Do you talk on your phone whilst out hacking?

TallyHo123

Visit site
I do but I don't have full blown conversations with people. If someone rings and it is a quick question I answer or tell them I will ring them back.
I don't answer on roads though and I didn't on my youngster.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am very impressed by the lady who can roll a fag while riding :D Does she roll them one handed? I have to roll mine before I set off. (much more ladylike :p ) Will occaisionally answer the phone, expecially if I am supposed to be meeting friends, as either them or I will be late! :D Will only be a very quick call though.

Kat

Visit site
Not normally as I can't operate the touch screen in gloves so it involves taking off a glove too. Plus I can't get on from the ground so if I dropped my phone it would be a problem.

I have answered it in the past though, read texts and replied to texts. Only on the very quiet lanes though. Normally only bother if I am expecting something, like it might be the farrier saying I can be there in half an hour, or if it might be the husband checking I'm not in a ditch. Was glad to receive a warning by text whilst I was out of a fly past by the battle of britain memorial flight a few weeks back, I was too far away to get back before it came past but I was at least able to be aware.

JR2011

Visit site
I always take my phone out with me when hacking as most of the time i go out alone.
I wouldn't answer my phone whilst riding along a busy road, i would on a quieter country lane with hardly and traffic, as long as no cars are coming. I always keep the conversation brief and tell the caller i am riding. To be fair it is not very often my phone rings whilst i am out hacking but i always take it with me just incase i need to make a call in an emergency etc.

Tangled

Visit site
Only when I feel safe to do so - never on a busy road - they can wait!

I did however use my phone to film the weirdo pony picking up a massive branch that was in the middle of the track and carried it with him (in his mouth obv!) and thrashing it around having the time of his life! haha! He carried it for a about a mile :p :eek: ...

jennywren07

Visit site
i'll answer if its my mother in law as she has my daughter when i ride so only calls if theres a problem/ needs to know something for Ellie.

Anyone else can wait. If someone called me repeatedly i'd prob answer just incase it was something serious

starryeyed

Visit site
Depends on the place & on the horse!
Generally I won't answer a phone on a ride unless it's really important - if my boss is trying to contact me or if someone has repeatedly called me and I get the feeling it's urgent - but even then I will wait until I get to a bridleway or field, would never answer my phone on the roads. I don't respond to texts out riding either.
Saying this, I'd answer the phone (off road!) to someone if I was riding the horse who'd let me do so & who I could trust not to play up once I took one hand off my reins, but i still wouldn't have a full blown conversation.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I would and have spoken on the phone whilst hacking. However It does depend where I am. If I am on a bridle path or fields I will quite happily answer my phone. If I am on a quietier road I will answer then tell them I will ring straight back. However If I was on a busy road I wouldn't answer it, my attention should be on my Horse and the traffic only.

Pretty much same for me as above.
I will answer briefly and say I am riding but will not generally continue to chat away as anything could spook a horse unexpectedly, even the quietest ones.
I would not answer if out on a road, I would pull in somewhere to answer if I felt I needed to, or call back if I missed them.
However, I would happily text out on a ride but not out on the roads, quiet or otherwise, just incase some ejit came up quickly with out any regard for mine or my horses safety

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am very impressed by the lady who can roll a fag while riding :D Does she roll them one handed? I have to roll mine before I set off. (much more ladylike :p ) Will occaisionally answer the phone, expecially if I am supposed to be meeting friends, as either them or I will be late! :D Will only be a very quick call though.

Lol :D I can roll whilst riding too, though that was on my lovely late mare who was generally a dream to ride. Its a bit tough when windy though, and they are not the best, but they work :D

Foaling Around

Visit site
Not on a main road, but on quiet lanes/tracks all the time! And if on a lane, I'll always take phone away from ear and say thank you if cars pass.

Agree it depends on horse though. One recently shat itself and dropped away from me when I just tried to get it out my pocket (only in one of the fields, not on a road!) - decided that text could possibly go without answering for another half an hour! But have just got back from a fast hack on well behaved horsey where I spent the last half hour walking off on long rein down a track replying to all my emails, phone calls and texts that I kept meaning to, phone in one hand, gloves reins and whip in the other :p

In fact I normally phone my mum from horse - I think she thinks I'm always riding - I wish :cool:

HihoGinger

Visit site
I use my discretion.
I don't do it on roads, because I agree that the less we can do to potentially wind up drivers, the better.
If I get a call or text when off road, if he's behaving I'll answer it, but only for a few moments. I couldn't be doing with a long chat while I'm hacking.
I never make calls or start a text conversation though.

J&C

Visit site
I would and have but only on certain horses. Would not do it on my current boy as he is far too green and scary at the moment.
And would not answer on the roads, only on bridlepaths/fields.

1Lucie

Visit site
No!!! I want to enjoy my riding not gassing on the phone! PLus on a road i feel its dangerous. I only answer if i am waiting for an important phonecall and i'm not on a road.

darkhorse123

Visit site
Absoluteley no way!!!
My horsey time is just that - horsey time!
When i turn in the yard my phone is put on silent - its in my pocket for emergencies but that is it
I remember the days before mobiles, before being "on call 24/7" - no way do i use my phone at the yard - thats my time :mad:

Shandys_mum

Visit site
I have texted and talked whilst out riding - but it was on a bombproof horse and on roads that were quiet and you could see if a car was coming over the low hedges.

I now have a touch screen phone and a new to me horse in a new area so wouldn't currently phone or text and generally have my phone on silent so I don't get tempted.

My new problem is where do I put the phone so if I need it I can get it???

the watcher

Visit site
I carry a phone with me for emergencies so usually don't answer calls and certainly wouldn't make calls or texts when riding.

But then I am old enough to remember a time when even many houses didn't have phones so don't have quite the same dependency on it as some might have.

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
I quite simply can't answer my phone, my mare is so light on her feet and well frankly jumpy while out hacking. I need to be watching and paying attention to what dance move she is going to pull next.

I would be worried that I am going to drop my phone and then I would be buggered if something did happen while I was out. :-(

I have in the past answered my phone and had conversations while riding my old boy (RIP Alchemi) but he was so steady and relaxed I knew he wasn't going anywhere. I wouldn't be on the phone while on a road but out down quiet lanes/fields I would pull up to a walk and have a natter. Never in canter some of you must be brilliant at multitasking...