Dobson and horrell build up?

piaffe

Visit site
Have I got that right? SOmeone suggestd this for my mare (if thats the right name). I just wondered if anyone had used it and how they would rate it?

thanks

Governor

Visit site
I've used pretty much every conditioning cube on the market. D & H is fairly good but for various reasons (barley free, controllable energy and quick results) I really rate Spillers Conditioning cubes over the rest i've tried.

TGM

Visit site
I used it on my veteran mare several years ago and it did a good job of keeping condition on her, it definitely worked better for her than the Spillers Conditioning Cubes. However, I did find it rather costly to feed at the recommended rate so eventually switched her to straights which did the job just as well, but more cost-effectively!

Build-up does contain cereals though, so might fizz up something that is sensitive in that way, although it wasn't a problem with my horse. What are you feeding her at the moment?

Dodson & Horrell produce two types of Build Up, a mix and a cube, more info about the products here:

http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/products/horse/weight-condition/

Persephone

Visit site
I used it with my elderly mare and it was good. Have never tried any others so can't compare, but it did get some weight on her. The most amazing difference came when I put her on Blue Chip Dynamic though. She gained 15kg in 3 weeks.

Jo x

MizElz

Visit site
I've found D&H Build Up cubes to be the best out there. Ellie has been blooming this year - even the farrier has commented on how he can see results of her gaining condition in her hooves! Much better than Baileys - they were a waste of money for me
crazy.gif

Puppy

Visit site
I don't rate D&H, and would *always* go for Spillers for mix or cubes if I were you. I used their conditioning cubes on Star for some years with great success (until she went onto their veteran products).

Have you thought about using a balancer? Topspec (senior) has worked wonders with Star
smile.gif

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
saracen equi jewel is another good one - it's about £30 a sack but I only have to feed 500g a day to my tb to notice a difference. It seems to work well on horses thathave enough energy for work but lack condition. The d&h and baileys were too much for my horse but the equi jewel and spillers cubes seem to be a good combo

Governor

Visit site
I'm a little wary of Blue Chip Dynamic. I heard of a local competition horse eating their entire salt block (not usual behaviour) and drinking all of its water in an attempt to 'detox itself' when it was switched onto this stuff. The horse and the stable were a mess.

not_with_it

Visit site
I wouldnt recommend it. It sent my mare loopy. I would however recommend spillers. I used the topline cubes which I really rate and I have just put my youngster on spillers conditioning mix. Hes been on it just over a week and there is a huge improvement. It adds condition without making them silly.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I really rate D&H and use all their products on my horses. The conditioning mix is fantastic, and I would seriously recommend trying it. Just remember though, like people, all horses are different, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

thedunthing

Visit site
yes it could have possibly been me that suggested it, it is exellent but yes it can make them alot more hyper lol it is great for putting weight on and giving them a shiny coat though, i fed it to my boy who was very lean when i got him and that was fab but did give him alot more energy which was a good thing at the time as he was quite lazy. my gran feeds it to her youngsters and it does a fab job with them but again can send them loopy

Penniless

Visit site
Have used it since it came on the market for all types of horses and it's brilliant and we've never had a horse "fizz up" using it either. The feed we won't touch at all is Blue Chip of any kind - it made a few of the horses we put on it absolutely evil - they reverted back to their normal placid selves once taken off of that (got bags free in a competition otherwise wouldn't have bought anyway).