Do you think this would work at the caravan?

deb_l222

Visit site
Seeking advice please................

We had an 'incident' last year at the caravan whereby Rufus and Willow managed to pull their tethers out of the ground and they ran up to another dog that was walking past. Nothing happened and they both came straight back when called but the owners of the other dog were (quite rightly) annoyed by this and despite me apologising profusely, badmouthed me to anyone that would listen. I would ideally like to avoid this again :)

I'm not a bit fan of tethers because they can easily get tangled especially with 3 dogs and if the ground is hard, like in this instance, you can't screw the darn things in far enough for them to be effective, so I was thinking of an outdoor pen. Do you think this is OK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yaheetech-...dog+pen&qid=1594372860&sr=8-9&tag=googhydr-21

It's 1m in height and 8 panels of 80cm so I'm thinking that should be big enough for 3 springers? It's only for when we're sat outside - hopefully in the sunshine! We will be in the caravan or walking the rest of the time.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know.

Annette4

Visit site
We're looking at something similar to put outside our 'garden' as the pointies learnt to stick their nose under the windbreaks and lift it to see out. Mine would go straight over it if they could see but we're hoping it will stop them lifting the windbreaks.

It will depend on how the are and their jumping skills. Several of my friends use and swear by the solid windbreaks like Windbreak Leasure. One has 6 greyhounds/lurchers some of whom are who are reactive and they have no issue and don't need to tether them.

deb_l222

Visit site
We're looking at something similar to put outside our 'garden' as the pointies learnt to stick their nose under the windbreaks and lift it to see out. Mine would go straight over it if they could see but we're hoping it will stop them lifting the windbreaks.

It will depend on how the are and their jumping skills. Several of my friends use and swear by the solid windbreaks like Windbreak Leasure. One has 6 greyhounds/lurchers some of whom are who are reactive and they have no issue and don't need to tether them.

Yes, I had been looking at the windbreaks on Facebook. I don't think mine would try to get under but I'm not 100% sure and they definitely can't jump over but I can't for the life of me work out what stops them from going underneath the caravan and out that way. I might be missing something really obvious :)

meleeka

Visit site
Yes, I had been looking at the windbreaks on Facebook. I don't think mine would try to get under but I'm not 100% sure and they definitely can't jump over but I can't for the life of me work out what stops them from going underneath the caravan and out that way. I might be missing something really obvious :)
You can get a skirt that goes on the bottom rail that you peg down.
Eurotrail Caravan Awning Draught Skirt 500 x 60 cm Grey Universal https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BKW1Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S3dcFbVCH6Y8P
We’ve always had an awning up with windbreaks and a mesh panel or a fold up trellis as a gateway. We have a terrier that can’t be off lead so it was impractical to have two dogs on long leads. I hate those screw it tethers after our collie got his leg stuck in one. It was awful and we just couldn’t get it out.
It does all depend on how good your dogs are are at not trying to get out. My Springer had no wish to go anywhere with an awning up so we had no problems.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm not a camper, but from what I've heard, this is a quite common sight at Swedish camping sites:

2014-04-21-0727_5354ac31ddf2b35a0bb1b16b.jpg

Picture copied from Dogladyn's blogg page. Ordinary metal compost net, probably used just as much, if not more, for dog pens in Sweden, as for actual garden composts.

But for example Jormax makes windbreak dog pens designed for camper vans and similar.
https://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/

pet1-1140x380.jpg

vision-grey.jpg

I presume that if you had dogs prone to try and jump fences regardless of their height, you wouldn't have posted this thread. So I think it is just about finding a fence of a height which your dog respects.

satinbaze

Visit site
I have managed to get a second hand jormax garden for my caravan. They are very sturdy dogs can’t get under them or knock them over. However even secondhand they are not cheap. In the past I have used puppy pen caging attached to windbreak poles with cable ties. These work well unless your dogs are the sort that try to jump up.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I've seen more and more people use a kind of metal frame covered with canvas fabric type of pens at Swedish dog shows, and I thought they might be lighter to haul around than an all metal type of pen.

dog_soft_ex_pen_24_1-1.jpg

I think that is from an USA site https://digitpet.com/product/gogo-soft-exercise-pen/
I have no idea what the size numbers mentioned on that page equals in centimetres, but I know that some that are sold in Sweden can be around 90 centimetres tall. Another positive thing with them seems to be that you can easily add more sets, if you want to make the pen larger.

If you don't intend to make the pen larger, because they won't need to spend much time in it, you could perhaps buy a round-ish shaped, large, portable soft crate. I bought one to use at dog shows many years ago. Mine is black, with a silvery sun protection roof, large enough to fit 3 Finnish Lapphunds, and there is still enough room so that I/a young adult nephew/or similar can crawl into it, and lie down for a snuggle (with a bit of curled up legs).

The best point with this option is perhaps that with roof, and "doors" closed, there is no escape routes for the dog neither at ground nor top level. And if they decide to gnaw, or dig through the fabric to get out, it will probably take a bit longer time than simply jumping out over a fence/crawling under a caravan to the greener grass on the other side of it.

Mine reminds of this one:

91Pzc3G5R-L._SS400_.jpg

https://www.a.ubuy.com.kw/en/search...als-portable-foldable-black/store/store/kk/dp

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I also read that someone who had gotten rid of his dog pen in metal, because he wanted something which added less weight to his caravan when not in use, chose to use sheep fencing instead. Intended to use with electricity, but he of course skipped that part. I presume it also requires good dogs, who respects even a more flimsy looking fence.

I thought it looked too flimsy for it to be possible to add a gate, but it seems it is possible, even with this type of fencing:

netting_header.jpg

https://www.premier1supplies.com/newsletters/06-11-2019-netgates.html

deb_l222

Visit site
I have managed to get a second hand jormax garden for my caravan. They are very sturdy dogs can’t get under them or knock them over. However even secondhand they are not cheap. In the past I have used puppy pen caging attached to windbreak poles with cable ties. These work well unless your dogs are the sort that try to jump up.

I think it was Jormax I had seen recommended on Facebook. They look really sturdy but you’re right, they don’t come cheap!! If it works though, I don’t mind paying because it’s nice to relax knowing the dogs are safe.

My dogs aren’t particularly a nuisance but they are nosey. The ones with the solid sides look preferable. I’m thinking, what they can’t see through won’t worry them :)

deb_l222

Visit site

deb_l222

Visit site
I've just pinched this piccie from the caravanning with dogs Facebook page and think it looks a really good set-up

qTVcCUx.jpg

I love the idea of the air windbreaks but they're so expensive. This is an 8 panel (+2 extra I think) pen from Amazon and then the caravan skirt to stop them bobbing underneath the van. I guess, if the dogs are still distracted you could wrap a really cheap windbreak around the edges to stop visual stimulation.

They also have broom holder suckers on the van, just to stabilise the first panels.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I've just pinched this piccie from the caravanning with dogs Facebook page and think it looks a really good set-up

qTVcCUx.jpg

I love the idea of the air windbreaks but they're so expensive. This is an 8 panel (+2 extra I think) pen from Amazon and then the caravan skirt to stop them bobbing underneath the van. I guess, if the dogs are still distracted you could wrap a really cheap windbreak around the edges to stop visual stimulation.

They also have broom holder suckers on the van, just to stabilise the first panels.

That looks very functionable, except I can't see that there is any gate making it is easy to get out and in. If there is some good ideas for how to make a reasonably easy to use gate, I like it. But I'm lazy, and not as agile as I used to be, as long as you think it will work for you, and your dogs, go for it.

Smitty

Visit site
Well I'm tight and camp with terrier a lot. I hammer a tent peg righ into the ground with a piece of nylon rope attached to it and tie him to that. It never shifts and my friend also attaches her large dog to it on occasions.