Do you or dont you

Does your dad hate horses/ponies?

• Total voters

jemima

Visit site
At home we are all being quickly retrained to use no voice commands at all by the chap who's coming in to help break our mare for us. His pov is that as she's destined to be an eventer she needs to learn asap to obey without voice commands that are likely to slip out under stress(age).

sunny123

Visit site
Watched a Mary King demo and said that she used her voice to help train her horses, even uses them discretly in the dressage. eg. a purring sound for extension and (i think) a click for trot.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
lol

All mine respond to voice and clicking, although I dont do a lot of clicking its generally voice stuff. Why? Because one has a very sensitive mouth and is ridden in a bitless bridle and it helps with the braking to talk him down! The other I dont want to keep using my legs and he responds to voice very well!

The pony needs to respond to voice as daughter doesnt always have full control lol!!

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I saw this too sunny_ways and thought it was really godd how well her horse responded. I use my voice a lot, especially lunging. It helps getting the communication from the ground for when your on top.

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
I do it all the time when im riding, lunging or in hand....

I do tend to find however I do it when im not around horses too.
blush.gif

druid

Visit site
No, no and no!! I detest clicking..better yet, so does my mare - she'll pin her ears and it you persist stop and swing around to bite your legs!
shocked.gif
I've often felt like sticking a persistant clicker on her!

pottamus

Visit site
I don't tend to use it because it has zilch effect on my horse and I use clear verbal words instead. I like my horse to go from voice commands if at all possible and the clicking is a bit non descript for me.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Huh, I do it all the time! And I have worked in many professional yards and they all do it too! So you cannot say that it is wrong if they are producing international horses that are representing their country at the WEG!
In fact I click at my dog too, and also click at people to hurry along when I am in charge at work!-Hahaha..

fizz-tally

Visit site
having had my nf from 6 months old i trained him to respond to different clicks, worked really really well with him.

found myself clicking to jay to get him past a leaf he spooked at today lol

Tia

Visit site
Err I think the point of this post appears to have become somewhat confused? It doesn't have anything to do with whether it is right or wrong to use clicking to train your horse.......it has to do with someone else doing something on someone else's horse.

The owner of the horse was not happy with the rider clicking; the rider is not happy at being told off and trying to find retribution.

I couldn't give a fig whether every man and his dog clicks.....but I will not stand for other people who ride my horses doing it whilst on their backs.
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
I had the problem of Chex listening to other people too! I spent ages teaching him to move up a pace with a click, all was great until we started hacking out with a lazy horse. Its owner was constantly clicking at it, drove poor Chex crazy! He would shoot off, only to be pulled up by me, then hearing a click again he'd be of. I've not used it since lol

Skhosu

Visit site
Having looked at all the replies with interest, I use voice commands, my connie stops and goes on command.
the tb, gets a click.
On another horse I would, but then I wouldn't on a western horse as I beleive they are trained differently re: a click etc.
TBH, it's probablu better not to do it on someone elses horse
And I have also picked up on the 'nervous rider' and 'experienced rider'. Whats the deal?

polaris

Visit site
Most stunt horses are trained to stop dead at a whistle.....it was most emtertaining when I worked wwith them. You could get up to all sorts lol!

vicm2509

Visit site
I dont click at my horse but I do sometimes use voice commands when I ride him. I will say 'trot on' whilst giving him the aids at the same time, just the same commands as when im lunging really. I dont always to it, just when hes being lazy. I will also growl at him if he naughty, and if hes excited saying 'steady' in a calm voice seems to keep his rythm more constant. I do tend to use my legs and reins more than my voice though.

If it was a one off I wouldnt mind someone clicking at my horse as he is not 'click trained' but if this person were to ride him on a regular basis I would ask them not to do it incase he responded to someone elses click when I didnt want him to.

SmokieJoe

Visit site
Yes the other week i was learning the rising trot, i never once in my posting said i was an experienced rider, and for those that seem to want to jump at me for their piece of flesh, shame on you. You have no idea what I have been doing since leaving that riding stable (that was nearly 3 weeks ago!)

I have been riding my friends horses nearly every day, she has more omph that the stable horses. Anything ive said has not been a lie and im upset to think that anyone here would try to protray me as one.

I walked and trotted this horse, I never said that I did anymore! If this is the way some people are going to treat me then I dont think I will be back!

Ive lots of friends at the yard who had told me after all this that yes they noticed that I clicked before giving a command, the riding instructor that I was with never stopped this, thats why I was checking to see if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was checking to see if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really doesn't matter when one is doing it with their own horse - when it's yours you can do as you like - the point being here is that you were doing it on someone else's horse and they asked you to stop. That is their prerogative - they own that horse - they have the say in what you do or don't do.

As you have seen from this post, some people don't mind it, others do mind it. Each to their own.
smile.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Ignore them - clicking is up to you - it is not dentrimental to the horses wellbeing if you click or dont click...if the owner doesnt want you to do it you must respect it but remember that the voice is one of the aids and a very handy one it is too!

Have fun with the horses that you are riding.