docking

M

madabout2

New pup - Westie.
Has boken her tail (noticed small kink - which is why we choose her...) and now has to have it docked as it point back towards her bum.

She will loook VERY strange.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Yes but better that than the chance of her injuring it more and it becoming diseased which could eat into the spinal bone requiring massive surgery. You'll soon get used to it and it won't bother her..

M

madabout2

Exactly - but a bit annoyed that I didn't think the kink could have been something more when I bought her.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Has it been x rayed? Is it positively broken and flopping in the breeze or still a 'solid' tail, the only thing wrong is the shape of it?
The reason I ask is we had a Border Terrier bitch puppy born; even though I say it myself, she would have won at any championship show except that she had a kink in her tai on the last third; it almost doubled back on itself like a hook but it was as solid as a rock and did not affect her. Quite by chance, she was lame and had a x-ray when that part of her tail got included by accident. Instead of being an almost four square vertebre it was triangular in shape; the vet called it a butterfly vertebre (spl!) and as we had always thought, was a result of how she had formed in the bag in the womb due to lack of space in there (she was part of a litter of 8). She never had trouble with it for the whole of her life, in fact, it was part of her and her character, the reason why you chose this puppy in the first place.
So, my advice, for what it's worth, would be, if it's not actually damaged, to not have it amputated but if it is damaged well then, you really do have no option. Just be aware that your vet might just be clocking up the fees for no good reason other than cosmetic which has been known to happen before, so if it's not damaged, perhaps a second opinion might be justified?.
Let us know how it goes.

M

madabout2

No - deal already done - you saw the pup before you bought her.

Which is true

M

madabout2

We had the tail xrayed and it is broken in two places so is actually going to grwo like 3 sides of a square. Unfortunately the longer side being the underneath side - We were only bothered as she ends up in an awful mess at that end (rather like a sheep!!)if you get my meaning. Also mens she can't wag it.

still she is gorgeous!!

DiNorth

Visit site
frown.gif
ooo.gif
frown.gif

So sorry to here about the damage to your puppys tail
frown.gif
. very suuprised at a responsible breeder allowing the sale of such a pup without any mention of a prob
mad.gif

Was the tail like that when you collected your pup? If so the owners should def have told you. I would def contact them letting them know your are not happy & the expence you have inccured, not to mention the distress to the pup! If you get no joy from the breeder & the pup is KC reg I would certainly contact the kennel club & make them aware of the situ, could prob get written evedance from your vet.
I'm sure you're not looking forward to an operation on your pup, but as you obviously love it so much you will understand its in the pups best interest. Your pup will still be able to show you when she is happy etc.
I own & work a cocker spaniel who is docked to prevent injury while working, her tail wags non stop. Its the same with many terriers, they wag so fast its almost a blur. And when my dog is really happy she wags right through her body
laugh.gif

How old is your pup?