do you think it is presumptuous?..........

JadeWisc

Visit site
To show up to look at a horse with a trailer??? here is why....

I have a girl coming to see Chester today. I am on the fence with selling him still, but I am still allowing people who have responded to an internet ad to view him atm. I have taken the ad down, and this girl is the las left to see him. I priced him very high in this ad , just to see what kind of buzz I would get. I have been quite suprised at the interest. I have been open and honest with buyers that I am making this decision with caution, and taking my time with no "emergency" to sell him. So, anyhow, girl says on the phone today....."I may be a little late because of the snow......we are pulling a trailer in case we want him and it may take us awhile longer"

Ok, am I unreasonable to tell her that he would in no circumstances be ready to go today? Is that rude? I could never decide on the spot about something like this no matter what she offered me .
I realsie she is coming from 3 hours away, but I told her he would not be going anywhere today. Does anyone share this thinking? I suppose people take horses home on the spot at auctions and private sales all the time. I am wondering if I am sabotaging all of this subconciously on purpose.

Tia

Visit site
Then I would call her and tell her not to come. There is no way I would travel 3 hours WITHOUT a trailer. I just don't have the time to be faffing around travelling to see horses a million miles away only to have to go back again IF I choose to buy it.

If a horse is more than an hour from me, I always, always take a trailer and yes I would expect to pay cash there and then and take the horse away.

rema

Visit site
Oh dear i dont think you really want him to go anywhere....
grin.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Then I would call her and tell her not to come. There is no way I would travel 3 hours WITHOUT a trailer. I just don't have the time to be faffing around travelling to see horses a million miles away only to have to go back again IF I choose to buy it.

If a horse is more than an hour from me, I always, always take a trailer and yes I would expect to pay cash there and then and take the horse away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did speak to her and tell her.She is still interested in seeing him as she was coming this way anyhow with a friend and they are seeing several horses. I suppose I feel inside that I have to think on it after meeting her as much as she has to think on wanting him. I am not sure how anyone could come to such a big decision on one meeting.

Baileysno1

Visit site
Aren't they going to have him vetted? Seems a bit risky from a buyers perspective just turning up and deciding on the spot 3 hours isn't that far away.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
This will sound horrible, but you are really wasting people's time if you have not decided whether you want to sell or not. Of course YOU can decide the type of person to have your horse and it is your decision to sell or not. However, it is a bit much to put the horse up for sale, let people travel 6 hour round trip in poor weather, only to tell them that you may have changed your mind and won't be able to let them know for a day or so. I think that you really want to keep him!!!

JadeWisc

Visit site
and also...... "IF I choose to buy it"

I think that it is not only a buyer who has a choice to make, but an owner as well. Just because you are the one paying me, it is not in my opinion like a "paying customer" at a store....we are talking about a beloved friend, and a life.

JadeWisc

Visit site
I have been honest about my feelings with the few I have spoken with. So therefore, the choice to waste their time is a choice they have made. and as I said above....she was coming this way anyhow

Tia

Visit site
I've never had a horse vetted and never ended up with a duffer either, however I have been buying horses for a long time. If I felt one needed a vetting then I would step away from it.

6 hours drive round-trip is a bloody long way!! Sorry but you obviously have too much time on your hands if you don't think that it is, LOL!!
grin.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was right! You DO want to keep him!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...maybe

but if the perfect home came here for him that would allow him greatness, I doubt I would deny him that. My concern is HIM, not the buyers looking

sorry to sound cold guys
shocked.gif
but HE is my responsibility and I have never lead anyone on

pottamus

Visit site
Sorry but you should not be advertising horses for sale if you have not yet made up your mind if you want them to go! I would also take a trailer with me if I was making that sort of a journey...I am not one for vetting...my choice...so I would want to take the horse home if he/she was right.
When you decide to sell a horse it is a gamble and emotion does come into it but so long as the buyer is not some nasty piece of work you have to let them go...or not advertise it at all.
Sorry to sound harsh and it is just my opinion...but you advertised it after all.

Tia

Visit site
LMAO!! Jade I'd keep the advert off the Internet until you decide whether or not you want to sell. Not really fair on potential purchasers I don't think.
confused.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
Too much time on my hands....Now wouldnt that be a dream??

anyhow, AS I have stated above 3 times....that girls drive is not anything I am worried about....SHE WAS COMING THIS WAY ANYHOW to see other horses

there...I promise I will not say that again

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am not one for vetting – have only made one mistake – and that is because he got a LOU brand the day before I went to pick him up so it wasn’t showing…still have the (thankfully sound) horse.
Would also take lorry if was driving that way…. Why are you selling him if you don’t want to sell him, if you catch my drift?

JadeWisc

Visit site
I agree with you.
But it's not a question of me being on the fence with the sale so much as it is his future. I am simply saying that I am in no rush to make a decision and I am keeping all options open.

teapot

Visit site
Depends, 2 of the horses at the yard - owner saw the advert, rang them up, got a member of staff with her, and went straight up with a trailer just incase

Both horses were bought there and then (seperate occasions)

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
LMAO!! Jade I'd keep the advert off the Internet until you decide whether or not you want to sell. Not really fair on potential purchasers I don't think.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tia never has idecision on selling a horse
wink.gif

and Spotty Horse only has a kings ransom on his head for the sake of it
wink.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, not really? You have just said that you are sitting on the fence? Presumably that doesn’t mean you are stuck on it and therefore cant ride!!!!
laugh.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
I think I am beginning to sound like a broken record.

I really see everyones points and I agree with most. I think I am just trying to explian my point of view on it to see if anyone understands

anyhow, the ad was taken down. I have shown him to one family (from 2 miles away) that I said no to because they wanted him for an 11 yr old girls first horse........the second is alocal man who wants to trade for him and I FOR SURE am not positive an that yet. and then only this gal who knows how I feel. I doubt that too many people have been put out by this

Tia

Visit site
PMSL!!!! I was waiting for that retort!!! LMAO!! Sharp beggar you!

But I don't avidly advertise my lovely Spots - he just happens to be on my website for a fortune and I would sell him to the right person.....just that the last person was not the right person and he didn't come from a million miles away.

I'm a stickler for finding out every single thing about my purchasers and if there is any doubt in my mind that I might not want to sell any of my horses to these people I always call them back and tell them not to come.

I know I am a dealer, and I do have success with my sales BUT they are still my guys and no I don't sell to just anyone. Reason being - I don't EVER want to go to an auction in 10 years time and see one of my horses going through it!!
shocked.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
I'll admit it...I don't know for sure

he has just started being an angel recently and we have been making so much progress. It is mostly because I have been putting more effort and confidence into it. Him being so amazing is why I took off the add. I'll just let her look today, she will be seeing a few amd it could help her have something to judge by anyhow. And if she is a dream buyer and she loves him too.....a deal may be struck...otherwise....he will be staying off until I am ready and certain.

Tia

Visit site
PMSL @ Weezy!!

I do agree, providing the person is as good as they sound in the phone vetting - otherwise I'll keep my guys for another day.

X

xspiralx

I don't think its presumptuous - although you do also have to make the decision about whether the home is right for him. I would never sell a horse to somebody I didn't think would be a good home for them.

End of the day, its YOUR horse, YOUR choice. So long as you are clear to everyone what the circumstances are, you can do whatever you like.

JadeWisc

Visit site
I know Tia...
I hope you know I was kidding about Spotty Horse...He is a GORGEOUS one!

I think the trouble here is that all of my horses growing up were not in my control for selling and buying.
Chester is my first horse that I bought myself as an adult, and I think it more this emotion that I am struggling with atm.

I have heard the whole deal of people that I am close to involved with horses telling me how it is something you have to get over . I am just hashing out the emotions I suppose. I really didnt expect anyone to call....but they did
Now the reality of it has hit me. I will keep saying that I have been honsest and truthful with people that have called me. I will promise that.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Maybe it is because I have spent entire weekends in the car over the past month or so trying to find the right horse that I would go mad if I finally found the right one, and the owner then decided they wanted to keep it! Anyway - going to see two more on Sunday and they are only an hour away so not too bad.