Do you think a 'loaner' or rider would be interested in...

shadowboy

Visit site
Taking on a 5 year old on long term loan (3-4years) that's had a couple of months pro schooling. I would pay for ALL training and competitions but they would need to foot all other costs.
I've just been to visit my boy at the event rider's yard and he looks so amazing I just don't want to sell him. However injury and time are really against me- I just don't have the time to compete him. I also can't afford pro rider costs forever (£600 per month)

I am planning on selling but don't want to and wondered if anyone would be interested? I know there is the issue that they put the work in and I have him back in a few years- hence why I would happily pay the training/competing costs - perhaps £150 a month?

Am I on another planet? 😬

MuddyTB

Visit site
I think a lot of people would be interested, but also that he would appeal to a lot of people who think they are more able than they are and fancy a go with a young horse. I'd just say pick very carefully and ideally someone close to home so you can keep an eye on him. Good luck whatever you decide.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I don't know. Like you say people would just see it as a way for you to get someone else to train it for you even if your going to pay them. Its still a lot of time and effort they put in just to have it taken away after a while. Who knows, someone might take them on looking for a challenge and a bit of experience.

zaminda

Visit site
I would be. I have older horses who aren't able to compete as much as I would like, and would love another, but finances would be tight, so someone paying entries and things would be a win win for me! I'm sure i'm not alone.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Agree with above I think people would be interested. I have an older semi retired gelding so can't afford another but ride another horse for somebody and enjoy seeing him improve.

shadowboy

Visit site
Ah cool. He's still in training but when the trainer thinks he's ready I'll put it to him and see what he thinks. I'd love to watch him at comps and just love his character- he's like a big, cuddly dog - would miss him loads if I never saw him again!

ihatework

Visit site
You would certainly get people interested. But you would need to be very careful at vetting them and their riding ability.

Personally I wouldn't be willing to fund your horse for you to take it back.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I think so. My daughter has the ride on a horse. The owner wants it out and about. We pay (well my daughter pays!) competition/ training hunting fees and the owner pays everything else.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I wouldn't be willing to improve a horse for someone else to sell unless they were totally footing the bill. Someone who is a better rider than me might expect a percentage of sale as payment too. I think it is quite an unfair situation :(

glamourpuss

Visit site
You would certainly get people interested. But you would need to be very careful at vetting them and their riding ability.

Personally I wouldn't be willing to fund your horse for you to take it back.

But isn't this the risk with any loan? I've known owners terminate loans & want the horse back for a variety of reasons.
At least in this case the owner is being upfront about the situation right from the start & the loaner is going in knowing what they are getting.

Yes, lots of people would be interested in this.

ihatework

Visit site
But isn't this the risk with any loan? I've known owners terminate loans & want the horse back for a variety of reasons.
At least in this case the owner is being upfront about the situation right from the start & the loaner is going in knowing what they are getting.

Yes, lots of people would be interested in this.

It is the risk with any loan.
Which is why the only loan I would ever agree to would be an established competition horse that would advance my riding.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
A good opportunity for the right person it's just finding someone.

Plenty of decent riders won't want to commit for longer than that period anyway and plenty of sentimental folk like me who wouldn't want to buy one if I knew for instance I would have to sell in a few years due to my career/education/family etc.

Nothing ventured and all that. As long as they go into it with their eyes open.

Realistically any loan you are just improving them for their owner to take back at any time, they aren't usually upfront about their intention to take it back when it suits them tho! Happened to me plenty as a child.

Bucks Fizz

Visit site
It might appeal to someone who knows its only a 3-4 year deal, so long as you're up front from the start then you may well find someone interested.

It wouldn't appeal to me personally, I think I would feel that you were having the benefit of having the horse paid for and produced with very little financial input to then reap the financial rewards or just have the horse back for yourself, but then this is a risk with any loan and you are being up front about it.

there might be someone who would enjoy the chance to bring something on and then move on to something else so wouldn't have a problem saying goodbye at the end!

Clodagh

Visit site
My youngster is out on loan to a lovely girl. She couldn't afford anything like him and he is too much for me. We are both happy, I don't pay anything towards him but also I have no plans to take him back.

shadowboy

Visit site
It wouldn't be for my financial gain simply that my 1 year old daughter/full time job/physio means I'm struggling to keep him ticking over correctly. I think when she's in school I'll have more time hence the 3-4 years. I could simply loan him but would rather watch him develop- I'd like to help fund it.

spookypony

Visit site
I think this might well appeal to someone, if you targeted it correctly. Competition/training fees paid by you could be a very good deal (would you set an upper limit/month?), and this might be great for someone who can't commit to ownership beyond a few years. Consider targeting international students (postgraduates?) or foreign contract workers, who may have considerable experience under their belts, but who know that their time here is too limited to realistically buy a horse.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
In theory yes but a friend was looking to loan her horse out while she was pregnant ( not paying for entries though). He was a nice 6 year old. The type of people interested weren't really the type you would want.