Does alfalfa heat horses??

miss_wilson

Visit site
my mare has been on simple systems lucie pellets and green gold for about a year, about a month ago i went to the feed store and found dengie alfalfa pellets and thought hmmmmmmm they look the same!!
however coincidence or not my mare has become a bit nuts?
think she is also in season and could be related to this? as she does get a bit spooky and lively when in season, was on oestress last summer that worked well!!

Just wondered if anyone had any experience?

And is simple systems lucie pellets majorly dis-similar to alfalfa pellets??

thanks

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I would say no with the pellets, I fed them for a while to my 33 year old who can be fizzy, he was fine, he just decided he didtn't like them anymore after about 8 months of eating them.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
alphalfa does keep them warm as is a long stem fibre and mainly digested in the hind gut, which keeps them warm. some can get fizzy on it, but also look at other elements of the diet too. you say your mare has lit up! well you have an increase in day light, spring in the air, hormones on the rise, temperatures on the rise so it could be down to several things! if the simple system feed worked for her i would suggest you put her back on it, and go from there!

whizzer

Visit site
Alfalfa chaffs send my TB nutty!
Took me years as well to work out it was the alfalfa, I kept changing everything else I was feeding & adding calmers!

miss_wilson

Visit site
Thanks everyone... think its a mix of changing lucie nuts to alfalfa pellets and her season!
Going to try stopping alfalfa pellets and see how we go!

rowan666

Visit site
i feed my hyper youngster on alfa a oil because its great for adding condition and condition mix jst made him dangerous! but also give him mollichaff calmer now to balance it out and have a lot less problems with him now! :D

Clarence09

Visit site
Alfalfa and lucerne are the same plant, so your Lucie Nuts should be similar nutritionally to the Alfalfa Pellets. If your horse has been getting on fine with the Simple Systems diet I doubt the the feed change has had an effect on your horses behaviour - more likely to be that she has come into season and that spring is in the air!

Puppy

Visit site
Dengie products with the Alfalfa pellets in send my boy completely bonkers! He becomes dangerous on them. However he was fine on the SS lucie nuts. Sounds like your horse is the same.