Do you insure?

Nailed

Visit site
Insure! must be mad not too?! what if you horse gets loose and does 50k worth of damage to toher peoples properties, how would you pay? and what is th ehorse gets colic and needs urgent hospitalisation and an op, could you afford it?

Lo ux

TBB

Visit site
Have the yard and land insured so that if anyone gets injured they are covered and also covered for animals straying and injuring someone etc., individual horses are not insured the premiums would be far more than any vets bill:eek:. Thats because there's too many horses not cheap vets!

Enfys

Visit site
Simple question do you insure your horses or people with multiple horses what do you do about insurance?

No, I have upwards of 10 horses at a time and it is a floating population, I'd be on the phone all the time. It isn't worth it. All animals on the farm (mine and Boarders) are covered under the business insurance for public liability.

Our horse insurance tends to be for mortality only anyway, and unless I have a $10,000 horse (and I only have 1 of those) I wouldn't bother.

I have a limit on how much I pay for vet bills, if a $2000 horse needed a $5000 operation it wouldn't happen.

Enfys

Visit site
Insure! must be mad not too?! what if you horse gets loose and does 50k worth of damage to toher peoples properties, how would you pay? That's what public liabiity is for, agree, mad not to get it and what if the horse gets colic and needs urgent hospitalisation and an op, could you afford it? Yes I could, but I wouldn't. It would be pts

Lo ux

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I only have public liability insurance. Every month I put away money that would otherwise go to the insurance company for vets bills. Depending on what treatment was required I would use the money that I'd saved. I would be unlikely to pay for an operation though- like enfys I would most likely pts because my horses simply aren't worth large enough amounts to warrant the cost.

w1bbler

Visit site
Simple answer no - with three horses would be well over £1000 per year - public liability is covered by being a BHS gold member (can't remember the amount but think it's less than £100.
I did for a while put money away each month in a savings account for vets fees - but stopped when it got to £6000
Only had one incident in 12 years that would have resulted in a claim - lame horse had couple of sets of nerve blocks / x-rays
Its hard not to dip into the savings account though - got my eye on a lovely black country saddle!!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Yes i insure Chico (and had Ruby insured also when i had the two). I have not had cause to make any claim etc but it is reassuring knowing that if something bad happens I have the means to provide the care needed for Chico.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have four horses and a pony, only one horse is insured, purely because she was paid for whereas I bred the others.

Liability is covered through our household insurance and also as a member of the Countryside Alliance you are covered for certain liabilities x

kirstyl

Visit site
Mine is insured but has so many exclusions, it probably means he only has a few centimetres of his body covered! He did have sarcoids treated last year though, which would have been a large vet's bill

fidleyspromise

Visit site
yes, both are insured for vets and got BHS Gold for 3rd Party Liability.

I'm also trying to save in the background so that I can drop off insurance when I have enough :)

darkhorse123

Visit site
Insure! must be mad not too?! what if you horse gets loose and does 50k worth of damage to toher peoples properties, how would you pay? and what is th ehorse gets colic and needs urgent hospitalisation and an op, could you afford it?

Lo ux

Agree with this - i wouldnt dare take my boy out if he wasnt insured not sleep on a night in case he got ill and needed very expensive treatment - i save on other things but never insurance :)

MiCsarah

Visit site
Yes but after this year of using it for £5k plus me having to top that up and going to have hs hocks excluded I will probably have such a stupidly high premium that I will probably resort to putting money away each month. If any serious illness happens there is always a credit card

ISHmad

Visit site
We use BHS for liability cover, cheaper than paying for each horse individually. If we had just one horse we would self insure but with multiple horses we insure them all for vets fees etc.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
When I only had one, I insured him - after twelve years of paying out, I cancelled it last May and in August he was dianosed with DJD in his hocks! Now none of our three are insured, but we do have BHS Gold membership, and our land/buildings etc are insured. If one of them needed vet. care, we could afford it, that doesn't mean we would shell out £10,000 for an op though, there has to be a limit sadly.

misst

Visit site
Yes! Always. Third party and public liability is a must. The old girlie has minimal vet fee cover she is 27 so they don't cover for much and we would not treat much above a nasty cut or something, she doesnt do box rest and it would not be fair.
The baby is not valuable but in the past 6 months he has had 7 stitches in his neck (his brother bit him!) with major antibiotics and needing sedation,irrigation and lots of tlc. He then got an abscess and was hopping lame over Christmas and New Year:cool: Two bank holiday call outs. I have had approx £500 payout from my insurance company so have my money back already on the 2 years I have owned him.

2 previous TBs each had MRIs, xrays and lots and lots of stuff. One had £5000 worth of treatment and then they paid out the same again when he was PTS and the other had £9000 worth of bills over 6 years:eek::eek::eek::eek: He had PSD, a virus, colic, and the final problem was collateral ligaments. Obviously they may never have needed it but for them the insurance was invaluable.

It has more than paid for itself and I know I did everything I could for them before I lost them. I never could have paid that myself.

indie999

Visit site
If you are not going to insure for vet bills and just want public liability and advice on legal etc BHS do Gold membership for this via SEIB but join BHS GOLD and its only £59 for the year and it covers all the horses you ride etc

My old boy was too expensive to insure due to lameness and arthritis so I just did the above purely incase we caused damage or an accident.

Its worth doing just so you are covered etc check BHS site lots of different membership options