Do you prefer Gelding or mares?

MochaDun

Visit site
Geldings. What's that saying, ask a gelding, tell a stallion and discuss it with a mare! Or something like that.

I think it's partly what you get used to - I started age 8 learning on a gelding, moved onto another gelding as I grew, rode friends' ponies which all were geldings, started back riding after a 24 year break at a riding school and was put on geldings...bought a gelding 6 years ago!

3DE

Visit site
Neither.
Stallions all the way for me! :D

Me too - though I keep mine at home so I can.

If I had to have a non-stallion I'd have a mare. All the gelding I have had just don't seem to have the same personality. I find that mares and stallions would move the earth for you once you get that bond with you. Gelding just do as you tell them but don't seem to go out of their way to keep you out of trouble... That's my experience anyway

kyanya

Visit site
I've known some lovely mares and geldings, and some not so good'uns.

One of the trickiest mares I knew would give you a run for your money on the ground if you didn't do things the way she liked - you wouldn't go in her stable if she didn't want you to! All because she was a mare, I thought. However, she was the best ride - uncomplicated and brave.

But her son was just the same - a bit of a horror on the ground, sensitive and opinionated. And he was a gelding. I've known plenty easier mares than him!

When I get to buy my own horse, gender won't come into it - I'll be going to see mares and geldings and I could end up with either. They all have their own personalities, after all.

JadeyyAndLadyy

Visit site
I feel that mares will 'let you in' more than geldings would, and mares have a bit more personality than geldings. BUT ive only ever personally owned a mare, but have ridden and looked after geldings. I like both as much as each other but feel like i can have a better relationship with a mare :)

Sanolly

Visit site
I have one of each and love them both as much although for different reasons. My gelding is totally genuine and eager to please, he is very affectionate and generally just a real sweetie. My mare is independent, stubborn, a really nice ride and again really affectionate when she wants to be. She has taught me so much over the last year. Of my other 2 mares that I've had, one was lovely and the other was a cow to handle but lovely under saddle.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
i prefer geldings... they tend to be in the same mood everyday, also i have found they are a bit easier to handling and more loving although each horse is different and i had a fab relationship with a *chestnut mare* i had on loan. So personally i just go with temperament

JustMe22

Visit site
Never had a mare so I spose I can't comment fairly..but I do seem to prefer geldings. There's a couple of mares I've got on alright with, but generally..geldings. Almost all of the horses I've really really enjoyed and got on with were geldings (bar one).

My sister seems to prefer mares..

ScarlettLady

Visit site
Got one of each,
The mare can be the cowbag from hell, infact its about 5 days out of 7!!! :mad: we clash most of the time, my trainer wishes she'd taught us when we were together just for a laugh!!! shes now retired :cool:
And my gelding is just lovely most of the time.... :rolleyes:

Bertthefrog

Visit site
A good horse is a good horse - so that will do for me! Doesn't matter if mare, gelding or stallion - if I can click with him or her, then I can't ask for more!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our first horse was a gelding, a lovely animal who got on with his job and looked after whoever he felt responsible for. Since then we have had 10 mares! The current four (part of the ten) are varying ages and stages, from a 6 year old childs pony to a retired ride and drive lady, all very different personalities, but all have been more giving of themselves than geldings I have ridden. They take longer to click, but once they have you have a great relationship.

abbieandfiona

Visit site
Well as i have 4 mares guess it would be mares, never had a gelding to compair them to. And sort of ended up with more mares, however one of my mares my friends say is just like a boy.

Pedantic

Visit site
For owning myself, Geldings, cant be arsed with all that hormonal season stuff, got a wife and 2 daughters to fullfill the hormonal havoc part of my life,
doesn't mean I don't like some mares, they can be really loving.

Steorra

Visit site
Either! I like horses with big personalities, but there are geldings out there who are opinionated and mares who are very quiet and sweet. My horse is a gelding and is quirkyness personified :D

3DE

Visit site
Here's another take on it... If you by sheer luck get a horse that shows super talent and goes 4 star what use is a gelding? Once it's career is over it will never be heard of again. At least if you have a mare or stallion you can continue super lines if you get a good one. Slim chance I know :eek:

horses13

Visit site
Had a mare for 27 years that i loved to bits. Seemed to think i then preferred geldings, don't know why but have a mix.
Just had two foals born. Really wanted filly's. Got 1 filly 1 colt, love em both but daughter said Geldings are easier:confused: Never had a problem with mare or Gelding so if i stop debateing with myself i don't think i actually have a preference:D

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Well iv only ever owned a gelding but he was like a moody mare in the stable lmao and peed alot which apparently mares do!! But i think id go for another gelding

TurtleToo

Visit site
Finding this quite an interesting post as I am currently horseless but have noticed this in my relationship with my dogs, and even other small animals.

I prefer females of any species, ime, yes they are more difficult to form a bond with, but the bond is far stronger at the end of the day..

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
I've only ever really owned and rode geldings but the mare I bought last year is turning out to be one of the best horses I've ever owned, she really tries to please. I also own a gelding and he's more affectionate than the mare and a bit of a mummy's boy, he prefers to be made a fuss of.