Does a 5 stage vetting include taking bloods as standard?

webble

Visit site
My friend and I were talking at the weekend and she mentioned an issue someone on her yard was having with a horse she had just bought and I asked if they had taken bloods. Friend said no they weren't included and were a few hundred pounds more and they had been for her too when she bought her horse (different vets)

My 5 stage included bloods being taken and stored for a certain period of time, is this normal?

L&M

Visit site
The last time I had a horse vetted I was asked if I wanted bloods taken, so not sure if it is 'automatically' included.

I imagine it will also bump up the price?

MissChaos

Visit site
The last time I had a horse vetted I was asked if I wanted bloods taken, so not sure if it is 'automatically' included.

I imagine it will also bump up the price?

It's standard on a 5* (and 2*s with some) - ultimately it will depend on the individual practice (including how it's invoiced, i.e. might be listed separately but shouldn't really be added on to the final vetting fee). With some, you may have to ask. Actual analysis and use of the sample is obviously a different matter.

I guess vets will double check if you want it as a 'casual' or 'routine' question (if that makes any sense!) as you might have agreed with the vendor for some reason not to and you were happy just to skip that bit.

ETA Forgot to say I hope nothing ever goes seriously wrong if her vets are charging 'hundreds' for bloods ;) Where did that come from?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Blood is taken as standard by most vets and stored for 6 months in case of dispute later, as far as I know the cost is included and is very little, certainly not hundreds unless they are tested.
As a buyer I would want them done and also as a seller it is in my interests to have some taken so it can prove, if ever required, that the horse was not sedated or on bute the 2 things most likely to be questioned later.

Jules19

Visit site
I've just got my invoice through for a recent 5 stage. The VDS blood sampling kit is an extra on top of standard vetting, but it was only £20.38 inc VAT so I'm unsure where 'the few hundred pounds more' has come from.

Just to say I was asked when booking it if I wanted bloods taken, scoping, X rays, all of which would be on top of the standard 5 stage vetting cost.

Last edited: