Do you help at events/shows/rides etc?

EstherYoung

Visit site
Just wondering, following on from a few other threads in here, how often you guys help at events/shows/rides etc?

What puts you off helping?

And what would make you offer your assistance more often?

Is anyone going to confess to never volunteering to help in the sport they compete in? And if you don't help, would you mind saying why?

(There is an ulterior motive for these questions - we often end up with the same old people helping, and we are desperate to encourage more people to volunteer so any insights you guys could give into methods of bribery/corruption that could work would be very gladly received :) )

ihatework

Visit site
I help a bit but not loads.

Usually a couple of days for my riding club and for a couple of days for local BE event.

For me it's the same excuse as most - time! During the week I'm often out of the house at 6am, back at 8pm - so time at the weekend is precious and generally taken up competing/riding own horses etc.

So if I volunteer it's usually because someone I know has asked!

What puts me off volunteering - weekdays, distance, and length of time needed.

What would encourage me - primarily shorter amounts of time - so maybe a job that can be done on a rota. For BE I often ask to dressage write as it means I'm only there for 4 hours max

blood_magik

Visit site
I help but probably not as often as I should.
My yard gives you lunch and an arena hire for every day that you help so I don't think they could make it much more appealing if they tried.
That said, it's usually a long day and the only time you stop is to grab a quick lunch.

be positive

Visit site
I agree with ihatework, shorter periods of time, it is hard at any time of year to give up a whole day, they are often very long, an 8am starts mean leaving home at 7 having to do animals first, then maybe not getting back until 7pm or later, a long while to leave dogs shut in, I help at a BE venue where they are happy with half days it is much easier to fit in.

NaeNae87

Visit site
I help out as often as possible.
If I am competing and camping, I will offer to do an extra helper duty (ie; Dressage Pack up, Show Jump Set up, Show Jump Take down) as well as the helper duty I have supplied a helper for. I do this just to help out. I get no benefit.

This weekend, I am off to the State Equestrian Centre to help out at Western Mudd Rush. For this I am getting free stable hire or xc course hire.

I think it is important to give back. We wouldn't be able to hold events without volunteers. Also IMO it gives you a greater appreciation for the helpers. :)

alsxx

Visit site
I'm very happy to help out.... I used to write at a local BD show regularly and would happily stay all day, have offered since but no one ever got back to me!

My RC has a condition of membership that you must help once per year - again I have offered, but then along come the same old people and their offers of help get accepted, so now I don't bother. The RC is friendly enough but a little cliquey so if they want their pals helping then that's fine by me!

So reasons I don't, I guess, are fed up of offering and getting either no response or not being on the inner circle.

khalswitz

Visit site
I've tried to help at my riding club on two occasions this year - thefirst time I was told I could help in the afternoon, but by the time I arrived they were finishing up so I only helped tidy jumps. Second time, despite countless emails saying they needed vols, I emailed the organiser and had no response. So I didn't chase after it.

I don't mind helping but I would like to feel appreciated, I am giving up time I could be riding my horse!!

tls

Visit site
I do help at shows and I personally believe everybody who competes should help out at, at least one show, so they exactly how hard it is to run a show.

Capriole

Visit site
I've offered my help to a breed soc several times, in response to comments made in newsletters and on the website, and got no response whatsoever. I actually got a bit cross about it, they were asking for help, I offered, I got ignored. Repeatedly. So I gave up offering to help since they clearly don't really want it.

I do help out at another venue, it's just once a month, but it means I can't compete there.

ironhorse

Visit site
I've done stints as a rosette steward, manned the gate etc, but can't heft poles too much as I've got a bad back. When we are not competing or training we are trying to catch up with family so there are not many spare weekends!
So this year I decided that I'd help out with my association's magazine (I'm a journo by trade) as my contribution and had the fun (!) task of chasing people up for contrbutions and pics...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Now I've pretty much retired from competing, I'd like to help out more at local BE and BD events. Although I can spare a whole day, my memories of fence judging and fun ride stewarding are tarnished by being stuck out on my own for a long day with no loo nearby! Pity because I enjoy doing both otherwise. I haven't got a buddy prepared to join me as a pair and I always seem to fall for the organiser's plea 'Really sorry, short of help, you'll be ok on your own, won't you?'. Would seem feeble to refuse.....

I can't do any of the 'physical' jobs such as show jump moving due to having a bad back. I enjoy dressage writing (memo to self, have 'rhythm' off pat!) both in its own right and because of the regular breaks!

asmp

Visit site
My daughter and I help out at various events in our area but it depends on when she is competing herself (I have to drive her). I have to say that we are happier to help out at the events where we are appreciated though! ODEs are the best as we are fed well and have sometimes been given either free schooling sessions or bottles of wine or chocs to say thanks. Bad experiences out you off helping out certain people - I was once phoned up out of the blue to help out at PC sj competition. We did the afternoon but weren't offered even a drink of Water, nor were we thanked at the end (not sure I'd do it again for them).

hairycob

Visit site
I help at a local venue for ODEs - fed, schooling voucher, bottle of wine, thankyous = happy.
I help with RC stuff when I can - yummy cake + thankyous = happy.
I helped out another RC when they were stuck - ignored, no thankyou = won't help again.

humblepie

Visit site
Used to do a lot more than I do now as was secretary of quite a big one day show, stewarded a bit, judged a bit, dressage wrote a bit and done a little bit of course building. Am judging again a bit in the not too distant future. Why a period of not - was out competing nearly every weekend and then when not comepting needing to do something non horsey with OH. I agree with others that "bit sized" chunks of helping is far better at encouraging people as generally those helping have their own horses/families to look after. Can remember dressage writing once, should have only done the morning, ended up doing all day whilst just thinking quite how drowned my horse was getting out in the field!

bounce

Visit site
I help out at a local BE event several times a year and also help at my riding club events and a local ISO event. I enjoy the BE and ISO event more than the RC events as generally the level of perks/refreshments/schooling vouchers is far better although the days are generally longer. As a committee member of the riding club I find it is the same faces that show up to help despite our membership having a stipulation that all members should help at one event during the year. Its also impossible to offer the same perks to helpers as a BE event can as we are operating with a smaller budget and limited manpower from the outset.

I'd help at more if I had the time but weekends are generally time I want to spend with my horse after I have worked all week and the long hours for helping means it is a complete day with an early start and late finish.

Capriole

Visit site
I've never had perks and refreshments anywhere, feeling quite hard done to now :lol: I've had wine offered at one place, which is no good to me so declined, and been told they would get something else in for me instead for next time, but this has never actually materialised.

Freddie19

Visit site
I am a sad oldie (it appears) that actually enjoys getting out and fence judging and I do not ask for an "exciting" fence. I actually prefer the first or last fence (its safer!). It keeps me up to date with the riders and what they are riding at moment, very interesting to see the latest young horses been brought out by the professional riders. All in all great fun.

sportsmansB

Visit site
In Eventing Ireland you have to name 3 events where you will help/provide helpers when you are paying your registration. I have done various - but have to agree to preferring scribing as it is a) dry and b) over by lunch. Problem is the more people you know the more you are desired as a dreaded caller-upper...
Eventing Ireland always provide a good lunch
I know from helping the regional sec how hard it is to get people to provide their volunteers for the events they have selected - but there is no way it could run without this system.
The problem is, the harder it is to get volunteers, the longer a day it is for those who can be there, so its a bit of a vicious circle...

fabscd

Visit site
I volunteer for a number of BE events throughout the year. I do it because i enjoy it, i like being 'behind the scenes' so to speak at these sort of things. I also think that there would have to be fewer or more expensive events if people didn't give up their time to help...and it's a pretty £££ sport as it is! The events i have volunteered at always provide tea/cakes/good refreshments, as well as lunch if necessary, and i have usually been given a bottle of something, schooling vouchers or had my start fee waived if i am also competing at the event.
Half days would be easier to do, but i don't mind doing full days on occasion, i also prefer helping at BE events because they tend to be more professionally organised (as you would hope) But it does mean there is less chance of you being continually imposed upon for more and more tasks throughout the day. I find i turn up, do the bit i have been asked to do, then i am free to leave, unless i choose to volunteer myself for doing more.

Goya

Visit site
I'm on both sides of the fence. I organise RC shows and Area qualifiers and also help out at BE (fence Judging) BD (dressage writing)as well as the odd stewarding at Driving trials, along with other stints of helping at various events, local and National.
I fully agree that a thank you, both from the organisers and the competitors goes a very long way to ensuring I help at any event again, as does decent refreshments and the provision of loo breaks.
It is very frustrating trying to get helpers for the events I organise. This year we have had basically the same faces as helpers at every event. This is in spite of it being a condition of membership that every member helps at at least one event per year. We always give the helpers a burger or wrap and a drink from the food van even when it is just an evening show and there may be not many entries.
One of the main problems for a smallish RC is that they just do not have the finances to offer more than a burger and drink.
They just don't volunteer and when you chase them you hear every excuse in the book. Believe me I've heard them all.
I'm sure there re a lot of competitors out there who think that a competition just "appears" with all the courses, arenas etc as if by magic and that it mysteriously packs itself away when they have finished.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I also organise events as well as volunteer, I do mainly BE but if I can help I will, Im happy as long as I'm well fed and watered luckily the job I usually do I get a good lunch. I'm trained in Control, commentating and can do start and have a very loud Voice so can do collecting ring too. as long as iim appreciated and the day isn't stupidly long"m happy-give me cake and "m exstatic.

The events I organise I never struggle to get helpers I'm not sure why but in' some cases they are the same faces but most people do volunteer.

HuggyBear

Visit site
Yes, regularly at BE events through the summer. I play polo but have always been a fan of BE, so it keeps me apart of the sport and up to date should I have ever want to dabble in actually competing myself!

Plus, it is always good to see the famous pros behind the camera. I will admit to nearly tripping myself up as I walked past Andrew Nicholson the other day. Haha

becca1305

Visit site
I help out where I can. I used to organise and run a hunter trial for my pony club (missed this year as it was my final year of Uni), and if I'm free I'm happy to help at local stuff. My main problems are distance for BE stuff, chances are if its local enough to go to I will be competing there, and again just being free when pony club competitions are being run. However I will do what I can, I'm helping in the morning at a BE next weekend as although I'm competing both days its VERY local so I can give the morning before getting home to prep mine and get back to compete. Incentive wise I do try and do something just because I feel I should, but XC schooling vouchers at the course/ vouchers for training at PC etc and other horsey helps would be most welcomed by me if anything was given to volunteers, but then I recognise a lot of volunteers don't necessarily ride/ compete themselves so might not be the best for everyone!

Jnhuk

Visit site
Yes. Am on RC committee so do a lot locally. Have always tried to FJ for BE at least couple of events but not easy when some of the nearest events are a good 90 mins away by car. Have fence painted etc... Also in the past done BD stewarding/writing/scoring for quite a few years so my helping now tends to be local RCs and BE when and where I can.

I cannot say that my offer of help has never been ignored!

There is a new BE event coming to my area and have already put my name forward as occasional helper getting things ready.

Time is precious but if everyone that competed put back at least one day per year in to their sport, there would be a lot more helpers.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
I have helped at a few local unaffiliated events and would be happy to do more but I find getting in contact with people if you don't already know them quite difficult. I have emailed lots of secretaries etc. a good time in advance and never heard back. I don't compete at the moment however so I jump at any chance to get involved.

Capriole

Visit site
I see a few other people besides me have offered help and not had a response. I actually find that quite irritating if events/venues are asking for help then not getting back to people when help is offered, it is just going to put people off offering in the future.

dilmil123

Visit site
I regularly (2/3 times a month) volunteer at Affiliated and Unaffiliated level usually fence judging or dressage writing, have done show jumping pole picking a couple of times too. The main venue I volunteer at treats us exceptionally well.

Wheels

Visit site
Yes, I do a few events a year - fence judging, writing for dressage judges, helping my very local annual show put up the ropes for the rings, jumps & whatever else needs doing.

I am planning on joining Dressage Ireland next year where helping out at several shows a year is compulsory.

I do like helping out but there are few shows in my area as is so helping out at some of them does mean valuable competing time is taken up. But if there weren't any helpers there would be no shows....