DO YOU PAY FOR A HORSE BEING TRANSPORTED UPFRONT?

equestriangal

Visit site
It’s a long distance journey, paid the deposit upfront.
Have now been asked for the remaining balance? Is this normal procedure? I would have expected to pay the remaining balance on the day?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d expect to pay the full amount prior to delivery, unless other arrangements had been made and agreed upon.

MissTyc

Visit site
I've always transferred money before transport. Only use reputable companies and wasn't there for loading or travelling, but was there for unloading (France - UK & Ireland - UK)

flying_high

Visit site
If I was the delivery company, I wouldn't take horse until full payment for travel had been made. Otherwise you could fail to pay.

HorseyTee

Visit site
I've always paid full amount upon safe arrival of my horse but never been asked for it upfront. But then the transport I've used has all but once been people I've known ao maybe that is why.

flying_high

Visit site
I've always paid full amount upon safe arrival of my horse but never been asked for it upfront. But then the transport I've used has all but once been people I've known ao maybe that is why.

Yes, if you know the person to be trustworthy cash on the day be fine. But for a business dealing with an unknown client, would expect to pay up front.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Yes, if you know the person to be trustworthy cash on the day be fine. But for a business dealing with an unknown client, would expect to pay up front.

Yes I can understand a business who has never met you to expect at least a deposit to confirm booking and the rest on collection of the animal. Sadly all too many people are untrustworthy these days.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would usually expect to pay the money, usually bank transfer before and have always done this. The exception to this is a couple of local transporters who take me to shows that I use regularly who are happy to take cash at the end of the day.

Visit site
Most expect a deposit and the balance to be paid by the day of pick up. Usually so that if you decide not to buy/transport the horse you only lose the deposit and not the whole cost and they have a bit as compensation for a space that was booked but now empty which could have been used for another client.

honetpot

Visit site
I pay in advance. Its usually collection, and I am not there. They could turn up and the documents not be OK, or deliver it and you not pay. I have always used well known companies and always been happy.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
have always paid up front-generally there's a deposit to be paid and balance to be paid day before at the latest. use a reputable company and you'll have no bother.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have always paid in advance but when Harvey came from Ireland I paid cash to the driver when I picked him up

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Payment terms should always be marked on the quote or pro-forma invoice, something like "30% deposit to be paid upon ordering the service, balance to be paid [upon collection|upon delivery|14 days prior to collection]".

I don't see why transporting livestock should be any different to transporting people or objects.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I paid a deposit and then in full prior to one horse being collected when using an international transporter and the other which was a local company didn't want paying until horse was delivered to me. I must have sounded honest on the phone because I tried to pay before pony was collected but he refused 😁