do you think my arab has sweet itch?

ilovemyarab

Visit site
hi every1 i have just bought an arab mare and i asked the lady does she have sweet ich because half way down her main its rubbed off and the woman sed no it was her full neck rug that rubbed it. could this be true the main
confused.gif
isant flakey or scabby!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
It could just be her rug. Does she try to itch her mane at all now? If not I'd imagine it was the rug but keep an eye on it and put lots of fly repellent on her just in case.

ilovemyarab

Visit site
no she doesnt itch at all her tail is also fine! i have just bought her a new shires fly rug with neck cover but am i doing the wrong thing as this will also rub her main wont it

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
The rug won't nessecarily rub, it shouldn't if it's a good fit and generally fly rugs are looser fitting than turnout or stable rugs and made of a thinner fabric so much less likely to rub.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Yes, it'll be her rug, as if she had sweetitch all her mane would be rubbed.

My mare loses most of the bottom of her mane in winter caused by her neck cover rubbing it off. I've tried 3 different sorts and they all do it.

Your fly rug might not be too bad as it's not as heavy as a New Zealand.

rforsyth1984

Visit site
Arabs are very tough. Mine is out from 4:30 am to 6pm in the winter in a normal rug (half neck if its really cold, e.g. snow gales). The other arab in our field is out in a normal rug when its really cold, and naked the rest of the time.
I dont really know why people need full neck rugs, there was no such thing a few years ago and I dont remember any thin skinned or clipped horses freezing to death! Ive never seen a full neck rug that doesnt rub, although I suppose they are useful for keeping them clean if you dont mind the rubbing... cant say this would be great on any horse, but especially horses with full manes

SpruceRI

Visit site
I agree with rforsyth really - 20 yrs ago rugs didn't come with necks and even full clipped horses survived.

I use my 'necked' rugs because I've got them now, but wouldn't got out of my way to get any more, as they do rub their manes off!

Andelusional

Visit site
Only full neck we have that doesnt rub is the heavyweight black and gold rambo. Those neck covers seem to leave the manes alone!

ilovemyarab

Visit site
ok thank you for that i will go rug hunting im only using the full neck as thats what came with her! she tends to shiver when its cold think shes been pampered a little 2 much lol. i will consider gettin her a heavy weight normal rug this winter i think