Do you wave thanks?

Ravenwood

Visit site
I am nearly always riding and leading two so I shout "Thank you" at the top of my voice!

I can't stand it when I pass a rider slowly and they completely ignore you - its so rude.

D

Donkeymad

Always try to wave and smile, if for any reason I need to keep two hands on the reins, then I nod and smile. Like everyone else here, it really annoys me when riders do not acknowledge I have slowed or even stopped for them.

saskia295

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do u wave thanks to cars if they slow down for you when your riding on the roads? I always do but everytime i go past others riders they never wave this does not look good for us as riders because next time that driver may not slow down for another rider. I just think if people said thank you more often drivers would'nt mind slowing down for us.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do everytime. I have a youngster who can be a bit of a handful at times so if I can't take my hands off the reins I nod. But really we should be at least acknowledging these people. There are so few drivers that slow down nowadays, if we aren't acknowledging them, why should they slow down next time?!

Also, if I'm driving and I go past some riders that don't say thank you, I will put the window down and have a word - it's bloody rude and there's no excuse for it
mad.gif

Alibear

Visit site
Usually a very definite nod and smile from me , can only wave thanks when horse is in a relaxed mood.

I expect I must look a right sour old trout on those rare occasions where I'm having to work very hard to keep neddy in control.

inkratlet

Visit site
I try to either nod, mouth thank you or wave, but I've had it happen a few times where the driver is blatantly not even looking at me so probably never saw it!

It bugs me when I'm driving and other drivers don't nod or wave at me if I stop for them, but I've never had that happen with riders. Probably because I don't pass that many horses or they are the people up the road who I know and they always nod or wave.

itsme123

Visit site
QR

I always wave thanks. If I couldnt take my hands off the reins I would nod and smile.

Passed a guy this morning who was wearing a flat cap and wellies , was riding one and leading two (both in headcollars) and he didnt even smile. Just totally blanked us. Arrogant sod, just the type that make drivers wonder why they bothered slowing down
mad.gif

Solstar

Visit site
I always wave at the drivers who slow down, it's even accompanied by a smile and a nod most of the time!

[ QUOTE ]
Im usually seen waving a different kind of thanks to stupid drivers

[/ QUOTE ]

^ thats what i do if they don't!!

minkymoo

Visit site
I find that if someone passes me widely & slowly, I am so grateful for their consideration I end up thanking them until they are out of sight! I had a lovely white van man pass me very considerately and I just kept waving & thanking him until he turned the corner! He probably though I was mad!!

I hate it when people are rude full stop. I simply don't understand why people hate riders so much?! I think it is a snobbery thing. Sad really. I also hope that these people who behave so appallingly to riders don't have little girls who want to learn to ride. How would they feel then?

Angelbones

Visit site
Oooo don't get me started on this one! I seem to be waging a one-woman war around here for riders to wear hi viz stuff and also for thanking drivers.

I feel that

a) you are a fool not to wear hi viz even on clear days, and if you do so you are saying 'I'm here, please show respect' and in return you should always thank drivers who pass you wide and/or slow.

b) I always turn to look round when a car approaches so if for some reason I can't wave a thank you then I can at least smile and mouth the words to the driver when they are looking at me, not when they have gone past me and may not see it in the mirror.,

c) I have been known to carry a schooling whip and on occasion tap a passing car with it if they are too close - they soon stop and ask if they have caught me - "just the end of my whip" I say and they give more space next time. Let's face it, if they are close enough to touch my whip, they are too close.

d) having said all this, unless there is plenty of room and it is safe to expect the car to pass, I will get off the road or trot to the nearest gateway and then wave them on.

e) I have also been known to stop the car I'm driving and get out and tell a rider who hasn't acknowledged my passing wide and slow that they are giving riders a bad name and may cause the driver not to slow for the next horse. Yes I've been in a few spats over the years but who cares?...I DO, ABOUT THE HORSE AND RIDER!

f) and finally... if someone p*sses past me when I'm riding I am likely to wave my arms up in the air in a 'what the hell was that all about' gesture and if they were to come back to have a go at me, I'd be ready!

Yes you've guessed it, I've got a bee in my bonnet about this, but having had a horse hit by a car transporter (narrow shady country lane) many years ago before hi viz was around, I think I'm entitled!

Peanot

Visit site
I always thank drivers. If there are a lot of cars in a row coming towards me, I tend to just nod - at all of them, otherwise I stick my hand up and thank them. I am so curteous, that I even thank drivers that havent slowed down at all., cos it is a habit.
I always stick my hand up as they go past from behind and in case they havent seen me, I thank them as they look in their mirror too. The road that I use is quite busy sometimes with lorries and buses, so I think that it is important as they remember the next time they see you.