Do you trim a bridle path?

Do you trim a bridle path?

• Total voters

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
No. The sensation of bridle sitting on short, clipped hair ends cannot be pleasant for the horse. It isn't exactly difficult to sweep forelock hair forwards and mane hair backwards.

First Flame

Visit site
I have to trim mine as she gets so irritated by the flies in the summer that if her mane touches her ears it sets her off flicking her ears, lol. The bridle path keeps the mane away from ears and also makes it easier to put her bridle on.

WandaMare

Visit site
No, the hair grows back too spikey. I prefer to just groom the mane flat and then pull the headpiece over. I always check the hair isn't pulling though otherwise it must be uncomfortable for them.

I sent one of my horses for schooling livery once and the bloke there got all funny with me because the horse didn't have a bridle path cut, I thought it was quite odd at the time.

AFB

Visit site
Yes, about an inch or so. I have a native & I'm aware that it's not 'correct', however it makes my life a whole lot easier than trying to wrestle thick mane into a comfortable position under the headpiece, and means he's not uncomfortable when I get it wrong, so it's a no-brainer to me.

RubysGold

Visit site
I do.
I hate putting bridles on cobs with thick manes. One pony at my yard used to have this huge mane under the bridle and it must have been so uncomfortable
It's interesting this post is almost 50/50

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, I don't like them, especially in winter as I think they stop the mane providing natural protection against the elements and creates a cold spot just behind the poll.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No. I have natives. Even with 2 ft of mane its fine to part it & ensure forelock is forward before bridling up :)

Previously, only ever had it when hogging.
Otherwise with 'plaited' fuzzies, I've still done a tidy divide with comb & not clipped or scissored bridlepath.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I clicked yes cos she's hogged, so really big bridle path.... a bridle super-highway. :lol: We did trim a bridle path before she was hogged cos she just could not stand her mane being messed with and would stick her head up when bridled. Trimming the bridle path meant less fussing round the ears and as soon as it was cut the head up behaviour improved a bit. As soon as well hogged her it went pretty much altogether!

Granny never had one because her mane is so fine it just never seemed necessary.

rara007

Visit site
Only the hogged one as above. I don’t have trouble parting mane and forelock and think that’s likely more comfy than clipped hair anyway.

Fiona

Visit site
Yes, about an inch or so. I have a native & I'm aware that it's not 'correct', however it makes my life a whole lot easier than trying to wrestle thick mane into a comfortable position under the headpiece, and means he's not uncomfortable when I get it wrong, so it's a no-brainer to me.

I can't remember which native you have, but I've read the connemara breed standards and a small bridle path is allowed.

I hope the same is true for son's new Welsh sec A as she has one cut already.

Fiona

Nudibranch

Visit site
Not on big horses as they've generally been TB/WB types. Yes on natives with thick manes. I don't show any more. One had such a thick mane and tiny ears he learned quite quickly how to get out of his bridle without a path cut.

ponies4ever

Visit site
always. bridle sits better and its easier to plait. With the cob and removal of hair was useful but with the chestnut she had such a scraggy forelock i tended to do it quite far back (super thick mane though *sighs*)

elliejhb

Visit site
I do as my boy has a thick mane and forelock and helps when tacking up, but I'm not very good at maintaining it so currently has an amazing wavy Mohican going on at the moment!

paddi22

Visit site
Yeah always do it. A tack expert explained years ago how the extra hair puts extra pressure on the horses poll. It also gives an uneven pressure on the poll, and also an unlevel surface that can move, depending if the hair gets wet, sweaty etc. I'd always cut the bridlepath, it makes the bridle sit a lot better

paddi22

Visit site
when you think of it, theres no way the air would sit evenly under the headpiece. you would def get different pressure in some areas

Boysy

Visit site
Nope, never have and never will, simply don't see the problem, I have hairy natives, their forelocks are always longer than their manes so no problem defining which is which and the headpiece sits perfectly flat behind their ears despite one of them having enough thickness of mane to rival Tina Turner on a bad hair day. Their manes automatically part from their forelocks when I put their head collars on...

mandyroberts

Visit site
Sorry - I voted yes as I thought you were asking if we trimmed over grown branches from bridle paths! No I don't cut a bridle path in my horses mane. Remember at school they told you to read the question properly before answering.....

Mrs B

Visit site
Sorry - I voted yes as I thought you were asking if we trimmed over grown branches from bridle paths! No I don't cut a bridle path in my horses mane. Remember at school they told you to read the question properly before answering.....

At least you didn't read it as 'Do you trim a bridal path' ;)

Mule

Visit site
Yes I trim a bridle path. My horse has grown a mohawk over the winter so I'll be doing it again soon.

Auslander

Visit site
Occasionally - usually because I'm trimming his mane, and I get so bored by the time I get to the top that I clip the last couple of inches off! I'm on the fence about whether its better to have one or not (pulling versus spikes) - but he doesn't seem to mind either way.

Counterpoint

Visit site
No, I never kept on top of it so it was always half grown out, this means I can do the parting between mane and forelock, and I think its more comfortable than bristles.
I french plait the forelock so start about where the headpiece would start so its very neat for plaiting and doesn't push the headpiece onto the ears. The rest of the time its easy enough to pull it thorough.