Do you think I might need a new ramp?

ann-jen

Visit site
I noticed yesterday a softish spot right at the bottom of the ramp (about the area where the horse steps on) about the size of a hoof print. The rest of the ramp is rock solid.
I assume the ramp is made up of wooden planks underneath the rubber mats so I'm guessing one has either snapped or is rotton.
Do you think the whole thing will have to be replaced or is it possible to just remove the damaged portion and replace it somehow? A new plank put in? And how big a job is it roughly? Sorry but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to mechanical matters and I haven't had a lorry all that long.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If just one part has gone then you shouldn't need a new ramp BUT you do need to get the mats off and give the whole thing a good check over.

borris123

Visit site
Depends on the construction and materials used but it is a fairly easy job to do using a high quality ply type material just need to remove rubber etc old wood cut ply to size fix and replace rubber etc.

ann-jen

Visit site
Oh thanks guys - that doesn't sound as bad as I was expecting. I'm going to ring the mechanic later today and see when he can look at it. I'm off work this week so I'm hoping he might be able to sort it pretty much straight away as I was planning loads of away days this week - typical!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It's a simple job to do. I bought a trailer a long time ago to restore & the ramp had a soft patch on it. I removed the rubber mat & found it was made a ply wood & the top 12" had rotted. I removed the bolts holding the ply to the ramp & cut the rotten piece off. I replaced the cut off ply with a new piece of marine ply & bolted it all back together. Fitted the rubber matting back on the ramp & they ran a bead of black guter sealent around the edge to make it waterproof. I screwed some new slats onto the ramp to assist grip. It didn't take long to do the job & it was as good as new. I can't imagine that the job will cost alot to have done.
smile.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
Thanks for that info. My mechanic is very busy this week but he says if I pop the lorry over this week he'll have a look and try to patch something over it to make it safe on a temporary basis until he can strip it down and fix it properly.

Louby

Visit site
This happened to my friend wagon. We hadnt noticed but my horse did and leapt off the ramp and nearly squashed her!
They replaced the whole lot as the bad bit was totally rotten, I didnt see them do it but her other half is not good at DIY and he managed it fine. They took off the matting, got some new marine ply and replaced the whole lot while they were at it. They said under the matting looked like there was condensation and they wasnt sure if it was caused by rain that seeped in when the ramp was up, which I suppose is feasable.