Do You Think You Owe Your Horse A Retirement?

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I have a 21-year-old that is retired. I can't really afford her livery but I somehow manage it because I couldn't bear to have her pts when she is in good health. I would never sell her and if I found it impossible to find the money I'd have her pts.

Marydoll

Visit site
For me yes, i do think i owe mine, i have 2 retired, one is 30 the other is 15, the former gave me many years of pleasure and fun, the latter gave me some years and an education in working with agressive and difficult horses.
I realise i am lucky to be in a position to do this and have another 2 horses to ride, if i wasnt in a position to retire them i might look on things differently. One thing is for sure, none will be moved on, and my 2 retirees would be pts if my circumstances changed and tbh id feel okay about it as theyve both been retired for years.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes im trying to. Im very lucky to be in the position to be able to. Two years ago I was on a livery yard, only basic DIY but if my horse had retired then id have had to choose between keeping him for possibly another 15-20 years and never having another horse to ride or pts.
As it is I rented a field and at the moment its all ok. Im not 100% certain how happy he actually was last winter- in fact I think he was miserable but now the grounds dried up he seems ok so will play it by ear and see how he copes being a field ornament.
I fully intend to keep him as long as he's happy. I had my last horse until he died at 38.

Visit site
Yes. If the situation allows then I will always keep mine to the end for the oldies. For the younger ones - I never sell anything (hence the stupid number of beasts that I have!) but I will loan them for life on the condition that should the loaner no longer be able to look after/afford the horses then they come straight back to me. If they still have a usr then I may loan them again but they will always either end their days with me.or with the person thats is loaning them.

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes. Mine is 20 and after 11 years as the best riding pony a girl could ask for she is now having a few age related issues which mean I may never do more than light hacking on her again. I can't afford another, but tbh, I'd rather have 10 years of her as a field ornament than 10 years with a nice riding horse but no Lou Lou. Soppy I know :eek:

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have kept all mine in their old age and then PTS when the time came and buried at home. Unfortunately not everyone has that luxury even if that's what they wanted to do.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
My horse has repaid me a million times over by keeping me going through all my problems. Sounds dramatic but if it wasn't for him I would be dead by now so he owes me nothing. As long as he wasn't suffering if I he couldn't be ridden anymore he would be retired & want for nothing. He has a home for life with me.

pippixox

Visit site
I also agree that actually quite a few event yards or some hunt yards to have a few oldies hanging around that have worked so hard for them that they are keeping them until the end.
I would never sell mine on when they are too old to be more than an occasional hack or companion, as too many then get sold on or the bad dealers get hold of them and sell them as rideable!
I don't compete at more than a local level and for fun, and ultimately they are my pets, some would say my 'babies'. if both of them suddenly became unrideable, but were still comfortable and happy, I would keep them until they reached the ends of their days, one is only 10 and the other 15, so hopefully not soon, but you never know with horses. having to come to terms that my boy is getting very stiff in his back legs, as he was a race horse for 5 years, and may need to be pretty much retired if he doesn't improve over the summer. I would probably not be able to afford another horse to ride, but that's life. very few people would sell on a dog because it is too old to walk any more
don't get me wrong, I know they are very expensive pets, but they deserve to be looked after, not sold on when they are old.... that's how my friend has ended up with 5 unrideable horses! but unless she faced bankruptcy she would never get rid of them.
I think often the old horses advertised would be better off being PTS then passed on. end on a high

ozpoz

Visit site
My old boy is in semi retirement... he has taught me more than any other horse and is a great pleasure to have around.
He is also very happy with his downsized life. My daughter's pony, many years ago, was miserable at being retired and left behind for parties. When I realized it wouldn't work, I spoilt him madly for a few weeks then had him put down.
I couldn't/wouldn't sell on an oldie.

Ahrena

Visit site
For me, yes.

Although I do horses for a living, my own horses are pets first and foremost.

I have a wonderful 15 year old who, in the last 2 years, has made my life basically. If he needed to slow down a little, I.e compete 80cm instead of 1.10, I would consider allowing someone to ride him/loan him at my yard as he adores his work and I probably wouldn't want to slow down with him, so would get a new horse.

But he will be with me until the end of his days. We have a 17yo who has been retired for 3 years, she has navicular, she's not sound enough to ride but she's happy in the field and she will only be pts when her quality of life goes downhill. They're family.

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
Oh yes. I have even made provision in my will for their future including monies so that my friend will not be out of pocket caring for them. Be a nice surprise for her one day and it ensures I sleep we'll at night not worrying about where they end up.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
My old mare is now 22...

I rode her from when I was 8 for 6 years. she was still absolutely bonkers (and still is) in that last summer but her legs partly due to her very exuberant jump could not cope with what we were doing (3ft) and she had recurring lameness.

She is now in semi retirement with my little sister, still bonkers, still thinks she knows best and nobody believes she is 22 years old (behaves like shes 4).

She's loving life, stilll competing (but at lower level) with my sister having taught her to enjoy jumping and that going fast is not scary. I occasionally compete her in the winter (in arenas/on surfaces) and we do well but we do have to keep an eye on her.

We've owned since she was 7: my older sister (now 24) rode her, we bred Kitty out of her, I rode her and now as I said my little sister rides her. She'll be with us till her last breath and when th time comes we will give her the dignity she deserves hving practically given us her life, soul and heart...but we will never be able to repay her.

*welling up*

cbmcts

Visit site
Yep, I think a horse has every right to be retired and have a nice peaceful end to its life. I really don't like it when someone puts a horse down just because they want another riding one and can't afford two. We have brought a retired mare as a companion, and if someone is willing to give the horse a nice retirement home then its better than being shot just because it has no use to its owner. There is always a risk in selling an older horse to a good home, but that's why it needs to be vetted carefully.

While there are fantastic homes out there like yours you have to be realistic and realise that they are very few and far between and there are nowhere near enough of them. To me, the risks of passing on a retired/damaged/old horse are just too high even with through vetting...after all scammers are very plausible that's how they stay in business.

Personally I firmly believe that PTS is not the worst thing that can happen to any horse, let alone one that hasn't got an obvious value to a new home. Much better than the alternatives IMHO.

Mariposa

Visit site
Yes, I think you owe your horse a retirement, or whatever is in their best interest. I think you owe it to them not to sell on at an advanced stage of their life. I am constantly seeing polo ponies of 18yrs+ for sale on Facebook and i think it's rather sad.
We retired one mare to a lovely place in Cornwall where she is thriving living out 24/7. However our older gelding needs to tick over else he gets very stiff, so we will have to evaluate whether it would be kinder to put him to sleep when he gets too old to play. Whatever our decision I know we will never sell him on, he deserves more.

magicmoose

Visit site
I don't believe that you owe your horse a retirement, but I do believe that you owe it to them not to be passed on to an uncertain future. If you want to and can offer them a retirement, great. If not, you should PTS. As cbmcts says, it's not the worst thing that can happen to a horse.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I'm going through this with Andy atm. He's been a wonderful boy and I would love to let him retire but don't think its possible for many reasons.

If the vet says he's field sound than I'll do what I can to atleast give him the summer. However atm its unlikely he'll be comfortable enough to even live in the field and the kindest thing is to consider pts. I've been cruel for not trying hard enough to safe him but at the end of the day he is what he is and is never going to be 100% pain free again and I personally think that is more cruel.

moana

Visit site
Yes, I think a horse deserves a retirement, preferably with it's owner. I do understand that sometimes this is not possible, but do think someone should keep that horse properly until it's time has come, rather than 'get rid' so the owner can get a newer model.

Each to his own though.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
I don't believe that you owe your horse a retirement, but I do believe that you owe it to them not to be passed on to an uncertain future. If you want to and can offer them a retirement, great. If not, you should PTS. As cbmcts says, it's not the worst thing that can happen to a horse.

this.

Arabelle

Visit site
I keep all mine because I am utterly wet that way - hence I have a menagerie of geriatrics.

Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily knock someone for selling on an older horse - I have just bought a 20year old second pony for my daughter and she is perfect for us in every way. However I did buy her in the full knowledge that she would have to end her days with us - because I am soft and that is that.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site

I agree, if I could no longer keep my retired 20 year old mare I would PTS, she will never be rehomed to anyone else.

poops

Visit site
Suppose it depends on each individual horses health but mine will stay with me as long as they are happy & pain free.

BSJAlove

Visit site
So if I had a fit and healthy 15 year old horse who I could, for whatever reason, no longer afford, I wouldn't pts.

I would sell or full loan.

If I had a 15 year old horse with problems and I was in the same situation, I'd consider loaning as a companion first then if that fails, pts.

Last edited:

Theocat

Visit site
Echoing some of the others ...

We owe them a happy life and a humane end.

A good owner will ensure the "happy" meets the needs of the horse as well as the owner. Retirement is a human choice; the horse would not, in the final analysis, know the difference between a happy retirement of one day or ten years.

As long as the happy life and humane end are in place, it is up to the owner - and no other - to decide what they feel is right for them and their animals.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my mare is 28 now, she's still rideable but not as often as she was 13 yrs ago when I got her! but I would never consider selling her, she will be with me forever and will only be pts when she is poorly or can no longer cope

starryeyed

Visit site
I think you DO owe them a debt though. They aren't machines. I think it's like a marriage, for better or worse. If you take on the responsibility and enjoy the good years with them, then you have to support them in the older years.

Well said, I totally agree.