Do YOU shut gates?

RunToEarth

Visit site
This morning a pretty sizable portion of our dairy herd escaped into fields and, a small few, onto a main road.
This follows a gate marked "PLEASE SHUT THE GATE. FARM ANIMALS." which was left open, we believe by a woman who was seen hacking through it this morning. The gate secures an area which the herd walk through every morning after they have been milked. The fields were very wet, 250 cows running through a wet field will damage both cows and land, probably having a knock on effect to the milk yield.
Farms are like any other industry, a working environment with inputs and outputs, wages to pay and livelihoods in the balance, please do not assume because we have a beautiful bit of the countryside it is any different.
I see both sides, as a rider, and a farmer, but ultimately I believe it isn't fair. These people don't allow you to ride across their land, you have a right to, but abusing that right by not respecting the land, by leaving gates open and causing incidents such as the one we were greeted with this morning are frankly not on.
There are a lot of farmers who are willing (and some who already have) taken things into their own hands, pulled signs up and padlocked gates. For a lot of people bridle ways are the only ways to get horses off of the road, it would be a terrible shame for everyone else if a small few spoilt that.
If it was shut when you opened it, shut it, and check that it IS shut properly.
As a result of this morning one of our cows is suffering trauma in her hind leg. Although the vet does think she will make a recovery, there is a chance she won't.

soph21

Visit site
Poor cow, I hope she's OK
mad.gif

It makes me mad too, I always shut gates.
We dont have land to ride through but bridle ways with gates at each end.

Walrus

Visit site
I don't really understand why anyone would leave a gate open if they found it shut - it's just good manners! And besides I'd be too scared of something happening to waltz through anywhere and leave without shutting the gate! I just don't understand the logic (maybe there isn't any!).

Hope your cow is OK.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well I know my coloured is a bugger to shut gates on, as soon as he sees the other side of the gate he wants to go, I get off to shut gates which takes longer, I'm guessing some people are just bone idle and leave them open...

BackInBlack

Visit site
Wouldn't dream of leaving a gate open, 1st rule of the countryside 'always close the gates'. i've fell off my horse closing gates, well i fell round him, new saddle slipped. can't see why people can't make the effort, it's common sense isn't it. glad it wasn't any worse for you and hope the cow recovers.

eggs

Visit site
I was always told that if the gate was shut when you got to it you should shut if after you have gone through but if it was open when you got to it to leave it open.
I always shut gates if they were shut even when it is from an arable field.

alsxx

Visit site
Makes no difference whether a horse is difficult to shut gates on or not, people should still shut them - its plain laziness, and ignorance too, if they dont.

I always shut gates, they are there for a reason after all.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I hope your cow is OK
I always shut gates - if horse is a bugger I will dismount to do them.
Different story but several weeks ago the person who my boy shares a paddock with left the gate open. Luckily another livery spotted him wondering up the yard looking for grass otherwise he could of been out on the road and god knows where!

Heidi1

Visit site
I always shut gates, have seen the aftermath of a gate being left open and it wasn't pretty...... I have the pleasure of having three horses who are very good at standing for a gate to be opened and closed by me on top.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I always shut gates. Sometimes I engage my brain and shut open gates too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see, I rarely shut open gates - unless it was the only thing separating animals from escaping. I can't imagine anything more annoying for someone who has left a gate open on purpose beacuse they are going to herd animals through the gateway, than to come back and find it closed
laugh.gif

gillianfleming

Visit site
Oh yes, had it drummed into when i was young and horseless, have relatives with farmes so we'd have been shot. Roger isn't very good at doing gates so quite often end up having to get off.
We're quite lucky as a lot of the hacking we have is on paths round the woods.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Very bad manners and dangerous not to shut the gates. I hope you see her again to have a word with her.

We have fitted long handled self closing gates to the gates on public rights of way that lead on to roads to reduce any chance of any cattle/sheep/horses escaping on to the road and causing an accident.

They are manufactured by a company called centrewire the web site is below.
(We put post and rail rather than barbed wire fencing on both sides of them so that the horses can not catch themselves on the barbed wire).

Here is the web site.

www.centrewire.com

Hope this helps.

RunToEarth

Visit site
We have those further away from the farm itself, but for asthetic reasons kept the lovely oak ones around the farm buildings themselves, although from a rider point of view they are still very easy to open and close.
I always used to dread the small bridleway gates with the weights on a chain at shutting side, to ensure the gate did close. They used to come back so quickly I once got my pony's bottom caught in it when I was small and I put me off for ages. My dad is good in that all the bridle gates are oiled and ALL can be done mounted on a sensible horse.
Either way, easy or hard to shut, if you open it, you must shut it, it is SO dangerous not to.

basil99

Visit site
Hope your cow will recover.

Yes always shut gates sometimes from horse if not get off to do it. Even shut gates onto moorland where the kind farmer has tied the hanging end with binder twin so as as soon as you release the latch the whole gate tries to fall on you! I cannot believe people are so inconsiderate.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I freely admit to being a gate nerd! Always shut one when going through. Our stables has direct access onto a bridle path and we've had problems with people not shutting gates. Most commom excuse is that they left it open because they are coming back that way.......

Thanks for the link about the gate closer PN - will check it out.

Smurphy

Visit site
I have to go through 2 gates on my local bridleway, one is impossible to close from horse back as its so low and stiff, I leave it open to make a point to the owner!!

But if there were animals in the field I would get off and close it regardless!!! If you cant get on and off your horse you shouldnt hack along a route that has gates, even easy gates can be a nightmare if its windy of your horse wont stand.

Kat

Visit site
Disgraceful! You should always close gates, if you can't do it mounted then you should get off, and if you can't do that then you shouldn't use routes with gates.

I used to ride a mare that was difficult with gates and used to just only ride routes that didn't involve any gates, it meant more road work but you can't risk leaving gates open and causing an accident.

Having said that sometimes farmers don't make it easy and when out walking I have come across gates that are virtually impossible to open and shut as an able bodied adult with two hands free walking with a companion who can assist. Occasionally I have come across gates so bad I have had to go over the wall which I would never normally do out of respect for the farmer but if they don't leave any option.....

There needs to be two way understanding and respect with all rights of way.

More teaching about the countryside would help, and maybe even tv adverts.

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have to go through 2 gates on my local bridleway, one is impossible to close from horse back as its so low and stiff, I leave it open to make a point to the owner!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding?

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Disgraceful! You should always close gates, if you can't do it mounted then you should get off, and if you can't do that then you shouldn't use routes with gates.

I used to ride a mare that was difficult with gates and used to just only ride routes that didn't involve any gates, it meant more road work but you can't risk leaving gates open and causing an accident.

Having said that sometimes farmers don't make it easy and when out walking I have come across gates that are virtually impossible to open and shut as an able bodied adult with two hands free walking with a companion who can assist. Occasionally I have come across gates so bad I have had to go over the wall which I would never normally do out of respect for the farmer but if they don't leave any option.....

There needs to be two way understanding and respect with all rights of way.

More teaching about the countryside would help, and maybe even tv adverts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh completely agree with this- with the increase of people getting injured and even killed due to livestock chasing dogs etc it really needs to be addressed.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Always. Even if it inconveniences me. (ie I have to bend, or even get off, perish the thought!!!)

I was brought up with manners, and respect other peoples property.

Smurphy

Visit site
why would i be kidding!!! Why they hell should I get off, when the gate is impossible to close on horse back, my horse stand like a rock for gates. If a gate is on a bridleway it should be suitable for purpose!!!

The bridleway im talking about goes through a garden of a livery yard owner, no livestock.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Surely the adult thing to do is close the gate and then go speak to the landowner? Asking them if they could help you make it more rider friendly, win-win situation..??

Or perhaps, maybe, at a stretch you could loop some twine over the gate and oil the hinges? Just a thought
wink.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
There is a gate near me that I have to get off for to open, as it has dropped so much that it is just impossible to move. Just means i don't go that way very often
smirk.gif

My horse used to be an idiot at gates, buts that because he was young and didn't get it. I have never had a horse be bad at gates - they just have to blummin well learn to behave!

Smurphy

Visit site
maybe so, I shouldnt have to. But I do always look for someone on the yard that I can mentioned it to.

but Im not driving miles out of my way just to mention a gate, different story if there were animals in there but its just a fenced of lawn.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Hope the cow is ok.

And yes I always shut gates, had it drummed into me from an early age. It's pure ignorance not to and can't think of an excuse for not doing it.

So many walkers around here and the gates are always being left open.
mad.gif
Pees me off no end.

I've yelled after many an idiot who thinks closing the gate but not latching it, is adequate.
mad.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
landowners are not obliged to replace gates for your convenience- may you be reminded you are already riding over someone else's land.
Solid wooden gates cost £900, metal ones £600, do you think every farmer is fortunate enough to be able to pay for such a cost? Our farm has 72 gates in total, over three quaters of them are padlocked to stop them being opened.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
maybe so, I shouldnt have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but in the real world sometimes we have to do things we shouldn't have to.

Personally I'd rather fix the gate myself so its functional AND horse friendly, rather than 'making a point' which clearly, by the way, ISN'T...

You should see the gates ontop of our montain that we hunt on, we've all been really clever and stuck twine on the ones with latches, so we can open easily from horseback. That way the landowner gets his gate shut and we get an easy life - perfect.

But hey you just keep on leaving the gate open and giving horse riders a bad name - thanks!!
crazy.gif