Do you see an oestopath if you have a fall?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Might be a good idea! I came off about 12 months ago with enough force to break a rib. After it mended I kept meaning to go to the oestopath, but just didn't get round to it, although I was feeling increasingly stiff, just generally but not enough to really worry about.

So, I got round to going and boy, what a difference. I feel 10 years younger and, after sleeping most of the weekend after the first treatment, feel far more energetic and find myself doing things that I have been putting off for ages.

The oesto found that the bones in my skull were a bit "off" hence a bit of a stiff neck and the only thing that wasn't wonky was my pelvis - and that was from a fall that I felt was not particularly serious, just one of those things.

So the message is, if you have a fall, get yourself seen to as well as the horse.

Niddlynoo

Visit site
I had a nasty fall about 4 months ago and have been feeling battered ever since. Fed up of feeling like this - have finally got an appointment tomorrow. I hope I feel better after :)

rlhnlk

Visit site
*Dim question alert* Where did you go to find your osteopath and how much do they cost? I think I should probably go and see one sometime...

luckyoldme

Visit site
My dad went to see a chiropracter.
He had been bad with a sore back for a while.. nhs no good.
he performed a manouver where he sood behind him and threaded his arms under his armpits and sort of snapped him.
Dads screams were heard outside the building.
Finally a few days later we persuaded the nhs to xray he was found to have 3 fractured vertabrae. test revealed he had osteoperosis.
the doctors said his injuries resembles those of a car crash victim.
I would love to ask dad what he thought of chiropracters but i cant because he died due to a blood clot which formed due to his immobility.
Personally wouldn t go near a quack.

SueAllen

Visit site
No. But I book an appointment with my physio straight away. I long ago learnt that it is worth dealing with the problem straight away, one appointment (usually) and the exercises that they recommend. Otherwise it can come back and present problems for years later.

maggiesmum

Visit site
I'm not a fan of chiropractors (I took my horse to one once and wasn't awfully keen on him bashing vertebrae with a hammer!!!) however I trust my osteopath implicitly and yes I always take the first available appointment after a fall - its damage limitation!
I learnt the hard way after injuring a ligament in my knee a few years ago, the doctor prescribed rest, painkillers blah blah so I limped for 6 months whilst it healed.
When it did heal and I stopped limping I had terrible pain in my lower back so I booked an appointment with the oesteo who had me stand in from of her and take a look down at my feet, seriously one foot was naturally positioning itself 3 inches in front of the other, 6 months of limping had totally buggered up my posture and muscle tone, it took a long time to put that right - had I been seeing her whilst the ligament was healing it probably wouldn't have happened.

If your horse wasn't quite moving correctly but it wasn't a lameness as such wouldn't you get someone out to see him, So why treat yourself any differently?
Un-level riders make un-level horses!

indie999

Visit site
I would see a good sports physio as first choice then Osteopath. Osteopaths do tend to tell most people they have wonky hips...! I mean are we symmetrical anyway!!?!!

you either love em or hate them. I love Osteopaths and had bones that crunched and felt wonderful afterwards. But have known people who think it made things worse. Also go on recommendation.

Glad it worked but I was shocked at the loud noise! very expensive too

Louby

Visit site
I went to see one a few weeks back and I came out really impressed. They gave me a sheet saying I could feel a bit off for a couple of days. The following night I felt terrible, sick and dizzy and the following week I felt so ill. I was literally sat at my desk holding my head up, was so dizzy, had tingly legs and just felt awful. I rang them back and he did see me again to check I was ok and he said he thought I had a virus. Maybe I did but it was a coincidence. I was talking to a few different people about it and one who is medically trained said it releases toxins and thats probably why I felt so ill.
I wont be going back just incase :confused: