Do you stay in touch with your horses old owner?

Pipkin

Visit site
I sold beau two weeks ago, I didnt want to (he`s hasnt got a nice tempremeant and didnt want to pass his issues onto someone else) Anyway I had taken down his adverts and had a phonecall few days later asking for a viewing, guy sounded decent enough, he`s a farrier, Does Mounted Games (professionally) and wanted a youngster to bring on using NH and then produce for Jumping...so he sounded perfect. Came for viewing and bought the horse there and then on the condition he keeps in touch and if he ever sells him on we get first refusal.
Have since text him asking him how he has settled in...no reply...added on FB , request ignored.
So am totally and utterly hacked off! Yes he could be busy but he is accepting other requests on FB (i`m a FB stalker LOL) and when he was here he was always texting away on his phone, I dont want a full report just a quick "yes he`s fine" will do.
The only reason i sold him was because I didnt have time to bring him on and it wasnt fair him kept in a field on his own.

So do any of you keep in touch with your horses old owners or am I just being a twit?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i do with one of them through FB and i send pics to the babies breeder occasionally,
Sadly your 'conditions'(contact and first refusal) mean nothing in reality, once the money has passed hands then you have given up any rights to your horse

skint1

Visit site
We're selling my daughter's horse and she is looking for another. She came from a dealer who got her from a racing yard so no one asked us to keep in touch about her.

If someone else did buy her we would like it if they kept in touch so we knew she was ok, if it didn't work out and they were going to sell her we'd probably want to know, same if they did really well with her and she was going up in the world that would be especially great to see.

Equally, if we bought a horse from a person who wanted to stay in touch we definitely would but of course once you've sold the horse you have no control over this type of thing.

mon

Visit site
Yes Molly which I have had 5 years owner gets a Xmas card and ruby I have had nearly 2 years keep in touch via FB, but then I have nothing to hide and look after them well.

Topaz Tiger

Visit site
Hi I have had my current horse 3 1/2 years and still keep in touch with her owner, mainly by text, but it was a very emotional decision for her, plus we get on well, so I think that creates more of a bond.

Pipkin

Visit site
I do yes....and with the people I sold daughters first pony to. Not frequently though. My arabs breeder also tracked me down and came to see him- which was nice.

Perhaps he's sold you a line.....:(

True but i know for a fact he`s a farrier (he lives in same town as I used to) he rides for the Wales MGA too (looked at this too).... personally i think he`s sold him on, i dont even want or expect constant updates just one little yes he`s doing good.
May have to take a drive passed his supposed field :D

LaurenBay

Visit site
No, I only got Ruby 5 weeks ago aswell.

They asked to keep in touch and I was more then happy to. I sent them a text the day after she came home to say she had settled nicely and no problems and they said good.

Then didn't hear from them, I text them 3 weeks in to say how pleased I am with Ruby, shes being so good etc, and I had another reply of "good"

So I can't really be botherd to keep texting them, If they contact me I will be more then happy to send photos and tell them what I've been up too, but not really sure they are too botherd tbh. She was only a short term project to them though I suppose.

Damnation

Visit site
Bought my horse 8 months ago and I still email the old owner every so often with pics and an update, we still send texts too.

OP - If I were you I would take your stalking to a new level ;) have a drive past :D

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
yes i do, when i bought pirate, it was a very sad and emotional time due to personal problems for his old owner, she has been down to see him, and we talk on the phone regularly.

hudsonw

Visit site
Yes...
I used to write and send photos of my big boy when I first bought him to his previous owners but after a while I stopped getting responses from them, so I stopped writing and haven't heard or sent anything to them in 5 years.
When I sold my youngster I told her I wanted to stay in touch and have first refusal if she ever wanted to sell him and in fairness I get texts, emails, photos and I even went to visit him last weekend!!
It puts your mind at rest knowing they have gone to a good home, especially when the sale was a reluctant one.

moodymare1987

Visit site
Yeah I speak to the person who has my old pony. She is on my facebook so sends me a message now and again.
And the other horse I had they send me texts now and again. Which I love, I did just leave them to it but they text me saying how brill he is. I dont like to mither I figured if they wanted to let me know how he was then they would which they do :)

I did say when I sold him it would be lovely to hear from you to see how hes doing but not like a crazy person wanting updates every day or so.

roanwitch

Visit site
Only had Jake 8 weeks, but text regulary to the lady I bought him from, she is brilliant and gives me loads of tips if I am having any "issues". She knew him inside out and has been really honest about him so its really nice to know I can ring her when he is having one of his moments for advice.

tinap

Visit site
In 2008 I sold one & bought one. I have very regular contact with the previous owners of the one I bought on fb as they love to know how he's going. The ones who bought mine are a bit harder to get replies out of! I know they are about ready to sell her on & I've asked that they pass on my details when they do sell her as she was a project pony for me & my daughter & I really want to carry on seeing what she's doing. It's like trying to get blood out of a stone though just trying to find out how she's is! I only email about every 6 months so don't think I'm harassing them!

Spyda

Visit site
When I sold my homebred mare a couple of years ago I made sure all my up to date details were in her passport. I was shocked to get a phone call last month from her 'new' owners but it was great to know she was okay and to be able to tell them her history and about any quirks. They've send photos and videos of her and it's been wonderful see how she's doing. :)

Ladybird

Visit site
I had my mare for 3 years and we sent the odd text every few months just to update, however it was a good thing that we did because when I decided to get rid of her she had her back!

I bought my pony from some people that were never interested in him (to the point of neglect) so even though they live about 500 yards from the yard I've never/will never keep in touch.

I bought my Section D from a friend of a friend and she's a facebook friend, so always 'likes' his pictures etc and odd comments.

Paddydou

Visit site
Brought the old boy many many moons ago and am still in contact with his old owners. If I change fields etc I let them know where they are in case they want to say hello when passing. Spoke to them a week or so ago as I may have to make "that" decision this winter and they were lovely. They said that not once did they ever regret selling him to me as he has had a wonderful life with me and they also said it was the best thing they ever did for him. If I do have to do the deed they will be forewarded so they can come and say good bye first.

A's owners said they wanted to stay in touch and so I emailed some updates every couple of months at first - not once did they respond so I didn't let them know when I had to put him down.

Fatties owner was only too glad to be shot of him so I don't contact them and Little mans old owner was a dealer who brought from a sale. I did contact his breeder who was an elderly lady who was very ill and not going to last much longer. Her Grand daughter had taken my letter in to read to her and send a reply to say how happy her Grandmother was that one of her ponies was so well loved. The others old owners had passed on or were in contact while the horse was alive. I don't go mad but every 6 months to a year just so they know all is well.

Javabb94

Visit site
I do :D

we regularly email each other,

she misses J terribly :(

I always update her one what we are up to and any problems as I have only had him 8 months and havent totally learnt all his tricks yet haha

She has been really helpful

madeleine1

Visit site
i found and sent a few emails to my horses old owner.

my mare was breed and stayed somewhere untill she was 5 and then moved to a family eventing yard and then on to a para dressage rda and riding school home. yes all that in one place and she worked for them all bless her. then as she wasnt quite calm enought to keep going for them she moved in with me at 14. i still help out with the rda para and riding school so i definalty keep in touch with them. the family eventing yard where the ones i found and after sending a few emails which they seemed to appreicate i dont no wheather to send more if they are interested or not. and i wish i could find her first home but havnt been lucky so far. im not sure id want to hear about an old horse or not as i think id miss them to much.

kickonchaps

Visit site
Yes!! I email my horse's old owner/breeder on a pretty regular basis, and did the same with the horse before - even though the previous horse's owner hadn't got on terribly well with her, she was always really pleased to hear from me and sent a lovely message when the mare had to pts due to injury.

My current boy was a proper handful to get going and his old owner was great, anytime I hit a new problem she'd tell me if they'd had it before and what worked, and she also contacted his old rider a couple of times to get his suggestions. I keep her updated with our competition results, good and bad (though if we've had a bad day I try not to mention it until something positive has since happened!) and I still get lovely long emails back usually within a day! She'd bred him, and sold him aged 12, so she's just as pleased as I am that despite him being a little ***** sometimes he's found his forever home, and he and I are best buddies :)

OneInAMillion

Visit site
We send our horse's old owner a christmas card with a big update and some pictures.
Loan horse-keep in contact with his owner regularly on fb

Old pony just put down he was on permanent loan to us from a close friend who bought him 16 years ago and she also had updates once or twice a year :)

Swift08

Visit site
Pharaoh's owner/breeder (he was bought from the sales then sold to us) was illiterate so no chance of getting in touch (we were told this by a third party), we wondered for ages why he never replied to the letter we sent...
Misty's old owner is actually a friend anyway and he was given to us so they regularly see photo's and stuff via facebook etc.
The people who bought Chance ring weekly to let us know what they are up to which is lovely :) I expect the regular contact will die down eventually, but I do have their full names and I know they have facebook and they have my name and know I am on facebook so should we need to contact eachother if phone contact goes then we can. We were honest and open about what he can be like (he was just sharp and green to ride for a pony of his age) so it is nice to hear that he is coming on well with them and they don't lie and pretend he is perfect all the time which I find really reassuring.
:)

shorexhorse

Visit site
I didnt, and dont keep in contact with the people I sold my pony to, mainly because I wasn't entirely convinced about selling her and it was very emotional letting her go, due to financial changes. Also, the people she went to were dealer types, so I'd prefer not to know. That might be selfish, but if I kept in contact it would make me sad and wish I still had her, but if something bad happened I'd be powerless and that would also upset me.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Same thing happened to me last year. Advertised the mare (much loved homebred Shire) had lots of calls, rejected most of them. Then a call from a nice knowledgeable girl who wanted a safe horse. Spoke a few times, she seemed perfect. Came, saw, tried, promised to keep in touch, paid, loaded, gone.

I rang her a week later, she said she was fine.

Week later, Ruby in H&H for twice what I sold her for :eek: she wouldn't answer my calls or texts. A friend rang (in response to ad) and was told she'd bought the mare a year ago from an elderly couple in devon :mad:

I worry every day about what has happened to this lovely mare, but sadly once they've gone , you have no control over what happens to them.

I do get regular texts and pics from a lovely girl who bought another of our youngsters 2 years ago, and the odd call from a couple of other buyers from years ago.

LaurenM

Visit site
I keep in touch with one of my horse's previous owner - not the one I bought him from but the owner before that (he's been passed from pillar to post). I don't keep in contact with the woman I bought him from as she was dishonest with me so don't feel that I should give her any of my time. I've had him over 16 months so have owned him a lot longer than the last 2 owners so know him better than them anyway :)

There is no one to contact for my mare - Ive tried searching for them but to no avail.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
I stay in touch via text and FB with numerous horses and ponies we have sold but I never pester them or stick my nose in (not saying that's what you're doing BTW!) I just reply when they update me how they have done at shows etc.

Maybe the chap just wants a few weeks to allow the horse to settle in first before he updates you ??