Do You Smack your horse?

PandorasJar

Visit site
I'll only hit her if she's behaving dangerously. Either to herself or me, for example if she was messing around while being led down a road, rearing up at me, prancing about on ice (she learnt that the hard way unfortunately by falling over!) it's never particularly hard or more than once and I very rarely do, but I'd much rather see her get a tap than have her jump out in front of a car.
Usually I'm just firm but fair, she was trying to kick me while I was brushing the mud of her legs yesterday and she never ever even lifts her legs usually so I just brushes imaginary mud until she got bored and stopped :p

Absolutely agree with this.

Pale Rider

Visit site
Never, ever.

If you get bucked off or kicked or bitten, you obviously did something wrong, and that's just too bad. The horse, on the other hand, is never, ever wrong.-Ray Hunt.

Whatever situation you get into, you are responsible, if you get into a dangerous situation, thats your responsibility too, belting your horse is a cop out.- PR:)

Polos Mum

Visit site
A smack (which I think is differnt to a hit) when a growel and then raised voice shout haven't worked. It's a reminder that I am there and that he has to listen to me more than any sort of punishment.
Given the force used when my boys play in the field I suspect I do little more than feel like a fly!

PandorasJar

Visit site
Palerider. Whether my fault or not. I'd rather make a point (and as often smack my own leg/side as them as more about a noise getting attention or make a short sharp growl at them) than let a dangerous situation esculate. Regardless of responsibility I'd do what made it safe for the horse and I in that moment.
It's not a cop out to me and never done in anger and can count on one hand the number of times I've done so. It is also not used as a training method.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes but never with a raised hand. Usually with a well timed elbow or upwards flick with the back of the hand or end of the rope. I have quite recently changed my views on smacking, from believing it was always wrong, to realising that in some situations it's the only way. But never in temper and never repeated. Just one sharp smack.

Enfys

Visit site
No, I don't smack horses.

I will take whatever action necessary to keep myself safe in an emergency situation, although in the rare event that something happens, it would normally be big body language before I ever make contact. I admire anyone who thinks about body language when a horse is coming at them with teeth bared and ears pinned! I certainly don't think about facing down a horsethat wants to flatten me in a politically correct manner. If that happens, and it has, then I protect myself with whatever I have to hand, be that a feed bowl or a piece of 2 by 4. I just want to get out in one piece, I don't care how I do it.

I wouldn't hit a horse as a deliberate punishment - which is my interpretation of a "smack" :) I would, have and will if the situation warrants it, it very rarely does. I had a cracking LR pony that was a real character who took a chunk out of my leg, so I 'smacked' him, for the rest of his time with us - years - he was an angel, children's ponies especially cannot be permitted to take liberties when it is clear that that is exactly what they are doing.

There are situations where extreme action is required. Normally an "Oi you sod" does the job. I don't whip or beat my horses, I don't even own a whip!

Last edited:

amandap

Visit site
If a horse was running at me with bared teeth, I'd leg it. :eek: Then have a good think what on earth provoked it, make a plan and probably get professional help if I couldn't find a safe way to get nearish the horse to start interacting with it without having a chunk taken out of me.

If any of my horses ran at me with bared teeth I think I would die of shock.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have smacked horses at work when they have bitten or kicked at me. I have also smacked one of my own- he came back off loan a Bolshy strong rude sh** so yes he gets a smack. The other two I'd never smack even if they gave me reason as they are sensitive little souls!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Every one is different, this thread clearly shows that! I will slap with my hand, like today while he was being clipped ( not while the clippers were on him) when he slammed his nose in to my chest because we asked him to stop eating for a minute. Making your point is one thing, beating is another.

whoatherejig

Visit site
I used to ride a dealers horses, and have defended myself in dangerous situations, (we had one horse that you had to take a pitchfork in to the field or he would attack!), and I would rather give a tap behind my heels than keep niggling a lazy or nappy pony.
Having said that, I would never hit the naughty rhino, as he has been abused at some point, and we couldn't even touch his head at first. He still flinches at sudden movements. He's not scared of a whip when I ride, and I carry one to help get rid of flies in the summer, and to point out in the road if cars come too close.

Alyth

Visit site
Personally I like to see what happens before the behaviour that warrants a smack happens....and do less sooner. Most humans miss the lead up to the kick, bite or attack....but then I have never had to deal with a rogue......

horseluver4eva

Visit site
Yes, not nastily just a tap over the nose. However i only do this when she is being naughty, for example when she is in the stable and im tacking her up or picking her hoofs out and she tries to bite me ill give her a tap, shes a fast learner and without discipline she would be a nightmare! but now if i just look at her and raise my hand she stop because she knows she is doing wrong. But i would never hurt her im firm but fair.

Heilo

Visit site
Palerider. Whether my fault or not. I'd rather make a point (and as often smack my own leg/side as them as more about a noise getting attention or make a short sharp growl at them) than let a dangerous situation esculate. Regardless of responsibility I'd do what made it safe for the horse and I in that moment.
It's not a cop out to me and never done in anger and can count on one hand the number of times I've done so. It is also not used as a training method.

I have to agree. I will smack any horse when needed. Firm but fair as they say

Spring Feather

Visit site
I very rarely smack my horses, maybe one or two horses get a thump a year. I do insist on good manners though and I've found my horses are quick to learn them. I deal with many youngsters from birth and I have to say they're all great! It's like they're born knowing to behave :) It's rare for any of my older horses to get bolshy but if they do then yes I'll give them a thump and then move on.

Kikke

Visit site
I am almost sorry to say but yes I will. Mine will walk all over anybody that gives her an inch. So she needs putting in place. Having said that, when she is good she will be rewarded very well!! It's a difficult one because our gelding is a saint in general and has been beaten when he was a baby so I would not dare to smack him. But my mare without any doubt, when necessary. She is such a cheeky little b****r nd I must admit she goes much better with praise but O do not accept any nonsense.

Rose Folly

Visit site
No, don't have to , as I've a very ?? l don't know what to call it, voice. (E.g. when I used to go to dog training the instructor said that when I called 'Come' every dog in the class tried to come to me). It's nothing clever as I certainly didn't learn it - it's just there. So I think when I sound 'cosy' to horse (or dog) I sound VERY cosy. When I sound cross I sound VERY cross. I only rebuke my horse / my liveries by voice. They always stop what they're doing at once. So I've never had to hit a horse - the voice hits them for me! Sounds daft when it's typed out.............ps It works on people too, but not, for some strange reason, on my OH!

Daisy2

Visit site
No smacking.. if they do anything out of the blue that is bad manners, I usually back them up really vigorously, they really don't like it and get the message

diamonddogs

Visit site
Rarely, but yes I do.

Sham very very occasionally gets a bit nippy, so if she comes at me she'll get a slap on the nose and a sharp "No bites!" as long as I'm quick - a second too slow and she won't make the connection. Which is very important as she was very headshy when I first got her from the abuse she received from the person her previous owner got her from.

She's also very whip-shy, so I've never hit her with a whip even when riding, though I've worked hard to desensitise her. She accepts the whip as a pointing device, that's all. I can't even use the lead rope on her if she gets above herself because she'd be a bigger danger if she panicked.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I don't need to as Freddie is beaten daily by the 2 mares he lives with (senior mares) he's not even allowed to walk up to the gate or be bargy, they reprimand any bad behaviour what so ever, he's got to stand still and patiently when it's in time... if he does anything rude to me, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a quick growl and a smack with my hand, hes 15.2 and 500kg and 2.5, I won't allow him to push me even playfully!

Pale Rider

Visit site
This 'firm but fair' business is a load of old tosh.

Reading some of these posts, the horse is giving some feed back about something that is concerning him and gets a firm but fair crack for it. Gawd help us.

Dizzy socks

Visit site

Reading some of these posts, the horse is giving some feed back about something that is concerning him and gets a firm but fair crack for it. Gawd help us.

So... If a horse was spoilt as a youngster, and then tries to bite you, you wouldn't reprimand it?

callmelucky

Visit site
yes. i smack my horses if they are naughty. at the end of the day, i dont want to get hurt by a half ton horse, so if shes bad she gets a slap. i got her as an unhandled 3yo, she got a few smacks when i first got her but shes so good now i hardly ever need to give her a smack. i was strict with my yearling from the moment she was born, she got off with nothing. as a result i now have a yearling who is as good as gold and i get endless comments on how well behaved she is. my mare is also very well behaved. i nipped things in the bud from day one of having them both so as a result i have two very well behaved horses who hardly ever need told off.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Pale rider. I have used a whip once on a horse ever. I carried as was on roads and was a share horse who had a whip out on roads. I used it when we were rounding a corner and she decided to freeze. Rather than see what was concerning her and wait for a car to come round the corner I used the whip to get her onto the straight verge before turning off, so we would be seen while she took in the farm to the right which had caught her attention. While I wouldn't have done this on a hack, in that moment she put herself and me in a dangerous situation. I still maintain that there is a time and a place.
The farm was on the bridleway we were turning down so I then let her have a nosy. My fault or not, it would have been far more than a tap she got if a car had come round that corner.

As I say personally I wouldn't use it as a training method but I do believe there are situations which warrant it for the horses and my safety

Pale Rider

Visit site
Pale rider. I have used a whip once on a horse ever. I carried as was on roads and was a share horse who had a whip out on roads. I used it when we were rounding a corner and she decided to freeze. Rather than see what was concerning her and wait for a car to come round the corner I used the whip to get her onto the straight verge before turning off, so we would be seen while she took in the farm to the right which had caught her attention. While I wouldn't have done this on a hack, in that moment she put herself and me in a dangerous situation. I still maintain that there is a time and a place.
The farm was on the bridleway we were turning down so I then let her have a nosy. My fault or not, it would have been far more than a tap she got if a car had come round that corner.

As I say personally I wouldn't use it as a training method but I do believe there are situations which warrant it for the horses and my safety

Yes, lots of people say that.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Pale Rider do you practise the sanctimonious tone to your posts or does it come naturally?

Yes, firm but fair is how I deal with my horses. They are large animals that if they don't respect you can & will hurt you. You can harp on about the wonderful bond you have with your horse...bitless riding it with the power of your mind & only ever communicating with it by beautiful chanting. Lovely. Not for me thanks.

I do NOT beat my horses. If they take their lead from me - as they would in the herd then their life is lovely with cuddles, kisses & copious praise.
If they attempt to challenge my leadership then they are reprimanded in some way. Minor offences this can be a sharp 'No!' Or a change in my body language. However things that could endanger myself or my children will be given something more severe.
In the instance of the horse I have. He came to me having been totally spoilt by a novice owner. He was a danger. He was totally dominant, if there was something he didn't want to do which usually was be caught or lead in he put me in danger.
You know what? You can harp on & on about what you would've done BUT it was a situation where he needed to quickly learn that this was not acceptable. Just as in a herd a young horse would be put back in place with a swift boot from a hoof he got a whallop from me. He learnt. His behaviour has improved. This is now a happy horse who can be lead around by a 7 year old child :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site

Totally disagree with this /\

My motto is pretty much to be firm but fair when needed. I will give a smack if needed, end of, I do not do it without a good cause. I do not see the firm but fair rule as a load of old tosh either, but you have your opinion and I have mine...