Do you need to limit access to salt licks?

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I bought a Himalayan salt lick for my mare, which she loves. She just licks it while tied up being groomed or after exercise. She lives out 24 hours at the moment.
My question is, can horses lick too much salt? (Is too much salt bad for horses as it is for humans?)

catroo

Visit site
One of mine goes mad for it when I first put a block out but soon settles down. I find it best to leave open access then they self regulate rather than licking it to death when they have access

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sounds like it's not getting enough and are trying to tell you something. Horses tongues are smooth and so don't get a lot from salt licks. They need about 60g of salt a day which is about 4 tablespoons full. Unless you think they are getting that from licking a lick all day, you best start adding some.

Shay

Visit site
Conventional wisdom is that horses will not eat more salt than is bad for them. I had an Appie who started off completely obsessed with his salt lick and it did worry me. Over time we found the best thing was just to let him have it permanently and eventually the novelty wore off and his consumption became more normal. Make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water. Personally I don't add salt to feeds other than in very hot weather - I prefer the horse has a choice to consume it or not. You can add salt to one water bucket and not to the other so they can choose.