Do you turn your horse out alone?

RIDMagic

Visit site
We are lucky enough to have winter turnout (albeit in a very muddy field) and I turn my horse out every morning at 8.30 before work. The yard owner brings her in for me at 3pm. Another lady had been turning a few of hers out pretty much every day, and she told me mine runs up and down for a few minutes when she fetches hers in, but then settles back down.

The problem is now that lady is only turning hers out on alternate days, so the rest of the week mine would be out on her own. She doesn’t seem to be stressed on her own, she might call a few times when I first put her out but she soon settles down, but obviously she is happier in company. Is it fair for me to be turning her out on her own for a few hours? Would I be better off leaving her stabled if there’s no company for her? Just interested to know if anybody else turns their horse out alone for short periods and doesn’t feel guilty about it?!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
That's one of the reasons why I have two horses on livery. Its such a pain being reliant on others for turning out.

Some horses manage ok, others don't. I don't suppose there is anyone else that turns out every day on your yard ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Better turned out alone than stabled all day. It's a good idea to get horses used to being out alone as circumstances change (eg regular companion suddenly needs box rest.) I've been training up my 2 yo homebred filly to do this. During the daytime in summer, I put her alone in a different paddock with much more grazing than the older two needed, and reunited them all each night. She accepts it without a fuss.

Agree that company is best, but it is not always possible. Also my filly is happy to wait to be brought in last for her twice daily feeds, there is no shrieking and stropping at the gate even though the others are temporarily out of sight.

RIDMagic

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I feel much less guilty now I know plenty of other people are doing it! If anything it’s probably a good thing to get her used to being alone. She’s probably not bothered in the slightest, it’s just me thinking about my poor horse stuck in the field on her own! Tiddlypom, I'm glad you've said it's better to be turned out alone than stabled all day. This was my thought too.

Unfortunately there are no other liveries that turn out every day – although they have vacancies so there should be more liveries in future, they just haven’t got round to advertising yet. It would be great for me as I could do with some more hacking partners!

joolie

Visit site
Mine isn't currently but was out a bit alone over summer. After a few neighs he settled very quickly and wasn't fussed at all. Likewise - I would much rather mine be out alone than stuck in. So long as she isn't really stressing she should be fine.

Deseado

Visit site
It's always a good idea to get horses used to being on their own - ours have to be able to work and be alone at times. Nothing worse than an hysterical, over-bonded horse running around like an eejit, likely to injure itself.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yes, it is a good idea to get horses used to being on their own - when they're young . . . but if you buy one at (say) 9 or 10 who has always had a problem with it, there's not a lot you can do other than try and make sure they always have company. And, yes, I speak from experience.

Kal is ok alone, if he has plenty of company all around him . . . but if left out while others come in will well and truly panic and I just can't risk him hurting himself. He has a little field companion where we are now - Roger the spotty shetland (who lives out) - and horses on two sides of his field (the other two sides are bounded by a hedge and the drive. The two coloured boys who live next to the top of his field live out, the mare who lives to the left comes in - but after him. It works for us - puts no'one out and I don't have a stressed horse pacing the fence line (or worse galloping about) because he is worried.

FWIW, I don't think I will ever be able to train him out of this quirk - so I make sure he lives somewhere his needs can be accommodated.

P

Kitei

Visit site
Yup, Harry goes out alone. He would have been able to go out with the two mares on the yard, but they're both on box rest, so instead he gets a field opposite the other geldings. At the moment, though, he's using the larger back field, so is completely on his own over there. Doesn't seem to mind too much, though I'm sure he'd prefer some company.

Frosty89

Visit site
I got my youngster used to being turned out alone quite early on and I'm so glad I did. I'd hate to have to keep her stable just because her usual field buddies aren't being turned out. She used to pace along the fence and whinny but doesn't anymore. It can be hard to ignore them especially when you know they are stressed, but it's been worth it in the long run.

BlackRider

Visit site
Yes - Apache goes out on his own and is happy.

I have tried him with the others, but as he was gelded late it didn't work out well, and he's fine by himself (he can't see other horses either).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It's always a good idea to get horses used to being on their own - ours have to be able to work and be alone at times. Nothing worse than an hysterical, over-bonded horse running around like an eejit, likely to injure itself.

Spot on. I make a point of teaching my pair of 2 year olds to accept being alone in the fields and on the yard.

PollyP99

Visit site
We are lucky enough to have winter turnout (albeit in a very muddy field) and I turn my horse out every morning at 8.30 before work. The yard owner brings her in for me at 3pm. Another lady had been turning a few of hers out pretty much every day, and she told me mine runs up and down for a few minutes when she fetches hers in, but then settles back down.

The problem is now that lady is only turning hers out on alternate days, so the rest of the week mine would be out on her own. She doesn’t seem to be stressed on her own, she might call a few times when I first put her out but she soon settles down, but obviously she is happier in company. Is it fair for me to be turning her out on her own for a few hours? Would I be better off leaving her stabled if there’s no company for her? Just interested to know if anybody else turns their horse out alone for short periods and doesn’t feel guilty about it?!

Yes my mare had two weeks in total isolation and is now out with other mares for some of the time, they come in and go out to their owners schedule (of course) so she spends certain parts of the day/days on her own and is often first out and last in. It's been a revelation to me as I had her down as the stressy type but in fact she seems totally at ease. If anything it has made her more confident in herself as I guess she has no herd leader to lean on. Before this move to livery she was out 24x7 with a static herd and was painful as she is very vocal and would call for the leader if she went out and equally call for her if I rode out with her on her own.

Certain situations suit different horses, mine it seems likes a busy yard and this makes her happy to be out on her own. In your shoes I would just take it as an opportunity to reinforce the habit of being alone without drama, I certianly wouldnt give her less turnout. If I knew how well mine would cope I would have done it ages ago as everything is easier if you have a calm horse who relies on you/themself for the lead.

Visit site
Kyra lives out alone 24/7, with horses either side. Shes a happy, well centered individual that never calls out and doesnt create when the other horses leave their field. I cant take credit though, someone very smartly taught her to be sensible alone.

GlitterPup

Visit site
Yep. Mine's out on her own. She was with 4/5 others in her past home but both times I saw her she was massively away from the 'herd'. Brought her home and she's never been out in company and she's fine :)

pippixox

Visit site
i think company is always best, but as long as your horse is calm on their own it is definitely better for them to get a leg stretch and fresh air.

starryeyed

Visit site
I think in the situation you describe then I would give it a whirl and see how it goes and how happy she is - is the yard owner around during the day, would she be able to keep an eye out and let you know if your mare settles or if she starts to worry?
It's always good for a horse to be able to be turned out alone but some cope with it better than others. We have three so one gets left when two go out for a hack together and he's perfectly happy, though it's only ever really been for half a day maximum. He's a clever little pony though and knows they will come back and is fine to potter about eating.
One will be left alone reluctantly, he will wander around and neigh a lot, is obviously happier with others but does no more than that. He doesn't get left alone much though.
My mare however does not "do" alone. She's always suffered very badly from separation anxiety and though I have worked on it and she has improved, she will panic and jump the fences if the others are out of site for longer than about 10 minutes, and even before that she will chase round and round the field screaming for them and slipping over, not caring where she's running or what she's running into. I think it will be a long process to change her attitude and realistically I don't think she will ever need to be alone (due to her always being the one being taken out and about) but feel its important for her to not be as dependant as she is - especially when they are just around the corner!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi, Mine is out alone as I don't like two in the field together for injuries. I had a nappy one, so arranged it so one was out in the day the other at night. After a week or two there was no nappyness at all, each horse was independent even if one was turned out and one ridden out up the driveway.
I would say give it a go. There are always horses who remain phobic, but it is great to have an independent horse if you can arrange to teach him it is OK to be alone.

RIDMagic

Visit site
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear how many of you turn your horses out alone! I now realise it's probably a good thing she doesn't always have company in the field. It's a very good point about the age of the horse, fortunately my mare is only 4 and doesn't have any ingrained anxiety issues to overcome. I do ask someone to pop their head over and make sure she's ok once I've gone, and she's always fine. Although she would obviously prefer company she doesn't get stressed on her own. It's a shame to hear about horses that get themselves so worked up, it must be very difficult to manage. I'm thankful I don't have that issue. Thanks again for everyone's replies.

jo2507

Visit site
Hi all, so glad I came onto this site and thread.

My mare is now out on her own occasionally (new yard moved on in summer) and I have been worrying about her and thinking will have to look for a new yard because I go to work wondering will she be alone all day. I know she calls when I turn her out but she doesn't charge around and just starts eating eventually.

Just need to stop worrying and I feel happier now reading all your replies.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine went out on his own all the time a few winters back, no one else turned out at all so he had a big gelding field all to himself, he was happy enough and will still go out alone even kept at home, my mare wont settle out alone she will jump out, so there all different and I wouldnt feel guilty better out than in I think.

4April

Visit site
my little welsh type cob will happily stay out on her own. my warmblood maybe i could get 30 mins alone if others were in fields next door. but she would be firey to bring in and apprehensive. the worse is if she was left alone and fieldmates brought in without her, she will gallop and pace about neighing. horses who'd have them....

marmalade76

Visit site
Whilst I would never keep a horse alone 24/7, I do expect to be able to have them turned out alone when needed, they can't all be ridden at once, can't always all go to a show and then there's box rest, different grazing needs at different times and so on. They might call at the gate for a minuet or two but soon settle and get back to grazing. I've only had one that couldn't be left alone and it was a total PITA and if I ended up with another like that it would soon be sold on.

catroo

Visit site
I would never have a horse alone 24/7 (think it's very cruel but that's not the point of the thread), in your circumstance it sounds like a good mix between company and independence on alternate days so I'd say keep turning out.