Do you ride in a 16 inch saddle? How tall are you.

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm selling bens bates momentum, I've decided to put it on ebay soon as much as it pains me, I simply need something straighter cut. Now it's a 17 and a half inch, a size I've always thought suitable for me, but since bates are generous to say the least it's huge! I've been assessing my size options and in reality I think that since I ride long most of the time and since this saddle leaves me room to spare and more, I could actually get away easily with a 16.5 inch working hunter saddle. However, I've seen a really nice 16 inch, within my budget and in a make I like (saddle company) and I'm curious:

If you ride in a 16 inch saddle, how tall are you and how long do you ride in your stirrups, long, average or short?

If you've ridden in a saddle company saddle, are they generous?

Does anyone use a 16 inch on a 15.2/3 horse that is squarely built?

I'm 5 ft 6 and I ride long in the leg, could I get away with it or would it be too much of an ask?

Bryndu

Visit site
Hi,
I am 5'4 and ride in a 16inch WH saddle on a 14.2
I had the saddle made for the horse as he has a wide back and the seat and panels needed to acccomodate him. (Not saddle company)
I ride very long,
The main thing is to make sure that you are sitting in the middle of any saddle you buy.

Best of luck
Bryndu

Louby

Visit site
I think its more about your size not height. My friend was a size 6/8 and fit lovely in a 16.5 inch saddle, her horse was 16.3 but very short coupled and the overall picture was good. I have ridden her horse too, Im a size 12, felt very secure in her saddle lol but didnt feel like it was uncomfy, saddler however said the smallest I should go was 17 inch and really a 17.5. My friend was 5ft 4, Im 5ft 7. For taller people a 16 inch may have flaps that are too short so Id compare these to your saddle especially if riding long.

SO1

Visit site
I am 5ft.1 and small build and have a 16inch working hunter saddle company saddle on my 13.3 new forest gelding.

Queenbee

Visit site
Thanks guys, I forgot to say I'm size 10/12, I will measure my thighs and post on here, maybe that will help me figure it all out...

Louby

Visit site
You could do with knowing how long the flaps are as being tallish I had longer ones put on mine. If the saddle youve seen was previously for a pony then they may be too short. Is it a new saddle, if so you could have it tailored to fit you, or if a 2nd hand one, Im presuming you will try before you buy?

Vicki-Finn-Perry

Visit site
I ride both my 13.1h ponies in 16" saddles. The one has a WH saddle and the other has a close contact jumping saddle.

I am 5'1 and dress size 6-8

I just about fit in them, although I do tend to ride short !

Queenbee

Visit site
Louby, very good point about the flaps I hadn't even considered that... If I get a saddle company saddle I will probably buy online and have it fitted to him, but yes it will be second hand, alternatively, I will take measurements and templates to local auctions and purchase a second hand saddle and get it flocked to fit him if necessary once I have it.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Hi, I ride both my ponies in 16 inch working hunter saddles by the Saddle Company. I am 5ft 3in and a size 10-12 and they fit me fine. One is a square cantle which is more generous than the regular cantle for your buttom but I am more than comfy in both mine, even when I put a few pounds on.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Louby, very good point about the flaps I hadn't even considered that... If I get a saddle company saddle I will probably buy online and have it fitted to him, but yes it will be second hand, alternatively, I will take measurements and templates to local auctions and purchase a second hand saddle and get it flocked to fit him if necessary once I have it.

Want me to measure the flaps on mine tomorrow?

Kat

Visit site
My 6'2" long legged husband was riding in a 17" WH saddle until recently! The saddle fitter was pretty surprised that he hadn't castrated himself! Horse was fine with this but it wasn't great for his position and his riding is better in the small 18" dressage saddle we have now.

I am sure you would get away with it but it may well compromise your position.

Lolo

Visit site
Al's a size 10 and is 5'5, and really struggles to comfortably ride in less than a 17" saddle. She does, as she regularly schools a horde of ponies all under 14hh, but as a long term thing she really would rather not!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I do. 13h pony.

9133310b-1d92-47e1-bae4-bf5f0845f628_zps8d9b21a1.jpg

I'm 5'4''.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I think it depends on how long/short you ride and how long/short you are from hip to knee.

I am only 5'4" but I struggle to ride in anything less than a 17.5" because I ride short and have a long upper leg. Weird because I am a midget really so you'd think I could ride in something far smaller!! I think if it was a jumping saddle with forward cut saddle flaps I might be able to go an inch or two smaller but not in your normal GP.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Also depends on the build of the saddle.

I'm 5ft8 with a 34 inch leg, Fig is 15hh. My saddle is a 16.5 inch seat.

1689010_643742369014100_1721484971_n_zps4dbbe192.jpg

Due to the tree (somehow) breaking in my Equipe, I've had the unpleasant experience of riding in a few different saddles recently. I had to put my stirrups up 2 holes to get any benefit from the knee rolls in one, had to put them down 1 to get any balance in another and the third my knees poked out the front door despite the saddle being a 17.5 inch :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it depends on the saddle, you also don't want to reduce the weight bearing surface too much unnecessarily.