Do you have this problem with

Frazer

Visit site
YOUR HORSE ..... my tb mare just started getting back into full time work, been in work for over year now! However she is working on the bit nicely, but whenever i seem to take up more of a contact to bring her down into a transition, she will stick her head straight out like a giraffe! I am worried that in dressage tests this will really downgrade me, and it also makes us loose that mometium we had from the outline. I have tried using my seat more, but this just doesn't stop her! Tried constant schooling etcc... She is ok going up a transition, sometimes a bit off the bit but this is improving. At the moment she is ridden in a jointed plain snaffle! With no flash, and no martingale! I was thinking about using side reins. Anyone else have this problem, Had? An advice post, not someone to tell me im doing everything wrong Please
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Frazer

Visit site
Thanks, I dont really like riding in side reins, only done once before! I use them on the lunge, but this isn't the same as the problem riding!! She is 9 now, so a wolf tooth didnt even spring to mind, but she had her teeth rasped about 3 months ago? Does anyone know about a cheltham gag, balding gag them seem quite good?

KatB

Visit site
Dont go down the lines of a stronger bit, please!! Its a schooling issue, you need her to continue using her back to keep the outline in downwards transitins, a gag will solve the problem superficially, but will not help over all. Is she voice trained at all? This helped my boy to understand downwards transitions without tension. Also, doing lots of transitions in a seession, in quick succession to get her listening to you. A bungee may help persuade her, but please don't stick more in her mouth!
grin.gif

I know a few trainers that use tension on a neck strap aids with downwards transitions, without interfering with her mouth and causing tension? Worth a try?

Frazer

Visit site
I dont really want a stronger bit, this wouldn't be for the transition problem! But mainly for jumping and xc as i need a lot more breaks than the current snaffle! She is voice trained, but when she wants to be! She does listen to your seat a bit, but this will only slow her down not bring her down a transition! I had a bungee somewhere, i will try and dig it out and use it thanks!

Sal_E

Visit site
Hi Frazer. I really wouldn't bother with a bungee, side reins, a gag or anything else that is not dressage legal. Horses are smart enough to realise when they can & cannot do something - so she may work a treat with one of these things, then when you change to your dressage legal kit, she will revert - for sure. Think about it - WHY would the horse continue to work 'properly' when the thing that is 'putting them there' is no longer there.

Firstly, not sure why you are shortening your reins for a downward transition - you need to be aiming for a consistent rein contact throughout the whole session, up & down. Any shortening of the rein may create resistance - that's why people really have to work on going from the 'walk on a long rein' bit in a test to a medium walk - the test is is wether the horse resists th uptake of contact.

In a nutshell - you need to learn to get the horse to respond to your seat rather than the reins. OK, that's a bit of a textbook answer & not necessarily very helpful when you're having a problem, but unfortunately, it IS the only answer! (other than getting the teeth checked again - may well be a good idea). Personally, I'd call in a good DRESSAGE instructor who 1) can demonstrate that is DOES work on YOUR horse & then 2) help you to achieve it.

Whilst waiting for an instructor, for now you could do simple things like working on lots & lots of transitions so that the horse is starting to anticipate them (not supposed to be a good thing but actually IS good in this situation). If the horse is anticipating the downward transition, he'll be far more sensitive to your request & therefore you can be more subtle which should result in less tension/resistance.

Try really hard to do it with minimal 'pull' on the reins. Have a play around with your back & seat if you're not quite sure on the feeling you're looking for - see what works - something will! But again, do this when the horse is antipating it anyway, so you don't have to get it 100% right for your horse to say 'it's ok mum, I know what you're asking for'.

For now, forget accuracy, allow the downward transition to take time, plenty of time in fact. If it take you a full 20 metre circle to go from trot to walk, then fine - you can sharpen it all up later. For now, you want it tension free, that's all. Spend some time trying to feel what works, without relying on the reins.

One more thing - when you are using a bit of rein to slow down, rather than a continuous pull that the horse can fight against, try subtle give & take (think of pumping the brakes - but nothing that crude!). This should give the horse less to object to.

Certainly the best solution is a good instructor though!

Peanot

Visit site
I couldn`t agree more with Sal E. It is all about flatwork. I have a good event trainer who has worked wonders with our flatwork in just 5 months. My horse is now in a consistent outline and very responsive, and I love doing flatwork, we are learning all the time. I have recently started to BSJA again, and I have put all this flatwork into the jumping, and I must admit that although I haven`t actually jumped with my trainer, our jumping has come on enormously. Because 95% of the riding in the class, is flatwork.
Find a good thorough trainer who is willing to start with the basics. It works really well.

Frazer

Visit site
Hello! Thanks very much for all of your replies, I have my instructor coming up in 2 weeks, after we have moved! To then work wit us for about 5/6 months, hopefully shorter if it works well. In the mean time, I am lungening in a pesesa (cant spell sorry) to help build up topline and muscles needed for transitions. And when im riding we are working on my seat a lot more, I can see it working but it is just going to take time. Many Thanks and will keep you informed. Thanks Sal_E