does 24/7 turnout exist anymore at yards?!

Lexie81

Visit site
I've had the same problem found somewhere finally after lots of looking! Most places seem to expect you to stable at night, at least those with a school etc seem to. Hard to find yards that let you manage your own paddock, luckily the farmer I'm moving to does and also let's you split paddocks up etc for my lami pony where a lot won't let you do that either. I'm in sussex.

Sophstar

Visit site
Can I be cheeky and ask which company is running the auction? I have a friend in Fleet who may be interested.

Clive Emson auctioneers in Maidstone...goes to auction on the 16th i think. down crondall road...if they buy it do i get some grass livery as a recommendation?:D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Could you not try and find a farmer who'll rent you a field? Ok, you wouldnt have the facilities as such but if you were next door to a livery yard or something, maybe you could do a deal with them where you could use their school etc.

glamourpuss

Visit site
What MagicMelon describes is what I'm currently doing.
I have my horses turned out (luckily its my own land & I have plenty of it) I have a small riding school over the road & I have an agreement where I can use their facilities in return for some summer grazing :)
As I usually ride early before the riding school opens I have the school etc to myself.

PandorasJar

Visit site
We have 24/7 turnout. We have stables but they are for emergency use or drying off etc. Not for general use. We also have stalls for tacking, vet, farrier etc so all are used to coming in when needed.

I wouldn't ever stable again without good reason as think they are all far calmer out. Much more natural.

At my last yard they had to be brought in at night over winter. That was a factor that made me seriously consider moving (After having been told they could go out all winter originally) which was reinforced when overnight I lost my girl and got a wild terrified animal in place. They wanted her in after dark in a new home in Autumn even though I was told I could turn out overnight. I said that she was fine out thankyou and earlier notification is needed if they want to change their minds. They put their foot down and she jumped a gate back out :mad: This was a horse that had no fear of stables originally but was tried to be dragged back by torchlight and pissing rain and took a long time to get confidence back from one awful event.

Moved her home (after countless days and nights and tears) and wouldn't ever move her on. If OH and I ever split she would still stay there as I truly believe she's in the best place she can be. She breathed a sigh of relief getting off the trailer and I have no fear of what's happening when I'm not around as all the liveries and OH would never dream of messing with another horse without permission or in the event of an emergency. She's settled at night and in wind and new fields and companions etc.

I don't like cooping a horse up in a stable and think it gives far more time for other people to be winding up the horse, whether by just walking past or by stroking then ignoring.

The horses turned out are so relaxed that it can hardly being coincidence.

Pan

Starzaan

Visit site
I offer 24/7 turnout on my yard, 365 days of the year. All my stabled horses, and stabled liveries are turned out for a minimum of twelve hours a day, 365 days a year too. If I couldn't offer that I wouldn't be happy having a yard!

Toast

Visit site
The yard im on in Garstang is probably one of the only ones in our area that offers 24/4 turnout 365 days a year. The yard is very much DIY and if we trash the fields thats our loss! I love my yard and its taken me nearly 4 years to find a perfect one that caters to mine and my horses needs. They're out there just few and far between!

NickyS

Visit site
I think most yards don't offer it as it is to high mantince. My yard owner dosent usually let the horses in the field in the winter but she let us put them out for a few hours one day and the feild was wrecked !

PandorasJar

Visit site
I think most yards don't offer it as it is to high mantince. My yard owner dosent usually let the horses in the field in the winter but she let us put them out for a few hours one day and the feild was wrecked !

You mean you stable all winter?

I would never do that :confused: Our would just tear the stables down and rightly so!
We don't have an issue but are very sandy well draining soil. I'd rotate if we didn't have such good drainage. I wouldn't go somewhere without 24/7 turnout option again and would not be happy with less than 12hour turnout

Pan

rascal

Visit site
The livery yard we were on does grass livery but we prefer to rent a field for just our horses. We found at the yard no one would leave the horses alone, we would leave them in one field with hay/water and the next day they wold be in a different one without. Its the same in this area, no one seems to do 24/7 turnout.

sam1am

Visit site
Gosh I wish you lot lived here!
We have five liveries none of which want their horses out at night.
Despite our four horses living out 24/7 in summer they come in oct- march overnight.
We offer full livery with year round 24/7 turnout( Hayed in fields in winter) yet noone yet has taken up the offer even though none of their horses compete much or even get ridden daily, crazy me thinks.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Yep my boy is a TB and is turned out 24/7. They can stay out all the time if we want. Mine Comes in for the odd night in winter when weather is really bad but he much prefers to be out and just coming in for a bit during the day for a munch and a feed =)
Couldn't be on a yard that had restricted turnout!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Blame the rising cost of land, rising business rates which are at crazy levels etc. Its very hard in the S/SE to have decent facilities like school etc and not overstock the yard if you are wanting to make a reasonable living as a YO.

But I hate places that dont offer some form of daily turnout in winter. To me thats much worse than not offering 24x7.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Yes ours allows 24/7 turnout they only come in for the worst of the winter usually December- March. Don't think I would go anywhere that didn't give that option you save so much time and money with them living out! Not to mention better for the horses well being.

miss_wilson

Visit site
Yes! my new yard allows 24/7 turnout summer and winter! its fantastic!!!with a stable, menage, off road hacking on bridlepaths for £20 a week!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I think allot of yards find 24hr turn out non profitable .

1 . Horse out full time means owners grass feeds horse 23hrs a day
-thus owners cost for feeding is down, but YO gets very little money for grass kept.

2. You also have to move horses around to rest the fields more frequently .

I would never consider grass kept .

grass livery = 25 per week at a guess

owner spends £ 16 per week on field maintenance and thats before water - facility- bills inc lights etc water. fencing .

Not viable sorry

Don't think I would go anywhere that didn't give that option you save so much time and money with them living out!

^ exactly what I was getting at .

YO ends up paying more than the money that comes in

Last edited: