Do you talk to your horse??

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
Am i the only person in the world that talks to their horse when i am going around a sj course.

Everybody else seems so quiet...and then there is me saying 'good girl' 'never mind' 'well done' 'no' 'don't do that' 'clever girl' and the list goes on....
grin.gif

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
not showjumping (except im one of those annoying people who say "HUP!" over every fence
blush.gif
) but on xcountry i do, alot- after nearly every fence last week i found myself saying "GOOD GIRLY!!" really loudly
blush.gif

skye123

Visit site
yep "good girl", "go on get over it" "clever girl"
blush.gif

never realised how loud i was until my dad recoreded me jumping and all you could hear was me talking to her all round the course
blush.gif
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Marbs

community.webshots.com
I am nearly always talking!Whether it be hacking, schooling, sj or xc. "Good boy/girl", "what a star" and "get on" feature most. If you talk then you have to breathe. Helps me calm and focus. Horses I've had seem to like it too. I accidentally swear sometimes (like if horse has put in an unbelievably huge jump) which can be embarassing.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I do SJ and XC. Fairly quietly but during much of my training I use my voice to reprimand and praise so it is just an extension of that.

vickers22

Visit site
yup i talk doing everything!I talk the course through to him in xc!'right, now next is the corner, its nothing to worry about so lets just pop over it' i think im a little crazy!

Peanot

Visit site
he he. I do when I am riding, hacking, schooling, jumping, everything. When I am going round a sj course, I do say `good girlie`, and other things, and sometimes when she puts in a long one or a big one, I swear too like someone said above. I can`t help it and the worse thing is that it begins with `F`
blush.gif

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
LOL That reminds me of a very good Instructor telling me years ago to stop waffling & that I might as well be saying Fish & Chips!!! I do believe in short woahs or a quick command but I think it is more to do with the tone of voice rather than the content of the 'sentence'. I am also very embarrased to admit to what my son said at 14 with a particularly naughty pony at the English Home Pony International after I insisted that the tone of voice might help, & it doesnt matter what he actually said to the pony. In his sweetest possible voice he sang "what a naughty little T**t you are" just as he rode past me. I nearly choked.
blush.gif

Safina

Visit site
Yes in fact I am a running joke with most of my friends:

"OOo first now now....its got a filler but its blue and you like blue, opps yep good lad....steady steady STEADY.....now to the planks, the wobble and they have funny cups so pick your feet up....oh good boy, round the corner now....oh look there is Auntie Alice, say hello to Auntie Alice and focus.....etc etc"

LouHardwick

Visit site
whatever I am doing I always chat to my girlie- I think its becuase she is only recently backed and find the talking to her gets a very positive reaction to new things.On the ground my horse is practically my unofficial psychiartrist (sp) she hears all my moans about OH and work etc.Poor thing its a wonder she doenst run away when my car turns up on the yard!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

sarah23

Visit site
I talk to my horse all the time the only problem is i have to remember to shut up for my dressage tests or at least only talk to them when my back is to the judge (forgot once and started talking right in front of the judge not good)

BBs

Visit site
I talk all the time
smirk.gif

Even if the horse im riding is being a particular tit i still woffle in a calm manner to my horse, but probably what im saying isnt that pleasant lol

I get funny looks, and Rich commented to me over Xmas *god you dont even shut up when youre riding a horse* Cheeky devil
mad.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I always talk my horse round XC and am not afraid to yell "good boy" or "you're so clever!" at the top of my lungs if he's got me out of trouble or something!

I guess I do talk a bit round SJ as well, Ive never really thought about it. It depends, I talk more if Im worried or feel pressured to get a clear! Usually just the usual "steady" / "woah" or again "good boy" if I cock something up and he sorts it for me!
I think one part of why I do it is so spectators know that I know I did it wrong and the horse helped!! I just hate the thought of them shaking their head thinking I didnt realise my horse helped me!

If Im riding my youngster XC then I chat the whole way round and even talk to him as if he's a child. So stupid! But I dont really care since when you leave the start box, its just you and him anyway.

spooks

Visit site
ash talks to otto when she remembers! he goes alot better for her at showjumping if she speaks to him the whole way round. 1st class shes normally quite...gets a pole so in the next class she talks and most of the time goes clear.