do you still feed in summer?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
yes, but they only get timothy chop and high fibre nuggets if I am feeling generous :) one feed a day with some salt and some pro hoof. I strongly believe in feeding some sort of hay daily year round. Also lucky enough to have fields that have not been fertilised in many years. A couple are muzzled on and off.

Last edited:

mynutmeg

Visit site
I have a rather obese cob (who is actually rather fit underneath it but just can't shift the podge grrr) she gets a bucket with a scoop of TopChop lite so no molasses or sugar etc and blue chip's lami light balancer as well as salt. Makes sure she gets her vitamins and minerals as she's on fairly restricted grazing in the summer.

Spreebok

Visit site
Yeah, cob gets a small scoop of Healthy Hooves Molassess Free most days (but she's out 24/7 so not every day), and this is mostly just to carry her supplement powders in and re-enforce that coming in is a good thing!

rara007

Visit site
Only the ones that come in, and only a scoop of loCal and plain chaff. Our fields have v little grass deliberaty (yard of ponies, cobs and a cobX!) so the ones in proper work I feel happier supplementing.

horsebenny

Visit site
Yes. I lost a lovely mare to grass sickness last year so my new boy comes in to give him time off the grass and has haylage, a small feed with supplements and probiotics to be on the safe side.

Horselover2345

New User
Visit site
I like to keep feeding throughout the year. Even a small Bran mash or soaked couple of handfulls of allround. I find that it keeps their coats shiny and they dont get too much of a shock when it comes to winter and they are on larger feeds again. It also makes brining my horses in easier as they know there is something small to look forwards too even though the grass is so fresh out.