Do you remember the date you lost your horse(s)?

Baywonder

Visit site
I had a conversation last night with my DH, and he asked how many years it had been since I lost my old boy (he was PTS). I gave him the exact date and time, 21 years ago.

He was really surprised I knew this, and I wasn't really shocked at his reaction, as most men I know are rubbish with dates. But this got me thinking - am I just one of those weird people who remember stuff like this, or is it commonplace amongst us horsey people?

BTW, I really don't want to upset anyone by asking this question, as I know some of you have recently lost your beloved horses. I am just genuinely curious.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
24th April 2018 approx 17:00 Lady was put to sleep. It was also the same day I started my new job, so day two was difficult.

My Daisy (cat) was put to sleep 30th September 2019 at 14:30, and that broke me.

vmac66

Visit site
16th March 2017 4.20 pm Zac was pts. It was a lovely sunny day. I remember feeing glad that his last day had been a nice one.
20th July 2021 we had our 10 year old malamute Ozzy pts. He was one in a million, still miss him.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi,

My lovely 28 yo horse travelled off to his lush green pastures a year ago yesterday @ 11am, just at the start of LD1. He had had Cushings for 8 years, and some complications arose which made the decision for us that it was time.

It was my vet's last call before she was furloughed (a big practice) and the sun was shining that day and the YM did a great job with helping with all the arrangements. It was still a very sad day of course, but "a day too early it's better than a minute too late", as they say.

Flicker

Visit site
Less the exact dates. More the memories of the day, the things the yard and I did to make them feel special beforehand and the peacefulness of the process thanks to incredibly supportive and professional, competent vets. Also, the weather has played ball - I’ve never had to PTS in the rain.

Also, humorous little incidents. With one horse, he snaffled half a bar of Dairy Milk one of the liveries had left outside her stable as we were leading him outside. He went across the bridge with chocolate on his teeth. With my mare who I lost at the end of 2019, the yard turned her out in the morning into one of the fresh fields for a bite of grass and then couldn’t catch her. Things were getting hairy, with the vet around 30 minutes away. They finally got her in and she was so pleased with herself.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I only remember the date of one because it was Remembrance Day, so hard to forget. Otherwise, I just remember the time of year, not necessarily which year.
The same goes for other pets and people.
I find keeping dates in mind a bit maudlin.

maisie06

Visit site
I had a conversation last night with my DH, and he asked how many years it had been since I lost my old boy (he was PTS). I gave him the exact date and time, 21 years ago.

He was really surprised I knew this, and I wasn't really shocked at his reaction, as most men I know are rubbish with dates. But this got me thinking - am I just one of those weird people who remember stuff like this, or is it commonplace amongst us horsey people?

BTW, I really don't want to upset anyone by asking this question, as I know some of you have recently lost your beloved horses. I am just genuinely curious.

Best horse ever 21st dec 2015 at 08.30 when we said goodbye, sold the others not long after, heart wasn't in it anymore and my weight span out of control, and dealing with winter and mud got soul destroying.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Some of them, I know I got Mysti around Halloween/bonfire night 2009.
Lost Barney (greyhound) 31st October 2016 pretty late on in the evening
Tinkerbelle (cat) 5th November 2017.
Neither were fireworks related funnily enough.

Must be something about that time of year!

The hamster also croaked it on my 11th birthday (timing or what ?) so 30th June 2005.

UnfilteredCowgirl

Visit site
None of my personal critters have died (thank goodness! I feel so sorry for all of you that have lost a beloved animal! Hugs!), but I did have to sell my little male donkey, Tim, and that was....painful, to say the least. I sold him, and he was dropped off at the transport lady's truck, on Jan. 10 2021, at about 7am.
I used to feel really down, and sorry about it whenever I remembered him, but then I realized that he had given me so many good memories, that I owed at least that to him, to remember all the good he had done for me. I then began to create a video of him, and all the memories we had together, that made me feel so much better. I still cry every time I watch the video, but they're happy tears, for all the good things we did together, and for joy that he is in a good home, with loving people.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I don't. I know the month but only know what date if my phone shows me an on this day last year photo. Same with my family members I've lost. I can remember the events of the day like it was yesterday but no idea of dates.

mariew

Visit site
Nope, I sometimes struggle with the year even though it wasn't that many years ago. I do the remember the peace after she was pts when I sat with her though waiting for the lorry to take her away. The weather, soft breeze and the birds flying in the sky and the fluffy clouds blowing past.

PSD

Visit site
Yep. Exact time, date and exactly how the day went. Weather was glorious, but I’ll never get “the moment” out of my head. It haunted me for months afterwards, but I try to remember her in the field grazing happily the day before...and her not letting me catch her despite being crippled with laminitis ?

Can’t believe it’s coming up to a year, what a year it’s been.

cariad

Visit site
I lost 2 of mine on the first day of Burghley, which we were due to go to, 2 years apart. Unbelieveable coincidence. The first we had to have put down as although he looked ok, he was down in the field and just was not going to get up again. He was 34. The second was 2 years later in 2019 and he had died overnight in the field. He was 30. They were both fine until they obviously weren't, both had eaten their tea up the evening before and wandered off up the field, no inkling they were going to go. The second always was an awkward bugger, so I might have expected something like that from him really! Our local knackerman is really good, lovely chap and he had them done and dusted very early- we were up at the crack of dawn to get off anyway- and we were able to get to Burghley for the afternoon. It was a bit of a quiet afternoon though.

Michen

Visit site
I don’t remember the exact time but it was around 10pm when the vets called me to say he had stood up from colic surgery and his leg had broken beyond repair. I remembered sitting on the stone tiles, somehow texting my best friend who was an hour away. Then crawling into the shower and next thing I knew she was here.

The week that followed I genuinely don’t remember. I thank my lucky stars my boss was an animal lover and understood, it took me a week before I could go back to work and even then I was a zombie.

So I don’t remember the exact time but I remember the exact moment like it was yesterday.

Michen

Visit site
I lost 2 of mine on the first day of Burghley, which we were due to go to, 2 years apart. Unbelieveable coincidence. The first we had to have put down as although he looked ok, he was down in the field and just was not going to get up again. He was 34. The second was 2 years later in 2019 and he had died overnight in the field. He was 30. They were both fine until they obviously weren't, both had eaten their tea up the evening before and wandered off up the field, no inkling they were going to go. The second always was an awkward bugger, so I might have expected something like that from him really! Our local knackerman is really good, lovely chap and he had them done and dusted very early- we were up at the crack of dawn to get off anyway- and we were able to get to Burghley for the afternoon. It was a bit of a quiet afternoon though.

I am reading this and thinking how lucky you are. My biggest wish in life is that Boggle has a long and happy life and grows up with me, and that I don’t loose him before his time. To have two horses reach that age is incredible, what a privilege.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I don’t remember the exact time but it was around 10pm when the vets called me to say he had stood up from colic surgery and his leg had broken beyond repair. I remembered sitting on the stone tiles, somehow texting my best friend who was an hour away. Then crawling into the shower and next thing I knew she was here.

The week that followed I genuinely don’t remember. I thank my lucky stars my boss was an animal lover and understood, it took me a week before I could go back to work and even then I was a zombie.

So I don’t remember the exact time but I remember the exact moment like it was yesterday.

I can’t imagine how awful that must still feel, so sorry for your pain.