Docks have survived Doxstar :( Now what?

Beatrice5

Visit site
OMG I have the worst docs ever. Sprayed with Pastral and Doxstar in early April wilter looked dead then we had all that rain and hey presto out of the old wilted stumps big new healthy plants growing :(

The contractor had left some Pastrol in his sprayer and just added the requited Doxstar on top - May this have reduced the effectiveness or did he get the concentration wrong ?

Also my grass has now been rested for nearly 2 months and is totally stunted no growth at all. You can tell where he didn't spray ( he had to miss a chunk as some logs were awaiting collection ) as the grass is ankle length :(

Tried digging some up with my rag fork but the stems are like carrots and often a bit snaps off - Please someone advise me what to do next.

Desperate - my field is all buttercup and docs at this rate my horses will never be able to come home.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Visit site
Early April's a bit soon I think, or it was this year anyway. Had the Docks started the new growth when they were sprayed? If there wasn't any new growth the plant won't take up enough of the spray to kill it - the old leaves have a waxy feel to them. Try another hit of doxstar, or use pastor / grazeon this time. Our grass has only just started growing in the last few weeks, so if you can get the docks sorted the grass will soon catch up.

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
GRAZON 90....make sure the concentration mix is right.

I had dock problem and Grazon 90 sorted it out.

Took a couple of seasons but I did it alternate years. I now just spot spray and just have the buttercups next!!! But grazon will get rid of docks. Good luck

spacefaer

Visit site
We've just taken on a field and got it sprayed by a contractor before we put the horses on. He's sprayed with 2,4D for the general weeds and added a hormone based weed killer called Squire specifically for the docks.

He's pretty confident it'll kill'em!

kiteman0

Visit site
I've just spot sprayed around our farm with polo and pastor a little bit of both mixed. The ragwort has turned black with in the day and the docks have wilted.

Beatrice5

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

Will grazon on do the Buttercups? Will get a different contractor this time and hope we can get it sorted.

Going to read up on all your suggestions as would like to get buttercups and docks in one hit and be done with them for this season.

Also thinking a good dose of seaweed may help pick the grass up.

How I miss being on livery in times like this when someone else has the pleasure of pasture management ;0)

MillionDollar

Visit site
I think it's because you sprayed too early...........docks should be sprayed around mid April. If they are too small or too big they won't die. We had ours done, and it killed 95% of them. So we're just spot spaying the rest again, if that doesn't work we will top them (to stop them going to seed) and then re-spray in Autumn.

Last edited:

Shazzababs

Visit site
I think Grazon does kill buttercups, but double check.

It certainly does docks, stingers and thistles, but unfortunately not Ragwort.

I've only ever used it in a backpack sprayer, but I presume you can get it for boom sprayers. In fact I'd be interested to know because I have recently acquired one and once I have finished my current bottle of Grazon in the backpack I will spray with it in the future.

Zebedee

Visit site
Mirkan or Depitox for buttercups, but they can only be sprayed when in flower, so spring or Autumn, & only once in any growing season. I hit mine a few years ago with Mirkan in the Autumn & then again the following spring. That knocked them right back.

meesha

Visit site
I have docks and have sprayed them numerous times, it has almost got rid of them - but contractors have told us that docks are very resilient and usually do take a number of sprays to totally die !

Grazon 90 didnt work on buttercups for me at all - I got a contractor to spray (with something different dont know what it is) and it has reduced them but again not completely killed them off - the problem is most weeds will have dormant seeds waiting to sprout the following year (or so i understand it) I use Relay-P in backpack sprayer (think thats the name) and this will kill off buttercup but again you will need to spray a number of times (in different seasons) to totally get rid.

Flippin buttercup - you have my sympathies - we are riddled with the stuff !

Brigadoon

Visit site
I just got a package of stuff from ProGreen. They advise you and you can call for advice. I have patches of Docks and a wee bit with treatment resistant ragwort. I have Headland Polo and add Solar Plus in to sort out the problem ragwort. And Ragtime to spot spray ragwort & docks as and when. The guy was dead helpful as well. Highly recommend them.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The problem with spraying fields for broad-leaved weeds is that the weather HAS to be right - and the growth stage of the weeks needs to be right!

I wanted to spray docks earlier this year - but it was 1) too wet and 2) too cold! Now that it's dry enough, the ruddy docks are HUGE! If you spray them at the BIG stage, 1) it takes a LOT of expensive weekkiller, and 2) the big leaves will die all over surrounding grass and you'll end up with 12-18" diameter bare spots!

Sp what do you do? Well I'm currently topping all mine with the PLAN that I'll spray the regrowth in 2-3 weeks! If the weather is unsuitable then, I'll top them again (and again!).

paddocktractor

Visit site
How much did the contractor charge per acre?
Lots of chemicals should only be used once a year and it will slow grass growth for a few weeks after.
seaweed feed can be added with some chemicals and it stops grass stressing as much and aids growth.
Docks are woody weeds with big deep tap roots ,to do a good job you need everything on your side.
Lots of people like grazon but at 4 bottles to 2.47acre its not cheap so is only really good for spot spraying.

OMG I have the worst docs ever. Sprayed with Pastral and Doxstar in early April wilter looked dead then we had all that rain and hey presto out of the old wilted stumps big new healthy plants growing :(

The contractor had left some Pastrol in his sprayer and just added the requited Doxstar on top - May this have reduced the effectiveness or did he get the concentration wrong ?

Also my grass has now been rested for nearly 2 months and is totally stunted no growth at all. You can tell where he didn't spray ( he had to miss a chunk as some logs were awaiting collection ) as the grass is ankle length :(

Tried digging some up with my rag fork but the stems are like carrots and often a bit snaps off - Please someone advise me what to do next.

Desperate - my field is all buttercup and docs at this rate my horses will never be able to come home.

Beatrice5

Visit site
We have topped and will spray again when hopefully conditions are better to get the b***ers ;0)

I never knew paddock management was so complicated!!