do you have a sharp-joggy horse?

ed&arch

Visit site
What do you do when your horse is really excited?
I have had mine only a week now, he gets a little excited sometimes in the school, the previous owner has had him 15years now, and said you can bring him back whenever you want if you dont like him etc..
He is an advanced dressage horse what wouldnt I like about him!! They said he gets a little excited and hot at competitions, but I love him hehe, sorry bragging now, back to the threat title..
what do you do when your horse gets a little 'hot'?

AngieandBen

Visit site
I have a joggy pony :) he's only 12.3hh and nearly 20 years old and he still gets very excited out hacking!

I give him the reins, use my bum to ride :) he usually stops after a few strides, if he doesn't I make him stand for a minute then carry on.

Hacking with a large group just about blows his brains so unless everyone wants to gallop we hack alone!

WestCoast

Visit site
Remember how gorgeous she looks having a bit of a prance and wish she did it more often. :)

Seriously though I just sit quietly and talk to her.

Paula

Blitzen

Visit site
I do the same as Paula ^^^
I revel in her self carriage, and how light on the forehand she is! I also find myself amazed at her impeccable 'passage', that she freely performs whenever we hack past a field of cows :p :D
When it she gets silly (think unintentional 'airs above ground' :eek: ) I sit quietly, growl 'giiiive up!' and ask for some simple lateral movements to bring her attention back to me. Though sometimes it goes *rear bounce rear* "OH $HITE! Nnnoooo! Bluddy mare! GIVE OVER" *clings on for dear life and hope she stops soon* :p

Sparkles

Visit site
Slack my reins and kick my feet out the stirrups normally :) Or whip her saddle off and ride her bareback.

ETA - and sing sometimes! haha....either relaxes her or scares her into behaving ;) lol.

LollyDolly

Visit site
I own a little 14.2 powerhouse, although he doesn't so much as jog as perform airs above ground :rolleyes:

I just give him a pat and calm him down, usually works. If not sit to the rears and carry on! ;)

Although I must admit, he does look like one sexy little stud muffin! :D

Ginger_2002

Visit site
mine is quite joggy when she wants to be and gets excited more in a school.I find giving the rein when you can always helps, and make sure your body is relaxed as you can be (not always easy :eek: )and try your nice calm tones that helps mine.
It took her a little while to settle though,and dont get me wrong shes not perfect! I had her straight from racing, so stick with it im sure it will get better! :)