far too hard to use for anything other than lots of walking, flexing exercises etc, I have a lesson once a week so have to box to the riding school for our weekly workout, [ the tracks round the field headlands are also too hard and uneven to do any trot or canter work on] I would have to think long and hard about giving up a school, in the winter my paddock is often too wet to use, I don't have any good off road hacking, just a thought.

millitiger

Visit site
i don't have a school at my yard and have 2 horses to keep fit/schooled for eventing.

i have excellent hacking though and also an indoor school 5mins away in the trailer, a xc course to hire 10 mins in the trailer and an equestrian centre with regular sj etc only 15 mins away.

the yard is fab though with excellent and plentiful turnout, great stables and a really lovely YO who will bend over backwards to accomodate anything i need.

Faro

Visit site
Yep, I would definitely move too, as long as (as BFG suggests) there is sufficient turnout at the new place. What ChicoMio pointed about about the costs makes perfect sense too.

But it's easy for me to say that - because I don't have a school either, and manage without one very easily!

So, yes - if I were you, I would definitely move.