Do you think your horse loves you?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I think he (mostly) respects me, seeks protection from me, and generally prefers me to other humans, but not sure that’s love!! Of course, my love for him is unconditional… which is just as well given he’s a grumpy little sod!
I hope that's love- I'm not sure my husband feels any more strongly than that about me ??

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Henry trusts me and thinks he enjoys my company. But he “loves” anyone who will give him food ?

Rosie, I’d have said something more than that, some kind of attachment/bond. Love? Maybe? I’m not sure. She’d let me do things with her that nobody else was allowed to. We understood each other. We enjoyed hanging out with each other.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Yes, I think mine do.
But they have both had health issues which I have cared for them through, they trust me and we have a good relationship.
Horse emotions are very easy to read if you are observant, I think.

Edited to add: I do think entires (mares and stallions) have a much fuller relationship with humans than geldings do.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Yes, but some do more than others. It probably sounds a bit cheesy to explain why but their actions and behaviours over the years have indicated that they do, just as cats, dogs and birds do.
I never understand why some people think horses are incapable of experiencing love. Arguably, they demonstrate a more sincere and profound love than humans.

For me, I'm uncertain about calling it 'love' because I think love is about having free choice and still choosing that person.

I love my OH - but I chose to be with him and we're equal partners.

I'm so aware my horse doesn't have that free choice. I bought him, I chose where he lives and essentially how he lives. I try my very best to give him the best life I can for him, as much choice within his life as possible, to do as much of the things that make him happy & I try to train & 'be' with him in the nicest way I can.

But, I'm still resistant to say he would 'love' me despite our close bond I think we have (and others have commented on) ... because, well, do I have that right to call it 'love'? I don't know.

I do know I love the bones of him.

coblets

Visit site
Don’t think a horse has ever felt particularly strongly about me, but I do think it’s possible. And as for choices, presumably if you gave a horse autonomy, then you would be able to understand if they actually loved you.

ArklePig

Visit site
My share horse and I have a really lovely bond. He talks to me, gets excited to see me and is braver with me than he is with some others. Nothing compared to how he feels about his owner though, I think he'd walk through a burning building for her.
I don't know if it's love, but I definitely make him happy and he makes me happy so I'll take it.

maya2008

Visit site
Love - no. After all they did not choose us.
However, trust and security certainly.

Funniest thing though - all our New Forest ponies have chosen their own specific human, even if it has not been the person they were bought for!

- Now deceased mare chose my husband years ago. He had no idea about horses, couldn’t even ride. She lived in the same field as my mare and clearly knew a good meal ticket when she saw one! She nuzzled him and worked on him until he fell hopelessly in love. Many happy years followed where he was her most devoted slave!!
- Current husband’s ride…went to look for me…didn’t do anything for me, but my husband walked up to him and he was immediately all soppy and sweet. Before I knew it we had put a deposit down and husband was buying him stuff and excitedly talking about bringing him home. Pony still follows him around the field, looks for him when we turn up and is disappointed if he is not there; is naughty if he feels his ‘daddy’ is spending too much time with the others. He also looks after his human sooooo well it is unreal.
- My current ride - supposed to be for my son. Rejected that idea aged 5. Is very very possessive, will be mean to any other horse I ride, had a proper sulk last weekend when I took another horse out in the box and not her (and indulged in self-harming and naughtiness under saddle as a result).

Daughter’s pony also literally chose her - decided one day that the Shetland was doing an absolutely awful job and she couldn’t watch any longer. So she marched over to small child at tacking up time and made her intentions clear. I indulged her…and lost my pony to my daughter!

Old TB did not choose me, but was also extremely possessive. When I was in hospital having my son (5 days in total), she broke out of her field repeatedly and paced by the yard gate, calling and stressing. We had to come straight from hospital to her - and then she was fine.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
No. But trust yes. I've had my old boy 27yrs and can read him, just like my homebred mare who is 11. I would say I have a bond with them.

I think anthropomorphism can lead to welfare issues, not through neglect but over thinking.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Tinner was affectionate, would hang out with me, owned since 4 or 5 months old and so we built a bond. I remember hi.pm walking in between me and a young horses back end when I was trapped, it was very obvious that he put himself there to protect me. I adored him and am not sure I will ever get over his passing

Harley has been with me from aged 5 and he’s 29 now, it’s more like a long marriage. He sometimes used to remind the others that I was his, but now he is happy to share me with other humans and animals.

an interesting difference between the two boys is that Tinner would always look me straight in the eye even when close up, and even after all these years Harley will not make close eye contact.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think Mim loves me, in as much as horses can love.

She greets me with excitement no matter how many times a day I see her. She is protective of me and looks after me. I’ve only come off her twice and both times her immediate concern was for me, even though she fell herself the second time.

She guards me while a sit in her field. She seeks out physical contact and presses her nose to my face as a form of greeting. She lets me approach her when she’s lying down and will put her head on my lap.

She’s the same with my husband.

I don’t feed her unless it’s winter and she doesn’t get treats unless there are exceptional circumstances. There isn’t a strong food connection, she just seems to really like us.

AUB

Visit site
No, I dont think horses feel love the way we do.

My mare knows I’m her person though.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
First question would be how would you define strong attachments between horses, can they 'love' each other.

I have had horses who prefer my company above other humans and horses and want to spend time with me even if not food related. There is some sort of relationship there and it's not been with every horse. Although all have been affectionate and friendly, there have been 2 where I have definitely felt I was their human:- one was a gelding and one was a mare.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I dont think I can class their feelings for me as 'love' as we know it. But I like to think they like me even when I don't come bearing food.

One of my donkeys however, that is now 21 and I have had from a foal does come pretty close to appearing to show some form of 'love' or at least a very real close attachment to me. I recently had an unexpected week in hospital and when I came home he greeted me exactly as in that video above...I have to say it made me quite emotional. ? The others however just ambled over in their usual semi interested to see me way, although my old mare did whicker at me and she doesn't often get vocal about things.

Apizz2019

Visit site
I don't believe horses love us but I do believe they form strong connections with people they trust and respect.

My 10 year old daughter and her pony have an incredible bond.

I'm the main caregiver, obviously because of my daughters age, and I'm the one there every morning to feed etc. But in the evenings, he doesn't give me a second look and whinnies and gets excited when he sees my daughter or so much as hears her footsteps approach.

He follows her around the field when she poo picks, is constantly licking, nibbling and nudging her - and no, she doesn't feed treats so it's not that. He's just very contented and happy when with her. I can't quite put it into words as it's something you have to see.

Love, no. Trust and respect, yes.

Whatever we want to call it, I think it's remarkable!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
First question would be how would you define strong attachments between horses, can they 'love' each other.

I have had horses who prefer my company above other humans and horses and want to spend time with me even if not food related. There is some sort of relationship there and it's not been with every horse. Although all have been affectionate and friendly, there have been 2 where I have definitely felt I was their human:- one was a gelding and one was a mare.
Thinking about it, my latest horse is very much a one person horse and will behave and do for me while not for others. I see him as soulful and love him dearly. My family see him as that potty TB and I rather think he likes to oblige.

skint1

Visit site
hmm, I wouldn't say love exactly.... they love treats, and they do both look to me, to an extent anyway, when unsure about something....to an extent as I say. The mare I would say is definitely more tuned into me than the gelding, he is a lot more difficult to get through to, she will actually leave her field mate to seek me out, he will not, and she will accept reassurance a lot more readily than him. I sometimes feel like there is a great big gulf between us and other times that we are very connected

Visit site
I definitely have a strong bond with my Appy. Yes he loves his food, but since losing his best friend in February he hasn't attached himself to any of the other horses (quite the opposite after getting kicked last week and now having to go on his own again) but if anything he has grown closer to me! This horse used to hate being anywhere on his own but would now happily stay in a big field by himself - providing I am in there with him..!