Do you think a dog could be happy if...

BBP

Visit site
...it only ever had access to a couple of acres of stock fenced land and never went for walks?

I’m only partly jesting, but I’m getting so sick of worrying about other people’s dogs whilst out walking. I’m sure it’s probably a signal my dog is giving out, maybe it’s the blue eye, or the collie stare, maybe it’s me, but half the worlds dogs seem to have a pop at him if they get the chance. It’s starting to affect me out walking, as I don’t trust the sight of any dog. Today it was a loose farm dog that came stalking towards us, hackles up. I turned and went back the way I came, but even that’s hard as my dog flattens himself to the ground when he sees other dogs (or cars). It’s really starting to diminish my enjoyment out walking. He’s always been such a lovely dog with others but it’s affecting him too, understandably.

I’m seriously thinking of forking out a butt load of money to stock fence my fields so he can run out there when the horses are in. Doesn’t seem a very varied life though for maintaining a balanced dog.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Yes.

This is a bit of a crazy question to me! My two terriers rarely get lead walked off the farm and quite frankly i wholeheartedly believe they get better exercise and fulfilment from their time out in the fields than they would on a lead walk. Its so enriching - sniffs, nibbles (poo its always poo) and their own "territory". Its a no brainer for me.

meleeka

Visit site
I wouldn’t even attempt to walk my rescue at the moment. She’s happy as anything in our private fields but not ready for the big wide world yet. She’s very good with visiting dogs so I’d like to keep it like that until she’s more confident.

Moobli

Visit site
If walks are stressful for you both (and it sounds a nightmare) then I would go so far as to say it is beneficial to find a way of exercising him that reduces that anxiety for both of you. If it means using an enclosed safe field then do it. There is so much more than just walking you can do to ensure he is getting the physical and mental stimulation he needs.

BBP

Visit site
If walks are stressful for him and you, then I do not see why not, if he is fulfilled in other ways.

Who says a daily lead walk in a busy, stressful, place where other people's dogs are out of control, is 'balanced'? Surely it is just having his fears reinforced, every single day.

Think that’s why I’m frustrated, is that I’m purposefully avoiding country park type walks and am going for long walks in quiet rural areas and I’m still getting ambushed! Last week it was some labradoodle I’ve never met, luckily on the lead but the second it saw us it was snarling and lunging towards us. I’m thinking if I can stock fence the paddocks (luckily some fence lines are already done) and the arena too then he could do agility training in the arena in the winter as well as some training and free time in the field. Not a cheap idea, but might be worth it for peace of mind. I guess going for walks is what I think I *should* do.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Nope. My dog was nearly killed a few years ago when an off lead dog tried to rip her apart as she pootled round the woods on her lead. Now she only goes to places where dogs have to be on leads eg national trust, private land (on a lead) or round the streets. As you say, it’s not fun being scared that your dog is going to get hurt, or having your dog visibly frightened. She goes for play dates with friendly dogs but honestly is much more interested in people than other dogs anyway. I don’t see any problem with keeping your walks to safe places, and providing alternative stimulation training instead.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The times I get to walk on our own land, sadly not every day due to distance/horses/livestock, it's like releasing a breath you didn't know you were holding. Nobody chirruping 'don't worry, he's friendly' as their dog stalks yours with a death stare and a rigid tail. I would say it's absolutely worth a bit of investment on the fencing if it gives you anxiety-free options.

deb_l222

Visit site
Yes, I think your dog would be perfectly happy with that set up.

I have a large back garden, not massive but large enough. Willow will find new smells every single day to sniff out so two acres would have plenty to keep your dog occupied.

I don't go to many communal areas with my dogs at all now if I can help it. I did however have a stroll through the park a couple of nights ago, only to be joined by a massive mastiff crossbreed of a dog. No word of a lie, it was HUGE!! He wasn't aggressive, just a bloody nuisance, jumping and sniffing at my three. Owner had no control whatsoever. I had several words to say to him and several more when he still didn't put it on a lead and it came back for a second time 10 minutes later.

Unfortunately this happens more often these days and it totally puts me off walking. If I had space and land, I wouldn't walk where people are at all.

BBP

Visit site
Sounds like it’s time for me to save my pennies! It’s probably too wet to stock fence now without trashing my fields, so I have til spring to save up. Horse safe fencing isn’t cheap but hopefully worth it for hassle free dog exercising.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My two collies only get lead walked if for some reason I can't go up to my sheep otherwise they just run loose in the field while I work, poo pick whatever. One is an idiot with the horses and will run circles round them so I have to keep an eye on her but the other has more sense. If I need them to work the sheep they are in heaven. When the world was normal we were at agility training one evening a week and shows about once a month. They are coping without that better than I am. I don't have a problem with lead walking them but don't see the need if they get a run in the field.

Reactions: BBP

Annette4

Visit site
Yes I think they can entirely be. If I ever have the money to have our own land ours will not go for walks, as it stands at the moment they don't often go as its too stressful for all of us.

Reactions: BBP

BBP

Visit site
I cable tied this to the existing fencing of a one acre field so I can exercise my dogs in it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-MTRS...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649.
That is a possibility. I used it to build my catio for containing my cats. Although our field bunnies have chewed huge holes in the last lot of mesh I put up. He doesn’t try too hard to escape, more bolts off/runs if there is an open space and a bird in flight to follow. He isn’t great with the horses so I need to make sure the line between paddocks is completely secure.