Do you own a headshaker...

ldlp111

Visit site
Just wanted some more info...on symptoms and what works for you...

What symptoms does your horse have and what do you find works for him/her be it a suppliment, nose net etc.

Also in CR :)

FionaM12

Visit site
I'm struggling with this too, but haven't got very far with working out the cause. She stopped head-shaking at the end of August and is just starting again now. Sigh.

So, it's seasonal in Mollie's case so probably allergy or sunlight related. I thought it was flies last year, but two days ago she was head-shaking like crazy and there were practically no flies.

She does it when ridden, starting as soon as the bridle goes on. She stops when I get off. :rolleyes:

Riding her bitless doesn't make much difference.

She doesn't do it grazing in the field.

She doesn't do it in the winter.

She's quite head shy and hates anything on her face, so when I tried a nose net last summer, she went bonkers.:rolleyes:

So, my investigations start again now, having had the winter off. What methods of helping your horse have you found?

FionaM12

Visit site
Oh, sorry, symptoms: shakes her head side to side and up and down, scratches her nose on fenceposts, her own knees, people...:eek:

Grunts and snorts quite a bit, as if clearing her nostrils.

Nose runs slightly, also weepy eyes.

I haven't tried any suppliments, but I think I will this year.

ldlp111

Visit site
Well mine has only just stsrted being funny with her head as well, she is a very jerky reaction like something has zapped her on the nose. Also she does her funny ear thing which is when one ear goes out at a funny angle and she will occasionnally shake her head like something in ear (which it could possibly be although this has only just started when the jerky head did)
So far I have tried a suppliment the Naf one, she was still occasionally jerking her head on sunday and on the lunge other day so not sure this is helping.

I know there is lots of different types and reasons hence trying to workout if one particular thing works for certain symtoms.

You might like to try vaseline around her nostrils as from what i've heard those type of symptoms are pollen related I think. :)

Ets mine also snorts alot and does cough alittle at start of working but possibly due to having hay in trailer.

Trakehner

Visit site
My gelding hates flies, he's a truly delicate flower...fly sheet, leggings and mask. I use a draft-sized mask to it sits low on his nose. This makes a difference....he hates flies on his nose.

Ella19

Visit site
my ponies is pollen related. She has just started again this year, interestingly enough never does it on the lunge or in the field, only when ridden and not every day, tends to be sunny days and when my hayfever is rife. She's also not good on dusty surfaces. I found a nose net helps and Global herbs pollenex has helped her eyes and nose but not the head shaking.

dotty1

Visit site
Mine shakes from April to end of August. Last year was her first year of being ridden and I had never noticed it before that. She shakes her head sideways as if to get rid of a fly in her ears and gets stroppy, striking out, not wanting to stand still. It is worse if she gets hot. I found a nosenet stopped 80% of it and made it bareable. As soon as I try to take her bridle off shes rubbing on me, but as soon as its off she s fine.
I haven't needed the nosenet yet, have noticed a few shakes on warmer days and a bit more yesterday afete a little xc schooling.

lara b

Visit site
March to september ish, throws his head up and down, does the I have just been zapped flick, snorts, and rubs his nose on anything handy including other riding companions horses!

He only does it ridden but does suffer with runny nose and eyes when not ridden too and is allergic to dust.

Woody areas, rape seed, bright sun and flies all irritate it.

I find nose net, cashel ride mask for uv, and avoiding woods and rape seed especially at trot or canter all help. I also used the naff supplement for a bit last year and may again this year if he gets bad.

TigerTail

Visit site
I went to the Vets on Tour lecture back in August and one of the lectures was on headshaking which I paid close attention to as my mare does it sporadically.

It is not an allergic reaction in the sense we have allergic reactions, it is actually neurological as there are neuro changes, however there can be environmental triggers, which is why everyone thinks its pollen or flies etc

Prof Derek is conducting research and trials into it currently and has done some operations with varying degrees of success. Theres a link below to an article he did for H&H and the Vets on Tour lectures are on the dodson and horrell website.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1370/89386.html