Do YOU shut gates?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I think it is a total disgrace that anyone should leave a gate open and allow livestock to escape. Anyone could be injured by the escaping livestock.

Even if the gate is difficult to open or close then simply get off the horse and open and close the gate.

Having said that gates on bridleways should be capable of being opened and closed by a mounted rider. (In rights of way law they can otherwise be construed as being an obstruction which can result in action being taken against the land owner). If there are problem gates along a bridleway then simply contact the Access Department of your local County Council enclosing a map which shows the precise location of the gate in question. (Always write to them and send the letter by Royal Mail Signed For Service so that there is no doubt that they have received it).

If you did not see my post above the manufacturers of self closing gates take a look at (these are double hinged gates which open both ways).:
www.centrewire.com

Natch

Visit site
Smurphy, you sadden me you really do.

You CAN get off your horse to open/close the gate (incidently do you open it mounted?) but refuse to do so to make a point.

Can't you see it from the landowner's point of view? When they find the gate open, will they think "Oh dear its because some poor soul couldn't close it again, I'd better spend £600 on a new one."

Or are they more likely to think you are an arrogant twerp /someone who has no patience/common sense/manners, and be P'd off with you, and possibly put a combi lock on the gate so that only liverys who do shut the gate can use it?

When it gets shut or blocked will you think "fair enough, I made them make the choice to fix the gate or block the access, I'll just go back the way I came?"

Somehow I doubt it.

Grow some. Shut the gate when you have gone through it. Take a POLITE note wrapped in a plastic wallet and pin it to the gate next time. Go out of your way JUST THE FLIPPING ONCE to put the note through their letterbox.

qwertyuiop

Visit site
What about when the gate on the field containing the cows or sheep doesn't have a lock on in the 1st place? You could argue that if the farmer can only be bothered to use string to tie the gate shut in the 1st place, or does not maintain the lock/gate, he cannot be that concerned whether they stay in or not.

Ditto fencing. I know 1 farm near here where the sheep get out on to the road all the time because the numpty farmer cannot be bothered to fix a hole in the fence.

RunToEarth

Visit site
The quality of the gate was very good, it was hung this summer and with an opening that can be done easily mounted (as I have done a million times. ) It is also self closing to an extent, given the gradient of the yard. The gate must not only have not been shut properly, it must have been left wide open, otherwise it WOULD have swung closed, and the latch caught on. If that makes any sense..
Poorly maintained gates are not an excuse though, if you can open the damned thing, you should close it too, it's only fair.
There was no obvious livestock in sight. The cows are milked, and then moved from one side of the farm to the other, allowing them to stretch their legs in the winter months, and make the most of the sun, from the sunny side of the farm
smile.gif

The cows are released from the parlour, wander round and into the feeding passages at the other side.
apart from a very loud sign saying PLEASE SHUT GATE, it screams common sense to shut the gate that was shut, before it was opened by said person.
Just because the livestock cannot be seen doesn't mean they won't be kept in as a result of said gate being shut.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Leaving a gate owner is not only disrespectful and rude but downright dangerous to both animals and the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I know the question is serious, I do hope the cow recover and I do believe that closed gates should be left closed but I do think that sounded quite funny. I wonder when exactly leaving a gate owner becomes disrespectful and dangerous...

Gate_keeper.jpg

ClosetheGate.jpg

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I always shut gates and it drives me nuts the amount of plonkers on my yard who do not, I am not sure who does it, but it seems too many do it, as most times I arrive it is left wide open for any horse to escape!! Its just down right stupid and thoughtless! Grrr

scribble

Visit site
I always shut gates as we re farmers too and if we ride cross land then we shut gates. All our youngsters learn to stand and do gates nicely whether it is wet, windy or whatever.

It is no excuse think if it was your horse that got out becuase someone left a gate open to make a point.

ladyt25

Visit site
Have to say i generally will always shut gates unless it was a farm gate and had been deliberately tied back (by the farmer) if they were moving stock. Even if not going through farmland I will alwasy try shut a gate even if it was left open. Mainly because that may be the only thing to stop a loose horse should someone else on that bridleway be unlucky enough to fall off.

I do just wish those responsible for maintaining gates on bridleways would. There is one particular one near us - the path used to be an old farm driveway without any gates. They put a large gate on for vehicle access (that is padlocked) and a smaller one for horses/people etc but this one the hinges have broken (too heavy a gate on too weak hinges) it has now been tied with baler twine but it is very difficult to open on horse back - the old lift and pull/push and also if entering from off the road is not particularly safe. It's a shame cos it does mean some people do leave it open because it's such a pain to open or close!

algy666

www.bebo.com
I always shut them, luckily Dylan's an absolute star (and quite dinky so it's not difficult), but there's absolutely no excuse for leaving them open because "the horse wouldn't stand". How would these people feel if it was their garden and their pets (OK, not quite the same as 250 cows) that escaped?!

MochaDun

Visit site
As a kid brought up in rural Somerset with a vet for a father it was drummed into us to always shut gates, whether walking or anything else.

You cannot take the chance. We are allowed to ride round the edges of a local farmer's fields that one of our nearby bridleway links up with. They're only crop fields, no stock animals. The farmer very rarely leaves the gates open that go onto the lane even when cutting and baling hay, etc.

When we ride in there as a consideration to him as the landowner and the rest of us who ride there we all open and shut the gates going in and out of the fields since one rider once upon a time didn't and another rider who was up there an hour or so later who'd come in through a different gate got thrown off after their horse spooked and the horse bolted from one field to another and was out the open gate, down the lane, out on to the main road and back to the yard...thankfully neither rider or horse were injured but it's a hideously busy road so luck was on their side that day. And then there was the day when a bullock from a neighbouring field got through the fence into those same fields but thankfully he didn't get out onto the road as the gates were shut.

Stuff happens unexpectedly and if a gate looks like it should be closed for goodness sake shut it when you open it and go through, otherwise if it's deliberately tied back the farmer or landowner probably wants it open but those kind of things are usually obvious. I was knee deep in mud losing my boots earlier in the year having got off my horse opening and shutting a gate between 2 fields when there wasn't an animal in sight and I was filthy and fed up but like in the OPs post, for all i knew a whole herd was just about to emerge into them from being milked. I'd never forgive myself if my laziness caused a serious accident due to stock getting out.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the land isnt owned by a farmer!!! Its a lawn - didnt realise wildlife used gates!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

QR
Maybe its a lawn, but it is someone else's lawn. It is disrespectful to leave their gate open. If you have an issue with the gate then be an adult and go and discuss it with the owner.

Arabelle

Visit site
QR
I always leave gates as I find them as the hill I ride on mostly is grazed by sheep and if they are open it usually means the shepherd is up the tracks in his landy moving sheep around.

It is always a treat to find a gate open as many are traditional 'farm gates' ie held together with baler twine and wire. I just have to dismount for these and get my shoulder underneath to lift them. No biggie.

Horse riders that leave gates open make steam come out my ears as it gives us all a bad name. In Scotland we are fortunate enough to enjoy right of responsible access to most land - with the right comes the responsibility. It is not such a big deal to dismount for the ocassional gate.
A

Annette4

Visit site
I always shut gates....to get onto my nearest bridleways when I had my pony at home I had to open two gates which were only attached by twine and very difficult to open from the ground and impossible to open safely from horseback. So I got off, opened then closed them, then got back on said pony who would be bouncing and cantering on the spot....I got good at the mounted games swing on
wink.gif
There was livestock in there every so often and even if there wasn't I wouldn't dream of leaving them open to make a point....it's petulant!

The way I see it, it's a privilege not a right to ride on someone's land, bridleway or not, so I do my best to be respectful.

L

lilym

If it was her who left the gate open - what a lazy ignorant biatch. I find ramblers can be a law unto themselves, to the point of knocking down fences as well as leaving gates open.
When I am riding out I always shut the gate - we have to go through a large sheep farm with gates everywhere , one needs to be opened and shut from the gound as it's awkward from horseback, but it has to be closed. There is no excuse and if your horse dosen't do gates - teach it!!!

icemaiden113

Visit site
I think its terrible people are leaving gates open. or at least not telling the farmer. However I htink it is disgusting that you and any other farmer padlock gates - if they are a right of way they should stay that! So many people are trying to keep them open and you and others go around pulling up signs! All a bit hypocrytical if ya ask me

Lill

Visit site
I always shut gates, liveries don't however, so our horses were out on the lane about a month ago due to their laziness

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Its not hard to shut them is it?
mad.gif
mad.gif

Hope cow will recover ok
smile.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think its terrible people are leaving gates open. or at least not telling the farmer. However I htink it is disgusting that you and any other farmer padlock gates - if they are a right of way they should stay that! So many people are trying to keep them open and you and others go around pulling up signs! All a bit hypocrytical if ya ask me

[/ QUOTE ]
If gates are left open that is what happens. The first time someone leaves a gate open,and livestock get out it is annoying. The second time it is really annoying. The first time livestock is killed due to a gate being left open it is soul destroying (I never want to see my dad's face like that again) the third time it happens, then enough is enough. Three cows killed in the last 19years I have been here, because people seemingly have been things to do than close gates they have taken time to open.
If it was you, and it was your horses, would you wait for the fourth one to be knocked off the list?
It is a very small few who ruin it, but you can't plead ignorance on understanding WHY farmers do it.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If gates are left open that is what happens. The first time someone leaves a gate open,and livestock get out it is annoying. The second time it is really annoying. The first time livestock is killed due to a gate being left open it is soul destroying (I never want to see my dad's face like that again) the third time it happens, then enough is enough. Three cows killed in the last 19years I have been here, because people seemingly have been things to do than close gates they have taken time to open.
If it was you, and it was your horses, would you wait for the fourth one to be knocked off the list?
It is a very small few who ruin it, but you can't plead ignorance on understanding WHY farmers do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what sort of mindless idiot leaves gates open. I am a walker as well as a rider, as are many of my friends and we are always ultra careful to leave things as we find them.
However two wrongs don't make a right and locking gates or using other methods to block rights of way do not enhance the cause of landowners to the majority of people using the countryside. The majority of responsible people should not suffer because of the actions of a few stupid people.
In my experience where landowners make rights of way difficult to use more issues occur than the few which arise through a few people behaving like idiots.

hussar

Visit site
QR
My goodness, yes! Was brought up to leave gates as I find them, however awkward they are to open and close. But I know of several instances round here where riders have left gates open and stock has got mixed up, or wandered into crops. It gives us all a bad name.

icemaiden113

Visit site
I understanding your feeling but come from a farming home aswell - it has happened to us but NEVER EVER would the rights of way be blocked obstucted or otherwise! Nor would we padlock for our own animals sake!

spookypony

Visit site
When I got the Spooky Pony, he wouldn't even be LED through a gate, even the gate into his own field, unless it was pulled as wide open as it could be, and I had a schooling whip along. This made gates along paths especially inconvenient, as you can imagine, but I wouldn't have dreamt of leaving them open.

I persisted with his schooling, and praised him lots if he got near the gate. Now, he'll let me do most gates from on his back without a fuss. If the gate is strange, or really stiff, I still have to dismount, at least the first few times we go through it. Still, that's MY probem, not the landowner's!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
[ QUOTE ]
why would i be kidding!!! Why they hell should I get off, when the gate is impossible to close on horse back, my horse stand like a rock for gates. If a gate is on a bridleway it should be suitable for purpose!!!

The bridleway im talking about goes through a garden of a livery yard owner, no livestock.

[/ QUOTE ]

You my dear are a twat
shocked.gif