Do you love or hate Arabs - and why?

quirky

Visit site
Dislike Marmite and ditto for the Arab.
For me, it's the face, I don't like the dish and the way they carry their tail is just plain weird.
I guess they have their plus points, like stamina.

Tiffany

Visit site
I really like 'good' Pure Bred Arabs and think they are very elegant although I have never owned one myself. I have also seen some lovely anglo and part breds but again just never had one.
smile.gif

buzzles

Visit site
I ride out for a stud which breeds and produces pure and part bred arabs for eventing. They are very intelligent, talented and beautiful however are very sharp and spooky and a few of them are seriously psycho, if they're having a bad day all you can do is put them back in their stable. As well as being beautiful movers and very scopey jumpers, they are equally talented at bucking, rearing, spinning, spooking, shying and can even do impressive star jumps! However they are all stabled 24/7 and extremely fit and I think they would be a lot better if they were turned out, I know if I had one it would live out all the time. I do think they are one person horses and if you build up a relationship with them it is a very special partnership. One thing you can't do is bully them or frighten them into submission, you have to ask nicely and if they decide to work with you they will try their heart out for you.

JM07

Visit site
not keen......

why????

they look like "barbie" horses......a true arabian is quite pleasing on the eye...not the "in-breds" of the western worl.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Some are, stunning, some are ok, but others are too extreme and look ugly.....

Tobago is lush, but I think its coz his photos are good too!!!

Have seen some that I wouldnt give you tuppence for and never met/seen one that I would like to own.

I like a bit more weight/substance in a horse.... arabs generally look like they would break if you did anything remotely like hard work, which I know is wrong as they do endurance.... but its what they look like
smile.gif

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
I think he is stunning and having owned an Anglo-Arab I do have a soft spot for the pure breed too. Having also spent some time with Arabian horses I think they are of superior sensitivity, are incredibly intelligent and very intuitive.

scotslass30

Visit site
At the moment im riding 3 arabs none of which are my own .One is anglo she is a looney . But its how she was treated . The other 2 are ex racers . One raced till he ws 9 years old and was flown over and he is so placid .I rode him in the wind the other day and he didnt bat an eye lid . he hadnt been ridden for a week . Also the first time i rode him was in the rain . I used to not be very keen on them but strange how things change .

RedDevil

Visit site
As a child, at one RS, I rode a superb, springy Arab and just adored him.
They have always been my favourite breed.
I have an AA, and until recently a mostly Arab. Beautiful horses, and loyal.

Tobago is gorgeous
smile.gif

Doublethyme

Visit site
OK going to stick my neck out and say I have great admiration for Arabians as a breed, but think that they are done a great disservice by many people that own and show them! They seem to attract a certain type of owner in my experience and after attending some county level arab shows, I absolutely hate the "pantomine" antics that go on - rattling fences, whooping etc to wind the horses up to a frenzy - no wonder they get a reputation for being skittish!

The breed themselves are beautiful, tough, intelligent horses, but they never seem to get a chance to go mainstream because of the way that the actual Arabian supporters treat them IMHO.

This is a generalisation and not meant to offend individuals, as there are always exceptions to every view and I am sure there are many 'normal' arab owners out there, just haven't met them myself!
wink.gif

ecrozier

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OK going to stick my neck out and say I have great admiration for Arabians as a breed, but think that they are done a great disservice by many people that own and show them! They seem to attract a certain type of owner in my experience and after attending some county level arab shows, I absolutely hate the "pantomine" antics that go on - rattling fences, whooping etc to wind the horses up to a frenzy - no wonder they get a reputation for being skittish!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more tbh. My arab is very well bred (by the W-arabians stud), but the lady who had him from 6 months old til I bought him at 7 treated him exactly as a normal horse, and he is absolutely wonderful. He is the easiest horse in the world to do, impeccable manners, and the epitome of a RC allrounder - not something you could usually buy for £2500 including all tack, rugs and everything in SE England these days.
He has been on every RC team this year, qualified for the Nationals in the team dressage, and is competing at Novice dressage (2nd in his class last weekend), 1m SJ and open local XC:
May07.jpg

Old photo, he has improved since then!
Spread.jpg

On a sponsored ride
Hedge.jpg

Intro XC
Downloaded30thNovember006.jpg

SJ clinic, fence anout 3'3.

Who ever said arabs aren't versatile and can't jump, yeah, ok, maybe you should come and meet mine.

Also, I would take him ANYWHERE. I hack him down the main street of the village he is stabled in, past the shops, buses, everything, and down the narrowest paths, anywhere I ask him to go, he will.

He's the horse of lifetime, without a doubt.
grin.gif

kerilli

Visit site
neither love not hate them. i'd happily have a part-bred arab (don't think a purebred would be big enough, or up to lugging me around Badminton!), i think they're beautiful, and i guess that because of that they are often owned for the wrong reasons (see also Palominos...!)
i don't believe the "arabs can't jump" rubbish... a friend years ago was on the Teetotallers team chase team, and their lead horse was a purebred arab who was legendary apparently, led them all over any Open fence, never faltered, had a huge pop.
they are supposed to be very intelligent, and i'd like to have some dealings with one or two, i guess.
i had a welsh x arab 14.2 pony who was quite sensitive but a wonderful chap, i adored him, and he really jumped.
so, if anyone's got a 17h pure bred arab, i'd like a go please!
wink.gif
wink.gif

minkymoo

Visit site
I rode my first Arab in Dubai - owned by Sheikh Mohammad (!). It was small (15hh which is small for me!) and narrow. I had been riding a 16.1 IDx TB so you can imagine how weird it felt!

However, this little horse was lovely, I do have pics, but at home, it had a beautiful canter and was a pleasure to ride - even in 40 degree heat. It was a super little horse and changed my mind about Arabs. I had always thought they were silly little scatty horses that would just prat about.

When I started looking for my own horse at the beginning of this year, I would have laughed at anyone who would have suggested anything Araby - what did I come home with? a 16.2/3 Anglo Arab.

He is the sweetest boy ever, he has paces to die for and holds his tail up when he trots out and canters. I didn't buy him because he was pretty and araby, I bought him because I felt that we fitted. It was luck that he is beautiful!!

IMG_1963-1.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

zizz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hate them, silly ugly dishy faces, useless at anything apart from running fast or going long distances and don't like the temprement much either. Basically I would never buy anything with over 2/10th arab blood in it, but do see how the stamina can improve breeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you'd say this horse is useless then;
horse0111.jpg

he's won at county level beating the belgian national champion on three occasions under saddle and in-hand so is definately most peoples idea of an arab.

however on the other hand he has been to the RC nationals in SJ coming (fourth individually at the areas), as well as elementary dressage and the odd hunter trial thrown in. His only downside is that he is too bold a hunter for me!
2003_0127horses0004-2.jpg

2003_0127horses0005.jpg

2007_0108horses0006-1.jpg

2003_0101horses0007-1.jpg

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
neither love not hate them. i'd happily have a part-bred arab (don't think a purebred would be big enough, or up to lugging me around Badminton!), i think they're beautiful, and i guess that because of that they are often owned for the wrong reasons (see also Palominos...!)
i don't believe the "arabs can't jump" rubbish... a friend years ago was on the Teetotallers team chase team, and their lead horse was a purebred arab who was legendary apparently, led them all over any Open fence, never faltered, had a huge pop.
they are supposed to be very intelligent, and i'd like to have some dealings with one or two, i guess.
i had a welsh x arab 14.2 pony who was quite sensitive but a wonderful chap, i adored him, and he really jumped.
so, if anyone's got a 17h pure bred arab, i'd like a go please!
wink.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my Arab's (Gedenski hence my user name!) is 15.3hh but his full brother is 16.2hh. There's also this lovely chap for sale at the moment: http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM8...HorseDetail.asp

So there are bigger arabs around - usually from Polish or Russian bloodlines
grin.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

The breed themselves are beautiful, tough, intelligent horses, but they never seem to get a chance to go mainstream because of the way that the actual Arabian supporters treat them IMHO.

This is a generalisation and not meant to offend individuals, as there are always exceptions to every view and I am sure there are many 'normal' arab owners out there, just haven't met them myself!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree - the in-hand showing brigade do not show the breed to their best advantage and I personally hate all the whooping and yelling that goes on at shows. Arabs are performance horses but there are too many bred just for an extreme dish or lots of snort & blow, rather than how they will be able to perform under saddle. Fortunately there are also plenty of arab breeders who do breed for performance and type - Susanne George for example http://www.georgianarabians.com/frames.htm

Twiglet

Visit site

I neither love nor hate them (same as my feelings about Marmite really!).
A friend has some - I can appreciate that they're nice to look at, and have a certain wow factor - but not my cup of tea.
It's nothing about arabs in particular, it's not different to how I feel about shire horses for example........I like to watch them, but I wouldn't want to own one, they're just not the sort of horse that 'does it for me'.

Ditto above.......I think maybe the arab world doesn't do itself any favours. From the sounds of it, the in hand showing world isn't the nicest of places.

emma_lg

Visit site
I love them...I had an Anglo Arab for 12 years..she was fantastic...she had so much energy for life it was hard to keep up with her sometimes!!!
I have also known pure-breds and they are lovely...some do long-distance, some jump, some dressage...very versatile and a joy to know and own.
Don't horses come from the Arab originally? My tb I have now can look quite araby at times...

htobago

Visit site
Wow! What a lot of replies! I did know that people tend to have quite strong feelings/opinions on this subject, but didn't expect this many posts - thanks everyone!

And lots of interesting perspectives - thanks again!

Somewhat to my surprise there seem to be far more posts in favour of Arabs than against them, which is nice.

Even though my boy is a show horse, I do agree that some of the people who show Arabs in hand are not helping to present the breed in a good light. Some of us are trying quite hard to address this - particularly to stop the ridiculous artificial 'pose' that has become fashionable in the in-hand show-ring, and all the noise and hyping-up of show horses.

And I really do understand that Arabs (especially the dishy-faced show-Arabs) are not everyone's cup of tea. It would be boring if we all liked the same horses - and there wouldn't be enough to go round!
wink.gif
smile.gif

htobago

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Tobago is lush, but I think its coz his photos are good too!!!

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! And yes, good photos always help! But athough the first photo I posted on this thread is a professional one, the second pic is just an amateur snapshot, taken by a friend at the national championships. Here's another casual, amateur snap taken at Tobago's home by a visiting breeder:

tobagomay2007field.jpg

That's one of the Cliveden grooms leading him, not me, cos I can't keep up with his walk, let alone trot (well, he was supposed to be trotting here, but got a bit over-exuberant - nobody's perfect)!

bexandspooky

Visit site
To be honest - I prefer the more natural shots of tobago than the one that you use alo.

I dont mean to offend so dont take this the wrong way, but i like to see the whole horse and (again please dont take offence because i am a great arab lover) that 1st photo looks too overworked and the angle that he's holding his head at looks a bit wierd!!

Vicki1986

Visit site
not too fussed either way - i think they are beautiful to look at. have ridden one - poorly schooled so was cranky. and loaned another, she was great to hack we went for miles, but to look after a bit of a pain in respect of she cut herself a few times in the short space of time I had her and just stuck me as very "delicate" and was definately hot headed. But i do like them as a breed but not sure i'd have one again i like slightly more robust/rough and ready horses, like my heinz 57 pony i have now who i can just throw at anything (so to speak) and touch wood never breaks. I think the breed type says they are very "hardy" this always surprises me but i can only speak of the ones i've met.

Shiraz

Visit site
QR -

Wasn't an arab lover but appreciated their beauty. My mum was mad for them and bought a pure bred arabian mare. 6yrs later this chestnut madam had lived up to her reputation so I took over for almost 4yrs (just lost her in February at rising 21
frown.gif
)

She competed dressage to medium level with her previous owner, raced, x-c, jumped and done well in showing. So I think she dispelled the rumour that they can't jump!

However I wouldn't go out to buy a purebred one although I think "if the horse fits" I'd take it no matter what breed if I got "that" feeling.

On a different subject I just like "crabbit" and useful looking arabs with a bit of substance about them. All this breeding to extremes has put me off the breed (think it's the egyptians) and some look like toilet rolls on legs that couldn't even carry a rider. Such a shame but it happens in all breeds when humans get involved!

Kat

Visit site
Love em!

As a teenager I used to ride a chestnut arab mare - just about the worst reputation possible!!! But lovely to ride. Also rode a grey arab mare who was a sweetie although nervous due to previous bad treatment and a few crosses. Always wanted to own one.

I wouldn't buy one now because I'm 5'8'' and a little tall for a lot of arabs, and OH is 6'2'' so his feet would drag on the ground!

I have never met one that doesn't jump, and they are entirely capable of dressage. In fact the Royal Andalucian School of Equestrian Art in Jerez have pure bred arabs as well as PRE and arab andalucian crosses.

Also they aren't honestly that fine when you sit on them they tend to be quite barrel shaped, which makes saddle fitting difficult.