do you think i will need planning permission

Tim's Girl

Visit site
hi, wanted some advice from anyone in this position.

I've been at my yard for 2 years now and all of a sudden the council want to look at the stables. my friend and i rent some land off a local farmer and we put up some stables on skids which the manufacturer assured us didnt need planning permission. unfortunatly at the begining of the year very strong gusts of wind tipped two of them over (with me and a pony inside) and so we have now bolted them to the floor. however these can be removed as have a nut and washer on top of the rod which goes to the ground. the stables are still mobile as you just need a tractor to move them. does anyone think we are safe or will we have to pull them down. we have to have two stables as the ponies are laminitics.

i've looked it up on the internet but its so contridicting and the councils website is no help at all. can anyone help? thanks

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Until they come to see them I would remove the pins from the floor, and any mats or flooring (including bedding) and anything that makes them look like stables rather than shelters..

Technically they can make you move them around. I wonder if someone reported them? Fingers crossed for you.x

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You won't need planning as such but in order to get away with not needing planning you will need to abide by whatever your council's rules are on how often you have to move them and how far from thier previous site. Personally I wouldn't worry until you hear from the council, then apologise profusely and ask them how often and how far and comply with that - for a while at least.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You won't need planning as such but in order to get away with not needing planning you will need to abide by whatever your council's rules are on how often you have to move them and how far from thier previous site. Personally I wouldn't worry until you hear from the council, then apologise profusely and ask them how often and how far and comply with that - for a while at least.

Probably this ^

However, our local council is v strict - mobile shelters have to be moved every 6 weeks. Shelters also have to be open fronted (they get cross with even part closed ones:rolleyes: ) and most definately not have closing doors on them :(

So, worth you checking on local regs - your council should have this on their website.

Good luck (and unpeg them asap)

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
If they make you get planning permission then you will have to pay non domestic rates. I pay £80 a month for 4 stables and not allowed to do livery.

Not necessarily altho likely if stables are away from the house. Also may become more likely as councils run out of money and try and extort cash wherever they can

We have 4 stables built in last 5 years with PP and no non-domestic rates.

Tim's Girl

Visit site
council been and we do need planning for our stables as they arent classed as field shelters which is what they say are mobile. we also have to have change of use on the land. have to wait for letter from council before we do anything which could take a month then apply which wil cost about £300. planning could take 8-12months to be approved as she said we are not a priority. so non the wiser really as to whether we have to move.

mandwhy

Visit site
Gosh rubbish outcome :-( I thought it would be ok but thank you for the information as I was thinking of putting up some sort of shelter too!

Pale Rider

Visit site
I think they are trying it on with you. They must have a policy so ask for a copy of it.
I've challenged the council a few times and when you start getting specific with them they sometimes back off.
Remember, they are short of money at the moment and if you cause them to start having to invest time and money on you they may well feel its not worth it.

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
What is the classification on the land? Agricultural use? If so then sadly you will need planning permission to "keep" i.e supplementary feed, ride, house a horse on it. In the planners eyes they are not an agricultural animal. I have been through this with the land at the back of my house. Stables now going up in the garden as horses are classed as a pet and come under permitted developments. They can graze the agricultural land but nothing else.

Tim's Girl

Visit site
I believe it is still classed as agricultural so we knew that might have to change.

Council said that a field shelter wouldnt need permission as long as it was moved alot but different councils vary.