Do you lunge with gadgets

9tails

Visit site
No, I only use a lunge whip to keep her on the track or ask for a direction change. I'm fortunate to have a lunge pen, so don't worry about a halter or lunge rein.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've only ever used a cavasson or bridle, as I don't have a lunge pen!! but interested to see what others use as I've been told my horse is struggle to stretch over his back, having had 6 months off schooling!! so he might need some extra help for lower himself

Luci07

Visit site
Pessoa and also a lunging aid which is just a piece of thick soft rope which goes around the withers, up between the front legs and clips onto the bit. Pessoa is to help mine stretch over his back and I alternate as the lunging aid is good for a quick session and won't let him lean on one side

Shay

Visit site
Depending on the horse and what I am looking to achieve I will lunge with gadgets - and without. But I always bang on that it is essential to understand what the kit is for, how it influences the horse's way of going and how to fit it. The use of any gadget -lunging or otherwise - without the user understanding it is a pet hate!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Usually I mainly lunge when in a rush or feeling lazy so I usually just use cavesson and lunge line or if I'm feeling truly lazy and he already has a headcollar on I just switch the lead rope for a lunge line. He doesn't pull or try to run off though or I'd always use cavesson.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Only poles. I disagree with anything that attaches the bit to the hind quarters as the only reprieve the horse has is to go behind the vertical and this is not something I would want to achieve.

If you want to encourage from behind you can achieve this with a tail bandage tied to the roller, round the quarters. Great in theory but what happens when you are riding? How do you then achieve the same movement if the horse has only been taught to move that way with a gadget?

Stockers

Visit site
a lunging aid which is just a piece of thick soft rope which goes around the withers, up between the front legs and clips onto the bit.

I occassionally use an old pair of draw reins knotted at the withers to the same effect.

Otherwise nothing or lunge with two lines to alternative between lunging and long reining in same session.

Visit site
I don't lunge. Too much strain on the joints and soft tissue going round and round for my liking. I would never use a gadget that went from mouth to backside, as Equidae says - it produces a false outline to get away from the jabbing on the mouth. Plus I get really bored doing it. I would much rather long line, its good for the horse and its good for the human fitness too!

All of mine know how to lunge so that if they ever need vettings or heaven forbid lameness work ups then they know what they are doing. But once they are taught (2-3mins a day for 2-3, days is usually more than enough to teach them) I don't bother lunging them again.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I have quite a large sand pen which is where I back youngsters and start them off.
My old lad and old pony both gets lunge to avoid getting fat and they love it, they buck and fart and carry on, gives them something to do and keeps them supple a bit as I can tell when they haven't been lunged for a while.
My youngster (5) I lunge on 2 reins as I don't see the point in just getting him run round so and he works lovely on 2 reins and doesn't go behind the bit. Plus its really helped him go forward he's a lovely lad with no leg needed. I only lunge him once a week just to brake up what he does and its a change for him.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Oh just noticed I hadn't answered the question. :)
2 reins is the most I use, no gadgets. I can achieve quite a high level on long reins, plus then its easier to change rein plus I work in smaller circles within the bigger circle etc

Starzaan

Visit site
I hate gadgets. I lunge all of mine with just a bridle. If they need to stretch they need to learn to do so willingly and not be forced. If I need to develop topline they are lunged over poles, raised poles and small grids of fences.

LiffWee93

Visit site
Just a headcollar or bridle, maybe with two reins if I want more work, but lunging is a stretchy loose session where they can play and let off steam appropriately :) I find any gadget just forces the wrong shape, and pessoas just bunch lola up like nothing else :/ I found a light bungee or such between front legs helps them get the idea, along with lots of praise when they soften forward even slightly, then taking them off to see what they naturally do helps show progression :)

JoshuaR97

Visit site
Side reins normally.. Have they quite slack so he can stretch down and have them fitted lower down.. Have used the bungee and attached it like side reins on his sides rather then inbetwern his legs but he didn't go very well in that.. Sort of gave him a fixed position.. Brought a Pessoa but waiting for the ground to dry to use that..the joys for not having an arena

wench

Visit site
Have various different items to lunge in, not that I lunge much as I prefer riding! My horse has a naturally high head carriage and given the chance will go around like a giraffe. This is not productive, and having a "gadget" on helps her lower and lengthen

shadowboy

Visit site
Yes I use 'gadgets' lunging. I hate lunging unless it has purpose- going round in circles for a horse is boring and not great for their joints either so prefer long reining BUT if I lunge I will put an equi- ami on. If I am going to ask a horse to work even if it's for a short period of 15-20min it will do proper stretchy work with a gadget.

rachk89

Visit site
I sometimes use the John whitaker training aid i got for Christmas which helps him to stretch although he gets grumpy when i use it.

Usually i just free lunge him in the school. I am lucky that he just circles around me all i do is raise the lunge whip once slightly and he sets off. He pretty much lunges himself i do nothing but watch and correct him if he goes onto the wrong leg in canter or makes the circles too small.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Only poles. I disagree with anything that attaches the bit to the hind quarters as the only reprieve the horse has is to go behind the vertical and this is not something I would want to achieve.

If you want to encourage from behind you can achieve this with a tail bandage tied to the roller, round the quarters. Great in theory but what happens when you are riding? How do you then achieve the same movement if the horse has only been taught to move that way with a gadget?

I would think that you teach the horse to work properly under saddle first, and then use the bandage as a 'reminder'.

I used draw reins, over the back, through the front legs and attached to the bit. I found Cobby could alternate between long and low and 'up'.

npage123

Visit site
Back in the day before he was semi-retired - De Gouge, whilst ensuring he is working actively from behind. Also I never kept going round and round and round on a 20m circle. I used to whole of the large school, plenty of change of pace and rein, mostly using the whole of the school (with me walking/running up and down the centre line) and plenty of warm up and cool down without the De Gouge activated.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
Back in the day before he was semi-retired - De Gouge, whilst ensuring he is working actively from behind. Also I never kept going round and round and round on a 20m circle. I used to whole of the large school, plenty of change of pace and rein, mostly using the whole of the school (with me walking/running up and down the centre line) and plenty of warm up and cool down without the De Gouge activated.
Good point about warming up and cooling down. Whatever I am doing on the lunge, my horse gets to warm up first.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I would think that you teach the horse to work properly under saddle first, and then use the bandage as a 'reminder'.

I used draw reins, over the back, through the front legs and attached to the bit. I found Cobby could alternate between long and low and 'up'.

I wouldn't use either. I also get the horse working properly before adding a rider - no point adding a weight to a weak back.