Do you prefer hacking alone or with someone?

Reashi

Visit site
As the title says.....do you prefer hacking on your lonesome, or do you prefer hacking with someone else/a group. I have to say I much much much prefer going out on my own. It means I can go where I like, do whatever pace I like when I like, cut the ride short if I want to, make the ride longer if I want to, not have to make conversation the whole time. If I see someone preparing for a hack, I either speed up to get out before them, or slow down so they leave before me, just to avoid them asking to join me. If they do ask though, I always say yes, as I don't know how you can say no without seeming rude! I dont mind going hacking with my sister, cause theres usually a lot to talk about, or it doesnt matter if we ride along in silence. Am I just hideously anti-social or is there anyone else who feels the same?!

ihatework

Visit site
No I'm the same.
Sometimes I do like the company and a bit of a gossip but normally am quite content ambling along in my own little world!
And thats only if I force myself to go out hacking in the first place, not my favourite pastime, much prefer schooling

eekmon

Visit site
I like to go out with people! We have a good old chat and my horse is much better behaved in company
crazy.gif
Plus I would only hack with someone I knew and liked! Only come from a small yard so there isnt anyone I wouldn't want to ride with and if I did fancy riding in company or just needed a bit of space I would just say that
smile.gif

princesskelly

Visit site
i dont mind doing either but my horse is better behaved on her own other horses start off her non-stop for some reason they dont even have to do anything! she's a bit strange. so most of the time i hack on my own.

truffles

Visit site
I like having the choice of choosing whether I want to go out on my own or not.
smile.gif
I like the peacefulness, and, as you said, not having to make conversation all the time is nice, but then again, having the company, and teaching any horse how to behave in company is usefull as well!
smile.gif

Oooh forgot to add....how can I forget...I LOVE racing lol!
blush.gif
grin.gif

teapot

Visit site
I've only ever hacked with others, whether it would be just other member of staff or taking a group of kids out.

I'd quite like to hack on my own so I can just have some me time, thinking about whatever.

_daisy_

Visit site
When i was riding Ebi i preferred to go out on my own - i could go at the speed i wanted to, go where the hell i pleased and like you said come home early or go off longer. Its great when you can just have a really peaceful ride listening to the birds (sad i know but nice)
Now i dont ride Ebi and ive got the ponio to ride, its nicer to take her out in company as shes a bit wound up if she goes out on her own. I take her on her own but shes calmer when others are around. Doesnt spook as much but is always lead horse(or should that be pony?)
Most of the time mum comes along but she does what i do so she doesnt count.

My pet hates about going out with some people:
1)when they ask if they can come out with me then dont want to go where i want to go
2)or at the speed i want to go at.
3)moan all the way around
4)all they want to do is walk just in case something might happen
5)having those awkward silences that you feel you must have to say something.

S_N

Visit site
It totally depends on my mood. I'd say 50/50 tbh! As you rightly say, I love the freedom of hacking out alone also means you can have mad conversations with your horse/pony and sing if you wish to as well!

BethandHenry

Visit site
I prefer going out with others, I go with my sister so dont have problems with speed etc, but occasionally I go out on my own and its nice just me and Henry on our own little hack! Yesterday I'd just cantered up a field and this other girl wanted to canter back down as well, but because it was on the way back (I dont do canters on the way home) and slightly downhill I just said no and she was fine with it
smile.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Both. Love going out on my own. Ged turns into endurance racing mode if its just him and me which is awesome. The only other person I ever hack out with is my friend who I share the stables with - we're a bad influence on each other and have a good laugh.

I don't like hacking out with novices or larger groups - I used to work for a riding school, taking out large groups and its scarred me for life!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Most of people on my yard are old clogs i am the youngest there apart from one little 3 year old girl... they want gentle stroll whereas i want to whizz about or do proper schooling while hacking (no school) I would love to have company sometimes.... can be quite lonely hacking alone after such a long time, Good thing is that buck Hacks alone or in company well...

druid

Visit site
Both - I regularly hack out with a friend who I can just chat too or with my brother and father but I also enjoy those long summer hacks in the sun just mooching along on my own.

Bess

Visit site
I prefer going out with a friend because traffic gives you a wider berth and we can have a good chat, but will happily go out on my own if no-one else wants to go out.

Shrimp

Visit site
I prefer going on my own and mostly I do. I can do whatever and go where ever I want and Shrimp can be a b*gger in company (thinks hes racing again
crazy.gif
) Also no one on my yard goes at the speed or distances I do especially when doing fittening work so its much easier to go out on my own.

shoo

Visit site
When I used to be at a stables I hacked out all the time with others and alone, but now that I'm in a yard on my own it does become quite lonely
frown.gif
, plus the fact that my OH doesn't like me venturing to far from the yard, due to an accident his ex had whilst hacking alone.

4whitesocks

Visit site
would love to be brave enough to hack out by myself but am a complete chicken sh*t on the roads after my first mare who was a rearer....am hopong that after the winter we'll be brave enough (as at the moment I know my nerves would freak him out!)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I generally prefer hacking out on my own except going somewhere PF hasn't been before and then I like someone else there to give her reassurance.
Rather too many people here are knobheads who want to gallop (all the way!) and I like a more controlled pace!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I love hacking my coloured alone, I never hack out with anyone from my yard, and usually lead sister's horse out so I dont have to put up with her
blush.gif
Down at Jo's I get there before her groom so I can ride J and then be gone
smile.gif

Down at bekka's I ofter hack with her, which I find easy because all of her horses are lead ride, so all ride at the same pace, there is nothing more infuriating than hacking out with someone and having to wait for them all of the time.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I like both really, depending on my mood. Springy is good with company and on her own so I guess I am lucky in that way. I do like mooching along and chattering away to her, it feels like quality time together. But I also like going out with others, I am fairly chatty so can gossip with most people
grin.gif
and its nice to have a natter and a giggle about things.

Maloo

Visit site
Have just moved my mare from home to a livery yard just so that we can have some company for a while (I know mad or what!!) but with Beth and Song now left home the yard is pretty quiet and lonely (and oh so tidy!!) So doing lots of riding out in company at the mo - although will move her back home at the end of the month when the clocks change (also trying to find someone to share the yard with - seems a waste 3 stables and 5 acres with just one horse!!) So I guess I like to hack in company but also to hack alone as you can get some quality schooling done at the same time (alas no school either!)

annbal

Visit site
on my own most of the time, but i do sometimes like to meet up and go for a blast. Luckily my boy is good on his own and with others, so i always enjoy my hack.

marmite

Visit site
I enjoy hacking with other people safety in number and all that and also as you ride out with other people chat turns to your horses and past horses i feel you can learn alot about each other and the horses,and its nice i think.

But once in a while if i have had a crap day or if life is dealing me a crap card i go out alone for a blow out or just park jay lad by river get off have a chat and good cry into his neck,but people on yard know my temperment if im yakking my head off and wont shut up im fine,if im quiet and avoid conversations they know im really down or peeved off and to leave well alone.

but 90% of the time i like company whilst hacking.