Do you think it'll be poss to find a sharer for this pony?

horsemad32

Visit site
One of the ladies on our yard has a pony (13.2hh) who's a little older, and whose now teen daughter hasn't the time she used to (weekends only now really). She doesn't want to sell as the pony's been in the family for years, so is thinking of looking for a sharer to keep the pony in work. So, the question is - would this be feasible?

- Looking for someone for weekdays (so perhaps a mum with kids who'd want to ride in the day, or a college student?)
- School and off-road hacks available on the yard, but pony doesn't hack out solo away from the yard
- Pony is older so gets stiff without regular work (hence the need for a weekday rider). Would need a rider who's willing to at least do some circles and not just hack in straight lines.
- Pony spooks occasionally but is generally pretty sane, sensible and easy going. Still jumps happily and is pretty push-button there as she enjoys it.
- Rider could go to shows with the pony if they wanted.
- No chores as owner does hers all together morning and evening.

Now I suggested getting pony fit first as she's currently quite stiff and thus doesn't feel great to ride. Then, would they find anyone going into winter, for weekdays? On a pony that won't hack solo off the yard?

Littlelegs

Visit site
If someone works wkends & there's always people to hack with, it is possible. But personally there's no way I'd pay to keep a pony fit & supple so someone else can do stuff at wkends with it.

kc100

Visit site
I think the lack of weekend riding is going to be the biggest issue - not many sharers are going to be happy with only riding weekdays. But it is still worth putting the advert out there and seeing what happens, I think in this case your friend really cant charge much (if anything) for this share. Your friend is pretty much just looking for someone to exercise the pony to get keep him/her fit and healthy, which in my opinion is not a true share.

I share a horse, I have him 4 days a week (including Sunday) and I do all the chores on my days - he is pretty much like my own horse on my days. This is a proper share, I'm not exercising the horse for the owner's benefit, I'm spending time with the horse and building a relationship, enjoying him just as much, if not more than the owner.

So if your friend wants a decent financial contribution then she might have to be a bit more flexible with what she is offering. Alternatively she should just advertise for a 'rider required' type thing rather than calling it a share, so it is clear from the start she just needs someone to exercise the pony on weekdays.

kate79

Visit site
I use to share my mare.. Someone else use to own her and I had her on share... I has her Monday to Friday only and it worked well.. In the end she sold her to me and now owned her almost 6 years x

Princess Jess

Visit site
You might find a student who would be happy to ride week days only - are there any universities near you?
Personally I'd love the opportunity to do a bit of extra riding whilst at university, however I wouldn't expect to pay for effectively doing the owner a favour by schooling and keeping the horse fit for her daughter to ride at weekends.
So yes, I think you'll be able to find a rider but I doubt you'll find a 'share' in the sense that few people are going to want to pay to school someone elses horse for them :)