Do you have automatic water in your fields??

Teddybully

Visit site
Do those of you who have your own yards/fields mostly have automatic watering? Is it a massive pain to have fields that don't have a water supply - how do you get the water to them if the hose won't reach!?

I know it would be more work - but how much more!

lizziebell

Visit site
I have some large plastic jerry can things which I fill up and then transport with the wheelbarrow. Yes, its a pain - but good work out for the muscles. I've been thinking about whether you can get a bowser type thing to tow behind my quad - not sure if they exist or if I've just made it up !

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I haven't got automatic water in fields at the moment, it is on a to do list for near future, but we do have to prioritise :) In the meantime I have a water bowser which I fill up at the yard and then drive round the fields filling water troughs. It is a bit of pain in the bum, but I have large troughs and when the weather isn't to scorching I can get away with doing it every other day.

lindsayH

Visit site
In my case, I just kept buying hoses and connecters until they reached! Pain in the winter though when it was frozen but there you go. Some people do have a tank they tow with a quad.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Yes you can get large water containers/bowsers to tow.

A yard i worked at had them.
You can get different size, it makes it much easier than taking water in a wheelbarrow,especial when there are lots of horses!

charlimouse

Visit site
I finally put automatic waterers to all my fields last summer. It is so much easier. Up till that point I was carrying buckets from the yard, it was a nightmare, and used to take nearly a hour to do all the fields the horses were in.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
We just keep connecting hoses untill they reach!! They do freeze up in the winter but if you walk the length of the hose and bend it (will make a snapping noise as the ice breaks) it will take less tive to melt!

I dont really know if that works! I do it every winter and like to think they is reason behind my madness!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
We have auto water in all but two of the fields at my yard. On those ones we have jerry cans filled with water that are taken down there every week.

Puppy

Visit site
I have a load of hosepipes joined together to reach my further paddocks, but I tend to bring those in, in Winter, so they don't crack up, and in that case I use a big water drum or a H2Go bag in the barrow. It is a tedious job, especially when the fields muddy, but I've always coped. It also means I very frequently clean out the trough.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
It is actually cheaper to buy the pipe for your water and then get a contractor to dig it in. Should be able to put in about 500yrds of pipe plus 2/3 troughs in less than a day - contractors rates are about £20 an hour for man and machine. Once in - job done and life far far easier. Look at teh financials - hoses and attachements are more expensive.

Puppy

Visit site
Well, in my case, it's not my field, I rent the grazing. But also, as I strip graze, splitting it down into as many as 5 paddocks, then I move the troughs around a fair bit. :)

Enfys

Visit site
I have automatic waterers in a couple of fields, they draw water from the well (same as the house)
The pipes are all insulated and laid about 6' down, also they are heated.
I simply could NOT manage without heated water troughs, the stalls, and cats/dogs/goats all have heated water bowls.

Hosepipes are as much use as chocolate teapots from November to March.