Do you tidy up after yourself and your horses?

Lill

Visit site
What type of livery are you on?

How often do you sweep the yard?

Would you assume (without asking) that its the job of a younger person on the yard and leave it for them to do?

fairhill

Visit site
I'm on part DIY livery, and I either sweep up outside my stable before I go home every night, or the lovely lady opposite does it for me when she does hers.

I've never swept the whole yard, as the YO is a fiend with a brush, and sweeps up everywhere at least 3 times a day.

Leg_end

Visit site
I always sweep up and cannot abide people who dont!! I am on DIY but even if I was on full livery I would still sweep up
smile.gif

I wouldnt ever assume anyone would tidy up for me, regardless of age.

the watcher

Visit site
Our yard is in 3 blocks, I do our bit, or Binkybex does, depending on who is there - wouldn't dream of leaving it in a mess unless I am rushing to work in the mornings, but then I know she will be along after me with the broom

spaniel

Visit site
It doesnt matter which sort of livery you are on, if you make a mess clear it up.

As a former YM and now a livery client the idea that you can leave mess for someone else to deal with is IMO just downright rude.

When I had a whole yard to do it got swept completely once aday after Id finished morning stables. Anything after that was up to the clients to clean up.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Our yard is all DIY so would expect everyone to clear their own mess but as usually happens they don't.So do sometime clear others mess but try not to make it a habit.
Only time it really annoys me is when their horse has had farrier for some strange reason quite a few think its ok just to leave all the hoof clippings/nails etc lying there!!!!Why!!!
And no don't think its just the job of the younger person on yard tho younger person may find it easier on the joints etc,bit of an excuse if they say that.If they are able to ride surely can use a brush its not brain surgery!!.

WallisM

Visit site
Hi there !

Well I am on a very small yard, There is only 4 of us and the yard owner makes 5, 13 horses altogether.

Everyone sweeps/tidies up after themselves but I am known for my magic broom.

Also if anyone has lost stuff they always come to me and say Wallis where is..... and I know exactley where it is, Thats how organised our yard is.

Personally if everyone stuck in and tidied up as they went along the place would never be a mess and I certainly don't think it should be left to the younger people. But I am a complete f**ny when it comes to tidyness ! hahaha
wink.gif

samp

Visit site
I sweep outside our my stable and in the Yard (block on 4 stables) in the morning. Then sweep my mess at the tie ring in the eves. At the weekend we tend to BLitz the whole yard. We are lucky in that our yard is small and everyone sweeps up after themselves generally. However if late then I will leave it till the morning/ evening

Stoxx

Visit site
I'm on full livery mon-fri, but also on YO's yard, 3 stables more or less in her garden rather than the main yards. At the wknd I keep it tidy as I wish for my horse to stay where he is and I only think it is fair. If she has people over in the summer and they are outside I don't want her to think I've left my area in a mess!!
No i do not believe it is the responsitbilty of the younger members of the yard - providing they aren't the ones making all the mess!! We are supposed to sweep up after ourselves and then the yard gets swept once a day by the grooms.

Lill

Visit site
What if it was a small yard and you used 2 or 3 of the tie ups too?

And spare stables to feed in?

*Sighs* I'm going to have to say something aren't i?
mad.gif
crazy.gif

I left their mess on the yard Sun afternoon including a pooh to make a point. I will ask them tonight if they tidied it up and they'll most likely say 'yes we did because you forgot'. It was their mess, not mine.

What shall i say? I hate confrontations which is why i've left it till now, till i've got to boiling point!

Bozzy

Visit site
Yep, if I (or my horse) make a mess then I clear up it! I sweep outside my stable before leaving everyday and definitely wouldn't expect anyone else to do it. (I'm DIY on a yard of about 30 horses)

My biggest bug is when horses poo whilst walking through the yard and owners don't think to pick it up...makes me mad!!!

mlm

Visit site
i am a yo and i do expect every one to sweep up after themselves.when i was a livery before it used to annoy me when i would sweep up then someone would walk past with an armful of hay and drop it all along the yard. i only have 9 boxes in one block and it takes 10 mins to sweep the whole yard. i do it as i like to see the yard look nice and i do find that liveries follow and have respect for the place then.

Sali

Visit site
On DIY and on a fairly big/busy yard. Very few brush up after themselves. Drives me nuts when people don't clean up after themselves.
I'll sweep the entire block that I'm on everyday. Tend not to tie my mares up, spesh now it wont stop raining!

Stoxx

Visit site
Oh and at our yard if there are a few people that are on DIY and constantly leave a mess then sometimes our groom sweeps their mess into their stables. Which again, I think is fair, they probably don't like it much though!!!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I've always cleaned up after my horses. At my current DIY yard it's actually written into the contract that owners have to sweep outside their boxes and at the tie rings and pick up loose hay etc if it is dropped. Makes for a nice, tidy yard
smile.gif
At my old yard it wasn't required and I was the only one that did it - the front of my stable was immaculate while everyone elses was filthy.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Is it your yard?There is/was a yard that charged clients to get their 'lost' property back.Also could start charging the habitual messy people for tidying up their mess.If you were going to go that route would give them all a letter advising them of new rules.
Other than that think you can only talk calmly but firmly to them but stick to your guns and don't pick up after them.

__Annie__

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard and have always tidied up after my horse and myself !
I wouldn't assumeor expect anyone else would tidy up my mess
crazy.gif

SSM

Visit site
I keep my area tidy and at least once a week sweep the yard. The girl I share with however has a stable (deep littered) that was vacated in July when she sold her second horse and it still has not been mucked out
mad.gif
She also used another stable on the other yard last weekend while Donkey was away and that has not yet been mucked out.

jumpthemoon

Visit site
If my horse makes a mess I clean it up - I'm on DIY but even if I was on Full I would sweep up after myself! I have been known to sweep the whole yard at the weekend as well. We have a YM who works mon-fri, so she keeps the yard nice in the day, but I still sweep outside my stable when I muck out in the mornings.

To leave mess around is rude, irritating and downright trampy!

amandathepanda

Visit site
I'm the only person in my main yard so if I don't tidy up, no-one else will! At my trainers yard I have 2 that are on full livery, but even so if I make a mess I will still clean it up as the girls aren't my skivvies. I used to be on a DIY yard with a group of kids that would make a mess everywhere including in the spare stables and leave the muck to go mouldy, so annoying. I eventually gave up trying to be tidy in that yard as 5 minutes after a finishing a massive sweep up, I could guarrantee there would be muck everywhere again!

Heidi1

Visit site
I'm on DIY and tidy up after myself every day, I sweep the yard every night as have four horses.

I wouldn't expected anybody else to tidy up after me and most people on the yard are really good, but we do have one who will only sweep outside her stable even though her horse leave mess in other areas.........but she is getting the idea as everytime I sweep I always sweep her mess upto her area........

vicm2509

Visit site
I sweep up ouside my stable all the time, its always tidy. I will occasionally sweep outside my block as I am in the bottom stable of a block of 6 so if everyone else leaves a mess it always blows down to mine. I am also the closest stable to the muck heap and with about 50 other liveries on the yard I get a little wheelbarrow trail that also blows infront of my stable. So I am forever brushing up.

I would not expect anyone else to clean up my mess. And it doesnt matter what age you are you should clean up your own mess (unless you are a small child of course). I am on DIY.

Lill

Visit site
No it's not my yard exactly, its private yard, and deal has been for past 5 years that i do what i like with B and H as my own and in return i have always helped out B and mucked out B's horses and put them to bed as well as my two come the winter and obviously sweep the yard everyday etc.

Now we've had 2 liveries (horses out 24/7) since the Summer and i have NEVER seen them sweep the yard. Yard is only small area takes 10 mins to sweep up. They feed and stick their horses in the empty spare stables and don't sweep them out after. They don't pick up their horses droppings from the sandschool - oh actually once i've seen them do this because i was standing right there.

THey have assumed because i tidy up after B i should tidy up after them but that is not the case and i am sick of it.
mad.gif
frown.gif

soph21

Visit site
Um...... I tidy out my shed now and again! but I cant sweep grass LOL, wen the farrier comes theres a concrete base next to the barn, so i sweep up after him.

Sophie xx