do you...

Visit site
get emotinally attached to your horses and what do you feel when you come to sell them? im selling roxy in may and i know i will feel awful i wont be able to stop crying, so how do you all cope?
frown.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I've never actually sold a horse! When I was growing I had ponies and horses on loan so they were never actually mine then when I had finished growing my parents bought me my old boy who was with me till he died. I don't know how I'd feel but I'd be pretty selective about who I sold them to!

Helen010382

community.webshots.com
I can't help but emotionally attached.

We bought Zebedee as a project with the intention to sell him on after a few months - 6 years on - I still have him and will NEVER sell him!!

I have sold some in the past - all to fantastic homes and I'm still in contact with many of the new owners. It is hard but its worth it when the new owner phones you up telling you how happy they are and what they have been up to!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Terribly attached to them and too much for my own good sometimes. The bond I have with my horse is unmatched for me. I know someone people say what they feel for their dogs and small pets is the same, but not for me - no where near the same.

I have sold horses in the past - I sold 4 - all at the same time in my late teens when I was emigrating abroad. I kept my mare and she went out on loan and the rest of them I sold. I knew it was coming and I think I'd managed to detach myself somewhat before hand (plus I'd been abroad for most of the summer with someone else looking after them). So when I came to sell, it wasn't quite as bad (and I needed the money.. there was no way i could keep 5 horses while I was living abroad!)

Two have since been PTS and it really upset me on both occasions. I felt INCREDIBLY guilty as though, if I'd kept them, it might not have happened.

My current boy will never ever be sold. We're in the process of moving abroad yet again and there was no question this time of him going with me. Ultimate plan is to emigrate to New Zealand in a few years and again, he'll go with us - regardless of the costs involved.

Sometimes you have to sell.... but I do everything I can now to avoid it because its a harrowing experience.

catembi

Visit site
I have sold several horses for various reasons - mostly cos I wanted to compete at a higher level than the horse. I always get incredibly attached & find it very hard - but I have to look at it rationally & realise that 1) it's better for me to have a horse I get on with and 2) it's better for the horse to have a more suitable home.

The last horse I sold went to a lady who used to share my old mare - and he's FAR better off with her than he was with me. He loves being fussed over, & hacking out with lots of stops to talk to dog walkers but he DIDN'T like me trying to make him learn counter canter or jump high. He is loved to death in his new home. Altho it didn't stop me crying buckets!

Yuo have to remember that if you were BUYING a horse, you'd assure the old owner that you were going to give the horse the best poss home, & there are lots of buyers out there who are caring and knowledgeable who would give a great home to your horse.

It is def horrible thinking about it & going through with it, but in the long run, it's worth it.

Boodle

Visit site
Never once sold a horse.
Have ridden for people who have sold the horses ive worked so hard with... and it's absolutely devastated me. I just can't do it.

When I get a horse I promise it a home for life, no matter what.

sevenoceans

Visit site
never sold a horse in my lifetime all horses i had grew old, or had to be PTS for other reasons. My 18 year old TB who thinks he's recently backed 4 year old... he got plenty of spirit to keep going for few more years also i get very attached to them...

tanflislibs

Visit site
i would never be able to sell unless it was to a place i know and can go and see, thats what i think now, but if i every want to set up my dream yard/stud/etc it's going to be hard!!
tongue.gif
so i think i'll have to get over it one day. we never want to sell liberty, we have plans o keep her for me until i'm 16 for competing and schooling and hacking etc, then when i need a bigger, more advanced horse, libs will be mainly my mums, while i have my other one, and can still ride libs

MagicMelon

Visit site
It is hard. I get more attached to some horses than others, depending on their temperament etc. Ive had some for ages and only cried a little when they went but Ill always remember another who I only had for 2 months but I loved that little guy and it was SO hard!

The worst part is trying to hold it together as you've put the horse in the box to go to his new home. And the WORST part which killed me was the last 2 horses I sold - as they went off down the road in the trailer, they turned round and neighed. Talk about opening the flood gates. Jeezus.

But as long as you know deep down that its for the best for the horse then its not so bad. Just tell yourself that its selfish for you to keep the horse otherwise. Keeping in contact is excellent too. I have kept in contact with all my past horses and email the people a few times a year to keep up to date - the new owners love to tell me all about the horse so it works great! Ive even been to see 3 of mine! And plan to see another one I sold 4 years ago later this year. I find it harder to see them in their new home though, I always think horrible things like "why's he so thin?" or "I wouldnt do that!" etc.!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I actually only own one ( the other is permanently loaned) but I could not sell on the one I bought, mcfly. I get too attached to animals ( maybe a bit more than people, apart from very close family that is) and I could never bring myself to sell him.

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
The worst part is trying to hold it together as you've put the horse in the box to go to his new home. And the WORST part which killed me was the last 2 horses I sold - as they went off down the road in the trailer, they turned round and neighed. Talk about opening the flood gates. Jeezus.

A friend at our livery yard just sold her pony on thursday, he was missy's stable mate ...and he did the exact thing ... it broke my heart had to walk away . I did sell my mare in the sig when I was taken into hospital with bleeding in my second pregnancy cause I had spent alot of money rechooling her and physio she was at her peak it would have been unfair to her to put her out in the field for a year or whatever length of time i could ride again . So parted with her and blubbered the whole way to the box and back .
frown.gif
frown.gif
blush.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
My old pony turned round and neighed at me when she was going. It broke my heart selling her, I was very attached to her but I was too big for her, I wanted to do things and it was unfair keeping her when she could do what she did for me to some other person, I was very picky about who she went to but now she is with a fantastic family with a home for life.

I would never go through that again It was soo hard for me, I was in pieces for days after. You do get over it and I couldnt ever replace rosie but I love ben in his own right and will never compare the two as its unfair as they are two different horses.